posted to rec.boats.building
seagoat

Default Epoxy fibreglass on top of epoxy primer

I've got small hair cracks at fillet between the deck surface and
cabin side. It happened because there is a lot of putty with no
fiberglass layer on the top on it. It is painted with epoxy primer
(heavy coat) only. I like to add one or two layers of fiberglass using
epoxy. The deck, side cabin and the putty are polyester based.
My question is: should I sand the surface completely out of primer or I
can apply epoxy/fiberglass on the top of primer?
Thanks in advance
Adam

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

I've wondered about the same question when building cabinetry. It's be a
big time-saver to pre-prime sheets of plywood. I asked the Interlux tech
people and they were not willing/able to say that their 404/414 primer
(which is epoxy based) had any structural properties. Maybe the Gougeon
people might have an opinion. Let us know what you find out.

"seagoat" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got small hair cracks at fillet between the deck surface and
cabin side. It happened because there is a lot of putty with no
fiberglass layer on the top on it. It is painted with epoxy primer
(heavy coat) only. I like to add one or two layers of fiberglass using
epoxy. The deck, side cabin and the putty are polyester based.
My question is: should I sand the surface completely out of primer or I
can apply epoxy/fiberglass on the top of primer?
Thanks in advance
Adam

posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Nystrom

seagoat wrote:
I've got small hair cracks at fillet between the deck surface and
cabin side. It happened because there is a lot of putty with no
fiberglass layer on the top on it. It is painted with epoxy primer
(heavy coat) only. I like to add one or two layers of fiberglass using
epoxy. The deck, side cabin and the putty are polyester based.
My question is: should I sand the surface completely out of primer or I
can apply epoxy/fiberglass on the top of primer?

If you sand off the primer, you know it will work. If you don't sand it
off, it may not. It's your call, but I'd suggest breaking out the sander.

Balsa deck core Jim Boat Building 24 December 2nd 05 01:23 AM
Bottom paint on prop beaufortnc Cruising 50 December 1st 05 12:41 AM
Chem bond with cured epoxy [email protected] Boat Building 8 November 30th 05 10:28 PM
nu2 woodworking - my epoxied wood is delaminating,.. James Johnson Boat Building 1 October 23rd 05 05:06 PM
Anybody tried glueing cast aluminum parts together with epoxy? [email protected] Boat Building 23 October 16th 05 07:35 PM