posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.racing
LeeShore LeeShore is offline

Default Anyone know about epoxy?

On 11 Feb, 21:17, Andy Champ wrote:
Pete Verdon wrote:
I've just about finished my first "A Pack" of West System epoxy, and
since my Dad was passing by the shop, that's only open when I'm at work,
I asked him to pick up more of the same. He came back with a pack of SP.

I presume this is pretty similar, but is it identical? I've got used to
the handling characteristics of the West stuff now. I'll also want to
swap the measuring pumps over from the old containers to the new - will
they a) fit the thread and b) avoid any undesirable reactions as the new
product meets the old in the pump?

Dunno... but... know some people who might know some people...

x-posted.

Andy

I've used both on my plywood dinghy for repairs and found very little
difference between them other than colour, the Wests tends to be clear
and the SP is a little yellow. They both do a similar job in terms of
wetting out the wood . I've never used dispensers so can't answer that
question. I go by eye and it's always worked for me.

I've also coated my hull prior to putting Flag Copperquick* on it and
used both Wests and SP and once again so no difference at all in terms
of adhesion or coverage - the only difference being colour.

*Under no circumstances consider using Flag Copperquick. You end up
with a wonderfully burnished hull that turns slowly green and is very
attractive to both barnacles and the weed that grows on barnacles that
looks like blond pubic hair. I contacted Flag and they agreed that it
doesn't work and suggested I should be using their premium abrading
anti fouling.