Default Teen pregnancies up thanks to abstinence education

Teen pregnancy, abortion rates rise
during Bush Administration

By Sharon Jayson, USA TODAY

The teen pregnancy rate in the USA rose 3% in 2006, the first increase
in more than a decade, according to data out today. The data also show
higher rates of births and abortions among girls 15-19.

The numbers, calculated by the Guttmacher Institute, a non-profit group
that studies reproductive and sexual health, show a clear reversal from
the downward trend that began in the 1990s.

About 7% of teen girls got pregnant in 2006, a rate of 71.5 pregnancies
per 1,000 teens. That's up slightly from 69.5 in 2005, Guttmacher says.
In 1990, when rates peaked, about 12% got pregnant.

Just as the long-term declines in teen pregnancy were for all racial and
ethnic groups, the rise in 2006 was for all demographics, the report shows.

***Guttmacher and others suggest the increase is related to a focus on
abstinence-only sex education programs under the Bush administration.***

Funding for abstinence doubled from 2000 to 2003, to $120 million. By
2008, funding was at $176 million. Guttmacher is an outspoken opponent
of abstinence-only education.

"The focus on abstinence and the shifts in pregnancy occurred about the
same time," says Guttmacher's Lawrence Finer.

"The issue here is clearly that we have a lot of teenagers who are
having sex, but they aren't careful enough at contraception to avoid
pregnancy," says Sarah Brown, executive director of the nonprofit
National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, who has seen
Guttmacher's numbers.

Some speculated a rise in teen birth rates reported last year was a
result of fewer abortions, but the data show otherwise. "There isn't
enough evidence to say there's a causal relationship, but pregnancies
overall are increasing, regardless of whether they're carried to term or
not," Finer says.

Those on the other side cry foul. "To me, it appears to be another
opportunity to throw a barb at abstinence education," says Valerie Huber
of the National Abstinence Education Association. She says that only a
quarter of federal funding for teen sexuality programs went to
abstinence in 2008.

In 2006, two-thirds of all teen pregnancies were to ages 18-19; data do
not reflect marital status.

Guttmacher's analysis shows a 4% increase in the teen birth rate and a
1% rise in abortion rates, based on federal statistics and Guttmacher's
abortion research. The National Center for Health Statistics will
release its pregnancy rate data later this year.

- - -

Abstinence Education...a right-wing wet dream...that leads to pregnancy.

Harry wrote:
[...]

Or maybe Harry got his shooter working again and started boffing teen
age girls like he used to.

Harry wrote:
Harry wrote:
[...]

Sorry, "flajims," but the real Harry uses a mac and doesn't post as a
Harry using "Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)"

Harry wrote:
Harry wrote:
Harry wrote:
[...]

Harry has access to a PC and is perfectly capable of using it to make a
convincing spoof, as we have already seen. In fact we have seen screen
shots of his desktop which included spoofing software. One might ask
oneself if someone has spoofing software on his desk top, would he be
likely to use it?
Ask your self these questions. Is this post a spoof? Am I responding to
a spoof? Why am I reading posts that are likely to be spoofs?

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 07:40:33 -0500, Harry
wrote:

Teen pregnancy, abortion rates rise
during Bush Administration

By Sharon Jayson, USA TODAY

The teen pregnancy rate in the USA rose 3% in 2006, the first increase
in more than a decade, according to data out today. The data also show
higher rates of births and abortions among girls 15-19.

god wasn't supposed to let this happen! they were just doing his
will...

wrote:

Teen pregnancy, abortion rates rise
during Bush Administration

What they don't say in the story is that among white non hispanics it
actually dropped almost 50% (86-44) 1990-2006

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf

The message must have worked for the kids of the folks spreading it. I
suppose that is just an indication of how out of tough the right is
with inner city people. Maybe we need two messages.

Leaping to racially based conclusions? I'm shocked.

More likely, suburban girls had and have access to better birth control
devices, including access to doctors and money to keep themselves
supplied with "the pill."

wrote:

Teen pregnancy, abortion rates rise
during Bush Administration

What they don't say in the story is that among white non hispanics it
actually dropped almost 50% (86-44) 1990-2006

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf

The message must have worked for the kids of the folks spreading it. I
suppose that is just an indication of how out of tough the right is
with inner city people. Maybe we need two messages.

Leaping to racially based conclusions? I'm shocked.

More likely, suburban girls had and have access to better birth control
devices, including access to doctors and money to keep themselves
supplied with "the pill."

Looks like it dropped by about the same percentage for non-whites, too.

wrote:

Teen pregnancy, abortion rates rise
during Bush Administration

What they don't say in the story is that among white non hispanics it
actually dropped almost 50% (86-44) 1990-2006

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf

The message must have worked for the kids of the folks spreading it. I
suppose that is just an indication of how out of tough the right is
with inner city people. Maybe we need two messages.

Yeah, their outreach program of abstinence really made a difference in the
inner city.

--
Nom=de=Plume

Abstinence Only Leads to Motherhood HK General 17 May 13th 09 12:14 AM
Pledges of Abstinence Ineffective Boater[_3_] General 53 January 4th 09 03:00 PM
Abstinence? katy ASA 48 December 4th 06 05:57 PM
Teen not killed by prop Real Name General 0 July 18th 05 01:48 PM