HotRod

Default Hypothetical Boat for Great Lakes?

Does anyone here want to entertain building ideas for a hypothetical boat?
If so please keep physics real....IF there is such a thing

Here are the requiremements

1) 25' boat (not a live aboard)
2) mono or cat hull
3) Speed vs. Cost is an issue
4) Most comfortable ride
5) For use on Great Lakes in rough water for day and weekend trips and some
light tubing skiing.
6) Diesel engines
7) Build cost isn't an issue (Carbon Fiber, Fiber Glass etc. etc.)
8) Max crusing speed around 60+ mph

Right now I'm picturing a 25' Offshore Cat with a lot of toys and radar
tower...

Bob La Londe

"HotRod" wrote in message

5) For use on Great Lakes in rough water for day and weekend trips and
some light tubing skiing.

There aren't any 25 footers I would want to be out ont he great lakes with
in rough water. If there is a smallc raft warnign find shelter immediately.
Hide in the lee of an island, run fromt he storm or get into port. The
charter captains all run for port if a storm approaches.

Don't know about the rest of your stuff/

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

HotRod

What would be a decent length for the great lakes? remember this isn't for
living aboard and when I say rough I just mean 3' waves close to shore. I've
been out in much rougher water but haven't ventured far into the open water.
Actually now that I think about it every time I've been in really rough
water it's either been an old friends jet boat or a jet ski???? No interest
in a jet powered boat though.

"HotRod" wrote in message
Does anyone here want to entertain building ideas for a hypothetical boat?
If so please keep physics real....IF there is such a thing

Here are the requiremements

1) 25' boat (not a live aboard)
2) mono or cat hull
3) Speed vs. Cost is an issue
4) Most comfortable ride
5) For use on Great Lakes in rough water for day and weekend trips and
some light tubing skiing.
6) Diesel engines
7) Build cost isn't an issue (Carbon Fiber, Fiber Glass etc. etc.)
8) Max crusing speed around 60+ mph

Right now I'm picturing a 25' Offshore Cat with a lot of toys and radar
tower...

Matt Colie

I don't agree at all.

We often put out when the weather looks bad. That is the time when
there there are fewer boats out on the pond driven (not piloted) by
people that don't know rules of the road or basic courtesy.

My boat is only 26ft. Very comfortable for weekend cruising and such,
but not much for skiing I'm afraid.

Matt Colie

Bob La Londe wrote:
"HotRod" wrote in message

5) For use on Great Lakes in rough water for day and weekend trips and
some light tubing skiing.

There aren't any 25 footers I would want to be out ont he great lakes with
in rough water. If there is a smallc raft warnign find shelter immediately.
Hide in the lee of an island, run fromt he storm or get into port. The
charter captains all run for port if a storm approaches.

Don't know about the rest of your stuff/

HotRod

I agree with Matt, the Best time to be on the lake is when no one else wants
to be. I specifically like foggy mornings and a little chop.

Bob La Londe

"HotRod" wrote in message
What would be a decent length for the great lakes? remember this isn't for
living aboard and when I say rough I just mean 3' waves close to shore.

Ah, that makes more sense. Of course I can run a bass boat in 3 footers and
worse. (and have) Just about anything you want in a 25' rig should handle
three footers safely. My dad runs a 22' Bayliner walk around cuddy with
twin 150s for fishing that stuff. It does great. His 24 foot Searay with
twin 4 cyl Chevy I/Os is a better ride, but he prefers the lighter more
efficient Bayliner. And for those who would denigrate Bayliner... I would
have to agree. The transom rotted out (with no external damage) on it after
only a couple years and he had to have it rebuilt at his own expense.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Lew Hodgett

"HotRod" wrote:

What would be a decent length for the great lakes? remember this isn't for
living aboard and when I say rough I just mean 3' waves close to shore.

Sounds like you plan to stay yied to the dock at least 75% of the time,
in which case, anything that floats and supports a cooler will do the job.

Lew

Former Lake Erie sailor
Bob La Londe

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
"HotRod" wrote:

What would be a decent length for the great lakes? remember this isn't

for
living aboard and when I say rough I just mean 3' waves close to shore.

Sounds like you plan to stay yied to the dock at least 75% of the time,
in which case, anything that floats and supports a cooler will do the job.

Been a while since I was on Lake Erie, but I was thinking something to that
affect. I have run 4-6 footers of a much shorter period on Mead and Powell
in a 17'8" Ranger. We got a little wet, but we never shipped water. I'd
have no worries about running 3 footers in my 20'3" BassCat. When somebody
says rough though I think small craft warning weather not three footers.

Of course having seen the damage Erie can do gives me a lot of respect for
that lake.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Roger Derby

I might suggest that "most comfortable ride" and "60+ mph" would combine to
require a hydrofoil.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm