posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.racing
Me[_2_] Me[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone know about epoxy?

Andy Champ wrote:
Pete Verdon wrote:
I've just about finished my first "A Pack" of West System epoxy, and
since my Dad was passing by the shop, that's only open when I'm at
work, I asked him to pick up more of the same. He came back with a
pack of SP.

I presume this is pretty similar, but is it identical? I've got used
to the handling characteristics of the West stuff now. I'll also want
to swap the measuring pumps over from the old containers to the new -
will they a) fit the thread and b) avoid any undesirable reactions as
the new product meets the old in the pump?

Dunno... but... know some people who might know some people...

x-posted.

Andy

What's "SP" - a different brand?
If so, then it's not a good idea to use one brand of resin with another
brand of hardener. Even if the "part A" was formulated using the same
type of base commodity resin, the maker may add different reactive
diluents etc to adjust viscosity,or they may use a completely different
resin type, and that changes the ratio for mixing.
And talking of mixing, then these two pack epoxies rely on correct
stoichiometric ratio to achieve maximum mechanical properties when cured
- the correct ratio is very important. Too much resin, and the epoxy
cures too soft/flexible. Too much hardener, then although the resin
seems to cure hard and a little faster than usual, there's unreacted
amine/amide left in the otherwise cured resin. That draws in water, so
in any case but especially below the waterline, it eventually goes
cheesy or causes other major problems.
So if you bought matching packs of West System, and find out that you've
run out of one component before the other, then you need to ask yourself
why that might be.

If the "SP" is a different brand of resin, take it back and exchange it
for the right stuff.