posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.racing

Default Anyone know about epoxy?

Pete Verdon wrote:
I've just about finished my first "A Pack" of West System epoxy, and
since my Dad was passing by the shop, that's only open when I'm at work,
I asked him to pick up more of the same. He came back with a pack of SP.

I presume this is pretty similar, but is it identical? I've got used to
the handling characteristics of the West stuff now. I'll also want to
swap the measuring pumps over from the old containers to the new - will
they a) fit the thread and b) avoid any undesirable reactions as the new
product meets the old in the pump?

Dunno... but... know some people who might know some people...

x-posted.

Andy

Andy Champ wrote:
Pete Verdon wrote:
I've just about finished my first "A Pack" of West System epoxy, and
since my Dad was passing by the shop, that's only open when I'm at
work, I asked him to pick up more of the same. He came back with a
pack of SP.

I presume this is pretty similar, but is it identical? I've got used
to the handling characteristics of the West stuff now. I'll also want
to swap the measuring pumps over from the old containers to the new -
will they a) fit the thread and b) avoid any undesirable reactions as
the new product meets the old in the pump?

Dunno... but... know some people who might know some people...

x-posted.

Andy

What's "SP" - a different brand?
If so, then it's not a good idea to use one brand of resin with another
brand of hardener. Even if the "part A" was formulated using the same
type of base commodity resin, the maker may add different reactive
diluents etc to adjust viscosity,or they may use a completely different
resin type, and that changes the ratio for mixing.
And talking of mixing, then these two pack epoxies rely on correct
stoichiometric ratio to achieve maximum mechanical properties when cured
- the correct ratio is very important. Too much resin, and the epoxy
cures too soft/flexible. Too much hardener, then although the resin
seems to cure hard and a little faster than usual, there's unreacted
amine/amide left in the otherwise cured resin. That draws in water, so
in any case but especially below the waterline, it eventually goes
cheesy or causes other major problems.
So if you bought matching packs of West System, and find out that you've
run out of one component before the other, then you need to ask yourself
why that might be.

If the "SP" is a different brand of resin, take it back and exchange it
for the right stuff.

On 11 Feb, 21:17, Andy Champ wrote:
Pete Verdon wrote:
I've just about finished my first "A Pack" of West System epoxy, and
since my Dad was passing by the shop, that's only open when I'm at work,
I asked him to pick up more of the same. He came back with a pack of SP.

I presume this is pretty similar, but is it identical? I've got used to
the handling characteristics of the West stuff now. I'll also want to
swap the measuring pumps over from the old containers to the new - will
they a) fit the thread and b) avoid any undesirable reactions as the new
product meets the old in the pump?

Dunno... but... know some people who might know some people...

x-posted.

Andy

I've used both on my plywood dinghy for repairs and found very little
difference between them other than colour, the Wests tends to be clear
and the SP is a little yellow. They both do a similar job in terms of
wetting out the wood . I've never used dispensers so can't answer that
question. I go by eye and it's always worked for me.

I've also coated my hull prior to putting Flag Copperquick* on it and
used both Wests and SP and once again so no difference at all in terms
of adhesion or coverage - the only difference being colour.

*Under no circumstances consider using Flag Copperquick. You end up
with a wonderfully burnished hull that turns slowly green and is very
attractive to both barnacles and the weed that grows on barnacles that
looks like blond pubic hair. I contacted Flag and they agreed that it
doesn't work and suggested I should be using their premium abrading
anti fouling.
posted to uk.rec.sailing,uk.d-i-y,rec.boats.racing

Andy Champ wrote:
Me wrote:

Okay - got it.
Small traces of contamination of one hardener and another, or one
resin and another shouldn't be a problem, but clean out as much as you
can, and perhaps flush and discard the first bit you pump through to
be safe.

My rant about correct ratios was based on some unfortunate experience
when I was selling epoxy resins years ago. We sponsored a well known
local boat in a round the world race, supplying resins etc to them for
free. By the time the boat arrived in Auckland (1/2 way in the race
in those days) much of the fairing work on the hull below the
waterline had either fallen out or turned to the consistency of cheese
(About Edam style, not as crumbly as Wensleydale, a little firmer than
well-aged brie). As you can imagine, they wanted desperately to blame
someone - and of course, that someone was me. Turned out that the
boatbuilder got in a bit of a rush, and had added extra hardener to
make the fairing compound set faster.

OP won't have seen this...

Martin wrote:

You can clean the pumps with methylated spirits.

... nor this 'cos someone kindly set the follow-ups to exclude the OPs
home group.

Andy

It was me :-0
My free ng provider wouldn't do the x-post, unless fu set as above.
posted to uk.rec.sailing,uk.d-i-y,rec.boats.racing

Sn!pe wrote:
Sn!pe wrote:

FWIW Solani my current free NSP has a similar rule, no crossposting
without followups set. However it will allow multiple groups in the
followup, per this post. Maybe Albasani is similar.

Oops! I seem to have been talking rubbish; no change there then.
I can only surmise that Solan's rule seems to be inconsistent.

Sorry for the red herring.

Ummm - but your post went through with multiple followups intact.
I'm trying the same in this reply - so if this comes through with f/u to
all 3 groups, you just made my day....

Nope - came back with an NNTP error telling me that I can only set f/u
to one group.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Champ[_2_] View Post
Pete Verdon wrote:
I've just about finished my first "A Pack" of West System epoxy, and
since my Dad was passing by the shop, that's only open when I'm at work,
I asked him to pick up more of the same. He came back with a pack of SP.

I presume this is pretty similar, but is it identical? I've got used to
the handling characteristics of the West stuff now. I'll also want to
swap the measuring pumps over from the old containers to the new - will
they a) fit the thread and b) avoid any undesirable reactions as the new
product meets the old in the pump?

Dunno... but... know some people who might know some people...

x-posted.

Andy
Thanks you for the post.

how much epoxy Clark Boat Building 3 October 2nd 06 12:00 PM
Epoxy fibreglass on top of epoxy primer seagoat Boat Building 2 December 1st 05 11:59 AM
Old epoxy--somewhat OT (but it's an epoxy question) David Todtman Boat Building 10 June 5th 05 03:45 PM
epoxy Drew Dalgleish Boat Building 7 May 25th 04 10:10 PM
Epoxy carlp Boat Building 0 January 13th 04 12:17 PM