HK HK is offline

Default Abstinence Only Leads to Motherhood

President Obama vs. Bristol Palin on Abstinence-Only Education

May 08, 2009 7:44 AM

Unwed teenage mother Bristol Palin might be out there talking about
abstinence, but President Obama isn't buying abstinence-only education.

Two $100 million programs from his predecessor's budget pushing
abstinence only are casualties in President Obama's $3.55 trillion
budget proposal.

The President is replacing them with $110 million “for teenage pregnancy
prevention programs that have been proven effective through rigorous
evaluation," as spelled out on pages 490 to 495 of the budget appendix.

Rep. Diana DeGette, D-Colo., applauded the move, saying "eliminating
funding for ineffective abstinence-only programs is a win for science.
The Obama budget proposal invests in programs that are effective and
based on sound science, rather than wasting millions of dollars on
efforts that have been proven to be ineffective at best."

Palin, meanwhile, told GMA's Chris Cuomo that "regardless of what I did
personally, I just think that abstinence is the only way you can
effectively, 100 percent foolproof way you can prevent pregnancy."

She didn't have an answer readily available when pressed on how her
personal story squares with the abstinence only campaign she's pushing.

"I'm not quite sure, I just want to go out there and promote abstinence
and say, this is the safest choice," she said. "This is the choice
that's going to prevent teen pregnancy and prevent a lot of heartache."

*A recent study in the journal Pediatrics indicated that teenagers who
make "virginity pledges" to remain chaste until marriage are no less
likely to engage in premarital sex but significantly less likely to use
birth control.*

"Taking a pledge doesn't seem to make any difference at all in any
sexual behavior," Janet E. Rosenbaum of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg
School of Public Health told the Washington Post. "But it does seem to
make a difference in condom use and other forms of birth control that is
quite striking."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...ent-oba-3.html

- - -
DK DK is offline

HK wrote:
[...]

How long are you going to dwell on Palin, WAFA?

On May 9, 8:35*pm, DK wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]

How long are you going to dwell on Palin, WAFA?- Hide quoted text -

What is so absurdly stupid about this post is that abstinence is
indeed the only 100% affective way to not get pregnant. Even a moron
of Harry or Don's level can figure that out!
Tim Tim is offline

On May 9, 4:58*pm, HK wrote:
[...]

Amazing Harry. absolutely amazing.
Senior Member

On May 9, 8:35*pm, DK wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]

It's the big brave progressive, picking on little girls and other
helpless foe's...

HK HK is offline

Tim wrote:
On May 9, 4:58 pm, HK wrote:
[...]

Yes, indeed, sometimes science is amazing.

"*A recent study in the journal Pediatrics indicated that teenagers who
make "virginity pledges" to remain chaste until marriage are no less
likely to engage in premarital sex but significantly less likely to use
birth control.*"

Is it because the teens who make virginity pledges are just plain dumber
than the ones who do not? :)
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On May 9, 8:35 pm, DK wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]

Bristol Palin simply engaged in premarital sex and got pregnant. If
there is blame in that family, it should be placed at the feet of her
mother, who did not properly educate her daughter and quite possibly
forced young Bristol to not get an abortion.

"HK" wrote in message
m...
wrote:
On May 9, 8:35 pm, DK wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]

You refuse to admit that education is not necessarily reduced to practice by
the recipient.

HK HK is offline

D.Duck wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
m...
wrote:
On May 9, 8:35 pm, DK wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]

Young unwed girls are impregnated every day by their boyfriends. There's
no news in that. Bristol's former beau admitted during a TV interview
that sometimes the couple practiced safe sex and sometimes they did not.
That sounds about average.

As I stated previously, I do not fault Bristol Palin for engaging in
teen sex. Most teens are sexually active, especially by the time they
are close to finishing up high school. That was true when I was in high
school and if anything it is *more* true today.

Neither Ms. Palin nor her boyfriend seem to be very bright, but I can
only base that on their few appearances on television. There's no
evidence either teen was "educated" properly in matters sexual. In fact,
it is unlikely Bristol received any pragmatic sex education from her
mother.

The former boyfriend also stated in interviews that Sarah Palin was
aware her daughter was sexually active before the girl got pregnant. A
smart, concerned mother would have taken a daughter aside and made sure
she was practicing safe sex. Somehow, I have the feeling Sarah Palin did
not do this. I also have the feeling that when Bristol found out she was
pregnant, she probably wanted to get an abortion, but mama said no. It
wouldn't be easy for a young girl like Bristol living in Alaska to
obtain an abortion on her own.

I also get the feeling the Palins are very casual about certain matters.
Sarah Palin at her age had no business getting pregnant, especially
since she already had a full brood of rugrats. When an amniocentesis
early in her pregnancy showed she was carry a fetus with Downs syndrome,
she made the wrong choice. Casual. I don't for a NY second believe her
sense of "morality" intervened, because she certainly is not a person of
high moral character.

Pledges of Abstinence Ineffective Boater[_3_] General 53 January 4th 09 03:00 PM
Abstinence? katy ASA 48 December 4th 06 05:57 PM
OT; OK Joe, your boy Lance leads Thom Stewart ASA 4 July 22nd 04 09:39 PM
Don't Know leads the Democrats Horvath ASA 0 December 19th 03 02:27 AM