posted to rec.boats.building
Lester Evans

Default Deck delamination, purchase question, how to do the deal .. question

Here is the situation. The boat I am interested in is OK, # one, in most
areas. Old engine, will get it checked out.

After checking over the deck very thoroughly, the "dull" sound of
delamination was discovered near where the dodger snaps are set in the cabin
roof. I never liked the thought of putting dodge snaps into a fiberglass
deck and this confirmed my thinking. How can the little snaps be bedded?
As far as I could tell, they just go through the top layer of fiberglass,
they are not supported below or anything.

It looks like moisture has entered behind the snaps. This has caused some
delamination around the area on the cabin roof.

Not a big area. The tapping of the cabin roof deck showed this. I don't
think this is totally wet core, more like delamination. But, it definitely
needs to be attended too.

I am in the buying, negotiating stage of this boat. I haven't made an offer
yet. Talked a little about it, but no real money has been put on the table.

The boat is some distance from my house, not real far.

What would you do? Should I ask that the area be repaired before a deal is
struck. Should I say "this is my offer subject to repairing this area" ...
or should I say "I am deducting XXX dollars from my offer for the
delamination repair".

I checked Don Casey's book. He shows how to drill a small number of holes,
fill with thickened epoxy, put some weight on the deck and let it dry. This
will do it, I'm sure.

But, since it is below the deck ........... the old "who knows" has me
worried.

If the area is just delamination caused by moisture getting in from the snap
holes ........... and I repair the area .........

What do I do about the snaps.

The snaps are the little thingy's that the dodger attach to.

I sure hope someone can help. I am very close on this boat.

My heart is singing and my head is issuing a warning.

HELP... Please ..

posted to rec.boats.building
Bob La Londe

"Lester Evans" wrote in message
[...]

Unless its very cheap compared to similar boats and you LIKE doing this kind
of work find a different boat.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Lester Evans wrote:
[...]

I bought an old boat that had a small area that was delaminated
thinking that it only affected a small area and should be easy to fix.
I opened it up and found more and more core material that was rotten --
basically the whole deck was affected. Based on my estimate, almost
25% of the deck core material was completely rotten, 30% was very
questionable, 35% looks "OK" but was very wet, and the remaining 10% is
sound and is dry. The fact that most of the deck areas were not
delaminated doesn't mean that those areas were good -- those areas have
enough bracing to prevent them from getting delaminated right away --
but the core material was either rotten or not-very-sound.

I am in the process of replacing all the core material on the entire
deck. Hope you will have a better luck.

May be a surveyer who arms with a moisture meter will be able to tell
how extensive the potential damage is.

Jay Chan

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

If the area is truly limited, and i owned the boat, i'd seal the dodger
snaps carefully and get on with life. Rotten cores become a problem when
they affect heavily loeded hardware like winches or cleats. If purchasing,
it's not a deal breaker.

[...]

Terry K

You might suggest a value for the repair and allow the seller to decide
wether to fix it or deduct the cost. It's a gamble.

Dodger snaps would likely be pop riveted or screwed into the top layer
of glass, as opposed to through bolted. Water might have gotton into
there, and will work it's magic as time goes by. Replacing rotton core
is a job you would want to avoid, but it is by no means an
insurmountable difficulty, especially if the dead sound is only in one
small area accessible from underneath, dressed up with headliner.

Beware of quick slap up repairs by the owner to facilitate a quick
sale.

Terry K