Default Travel trailer air conditioner

Had our little rig out this past weekend, down to Williamsburg, VA,
where the temp climbed into the 90s on Saturday. Last time we were in
that kind of heat the air conditioner kept popping the circuit
breaker.

This time the AC worked well. Don't know if the problem was the
circuit breaker or not, but at least we kept cool this time.

We stayed at the American Heritage RV park, which is a nice place to
stay if you're ever in that neck of the woods.

Tom or Dick, if either of you happen to read this, last year one of
you suggested an instrument for testing the current at camp sites. I
didn't get it then, but want it now. Could you remind me again what it
was, please?
--

John H

"John H" wrote in message
Had our little rig out this past weekend, down to Williamsburg, VA,
where the temp climbed into the 90s on Saturday. Last time we were in
that kind of heat the air conditioner kept popping the circuit
breaker.

This time the AC worked well. Don't know if the problem was the
circuit breaker or not, but at least we kept cool this time.

We stayed at the American Heritage RV park, which is a nice place to
stay if you're ever in that neck of the woods.

Tom or Dick, if either of you happen to read this, last year one of
you suggested an instrument for testing the current at camp sites. I
didn't get it then, but want it now. Could you remind me again what it
was, please?
--

John H

Other than a multimeter, I don't recall a specific "tester" for RV service
outlets.
A multimeter will allow you to check for proper voltage and polarity.

BTW, you should have included Harry in your request for info.
Then you would have addressed every "Tom, Dick and Harry" ...

Oh well. Early in the morning, I guess.

Eisboch

On Jun 22, 7:54*am, "Eisboch" wrote:
"John H" wrote in message

[...]

Eisboch- Hide quoted text -

And Harry would have known the answer, because he knows everything
about anything, just ask him!

Eisboch wrote:
"John H" wrote in message
[...]

Pretty witty. How many coffees so far this morning, 3 or 4?

There is a plug in tester at camping world that seems to offer all the
informatiom you need. Voltage Frequency Amps and polarity. It didn't say
how many amps though. One thing though. Ant testing you do should be at
the power pedestal BEFORE you hook your camper to it. That means you
need to use an adapter to convert from a 30A receptacle to a 15A
receptacle.

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:23:37 -0400, Jim24242
wrote:

Ant testing you do should be at
the power pedestal BEFORE you hook your camper to it. That means you
need to use an adapter to convert from a 30A receptacle to a 15A
receptacle.

You can stick any meter probe in any recepticle, so what is the
problem. You should have a digital multimeter in any case.

Casady

wrote:

Ant testing you do should be at
the power pedestal BEFORE you hook your camper to it. That means you
need to use an adapter to convert from a 30A receptacle to a 15A
receptacle.

You can stick any meter probe in any recepticle, so what is the
problem. You should have a digital multimeter in any case.

Casady

Some of these characters would hurt themselves trying to use a multimeter.
JohnnyPrepH would be best paying someone to perform the tests.

wrote:

Ant testing you do should be at
the power pedestal BEFORE you hook your camper to it. That means you
need to use an adapter to convert from a 30A receptacle to a 15A
receptacle.

You can stick any meter probe in any recepticle, so what is the
problem. You should have a digital multimeter in any case.

Casady

There are those among us that are not handy with tools.
Think convenience. You can plug in any of number of testers designed to
do the needed testing. Or hold the meter in one hand, the first probe in
one hand, the 2nd probe in another hand and, hey wait a minute, you need
3 hands.

wrote:

Ant testing you do should be at
the power pedestal BEFORE you hook your camper to it. That means you
need to use an adapter to convert from a 30A receptacle to a 15A
receptacle.

You can stick any meter probe in any recepticle, so what is the
problem. You should have a digital multimeter in any case.

Casady

There are those among us that are not handy with tools.
Think convenience. You can plug in any of number of testers designed to
do the needed testing. Or hold the meter in one hand, the first probe in
one hand, the 2nd probe in another hand and, hey wait a minute, you need
3 hands.

Two probes in one hand. Ever hear of chopsticks? A billion people can
handle those ****ers. It takes two dice, but only one hand,
to shoot craps. When I started sailboat races I had to manipulate,
simultaniously, a stopwatch, a shotgun, and two flags.

Casady

"Jim24242" wrote in message

There is a plug in tester at camping world that seems to offer all the
informatiom you need. Voltage Frequency Amps and polarity. It didn't say
how many amps though. One thing though. Ant testing you do should be at
the power pedestal BEFORE you hook your camper to it. That means you need
to use an adapter to convert from a 30A receptacle to a 15A
receptacle.

The only problem with that .... John ... pay attention..... is that if
the RV site's wiring or power is lacking, it will not show a voltage droop
with any load. In other words, the voltage may read 120vac under no load,
but after he plugs in and fires up the AC it might droop. He can find out
by measuring the voltage before he hooks up and then again with the AC
running at any 120vac outlet in his camper, assuming it is not powered by a
converter. Usually the microwave and the AC are not run through the
converter, so either of the power sources inside the camper could be
checked.

The voltage at the remote power setup I had in Florida used to droop to
105vac on some days. Bad for the AC compressor. That's why I bought the
buck/boost transformer.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
"Jim24242" wrote in message
[...]

There's a difference between "Droop" or sag and voltage drop under load.
The sag can be detected without hooking up a load.

Travel Trailer AND Boat Berta General 16 September 26th 07 05:24 AM
How far do you trailer / travel with your boat? Genius? Not! General 23 July 28th 05 06:29 PM
FOR SALE: 1999 Mallard 37 foot Travel Trailer Glenn S. General 9 December 1st 04 06:11 AM
FS: Boat Air Conditioner in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 February 18th 04 04:03 PM
FS: Cruisair Air conditioner in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 December 31st 03 01:27 PM