Tim Tim is offline

Default Hypothetical question

Well maybe not. But seeing the creation, religion,evolution thread is
getting so long, I thought I'd ask a hypothetical question. Well maybe
it's not as hypothetical , but here goes.

If an English lit teacher was passing out assignments assignments for
students to give a book report. Various books are chosen, some long ,
some short.

OK, the list has several *options* None are specifically required.
Here's a sample list:

"To Kill a Mockingbird"
"All Quiet one the Western Front"
"Gulliver's Travels"
"Moby Dick"
"The book of Matthew"
"Oliver Twist"
"The Trial"

etc, etc.

Notice included is the Gospel account of Matthew. Would this be
considered as promoting religion?

AND! Even if it was required reading. could it be used for literary
purposes only?

Just curious.

On 10/8/09 8:24 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

A. By itself, yes, it would be promoting religion. But...as you well
know, there are novels that include biblical passages in their texts.
Why, some of them are on your "sample list"! What a surprise. :)
Moby-Dick, my favorite novel, is nothing if not a religious allegory.

B. The King James bible is a wonderful example of beautiful writing in
the English language, and it certainly could be used as an example of
literature and studied for its literary prowess. That, of course, would
include the gospel of Matthew, which, in addition to its literary
merits, is also a sales letter of the first magnitude. It is perfectly
appropriate for *college* students to study the bible as a literary
work. I did, in getting my masters. It is not appropriate for study in
any manner in public K-12 schools.

C. You obviously are aware of the "connections" between Oliver Twist and
the Church of England. :)

Very clever...

--
Birther-Deather-Tenther-Teabagger:
Idiots All
Tim Tim is offline

On Oct 8, 7:50*am, H the K wrote:
On 10/8/09 8:24 AM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Idiots All- Hide quoted text -

Sure thing about Ollie. But it is also regarded as classic literature.

Actually I would say that what I posted above isn't actually that
Hypothetical. My highschool teacher (incidently a Lutheran pastors
daughter) proposed about 25 various books to be read. More than what I
listed. Again, none were asigned but all were optional. In my Lit
class of about 18 kids, I and three others chose Matt. two of the kids
were unbelievers. Reports were given and one of the unbelievers got a
higher grade than I. but all was done on a literary and not a
theological stand point.

I would probably have done a report on Mein Kampf if it was available.

?;^ )

"H the K" wrote in message
On 10/8/09 8:24 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

I would imagine it would be appropriate for high school students also, as
long as reasonable parameters are given.

--
Nom=de=Plume

Tim Tim is offline

On Oct 8, 12:51*pm, "nom=de=plume" wrote:
"H the K" wrote in ...

On 10/8/09 8:24 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Nom=de=Plume- Hide quoted text -

Which even today, I believe were.

On 10/8/09 1:51 PM, nom=de=plume wrote:
"H the wrote in message
On 10/8/09 8:24 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Possibly, but I prefer to keep the door of separation slammed as shut as
possible.

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

As long as it was treated as literature, thus including information as to
the possible author(s), the historical context, and perhaps a comparison to
other, similar works, it would not be promoting a religion. I've had several
classes where portions of religious works were discusses. No big deal.

--
Nom=de=Plume

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 05:24:40 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

[...]

If the purpose of the assignment was to promote religion, then it
would be promoting religion. If the purpose was to have the students
read decent writing and practice writing, then it would not be
promoting religion.

Of course, the ACLU and other atheists would probably disagree with
that. But then again, they would probably applaud the idea of
assigning a book report on Mao Zedong's Little Red Book.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

[...]

assigning a book report on Mao Zedong's Little Red Book.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, like I said, I would have probably done a report on Hitlers Mein
Kampf if it was on the list, the "little red book?" That would have
been interesting too.

But today anything biblical or any book that might have a reference to
biblical scriptures probably wouldn't be available.

Some where down the line they've probably been replaced with the works
of Kate Chopin.