Calif Bill

Default Bearing Buddy (With Photos)

Blows out the rear seal. The one at the back of the hub, that rides on the
spindle.
Bill

"Buck Frobisher" wrote in message
news

"Ackermann" wrote in message

"No Spam" wrote
One
thing I would like to mentiuon is also purchasing a pair of Bearing

Buddy
Bras. They are rubber "caps" that fit over the Buddies and keep grease
from spreading over your rims and tires. I keep mine in place (cuz I

used
lose a few) by securing them with 11" plastic tie straps pulled very

tightly.
The when I need to re-grease I snip the tie strap and remove the bra,
grease it, and put on a new tie strap.

Ron.

That's someting I'll second. Before I picked up a pair of those at the
Barrie Boat Show a few years ago, I had filthy wheels all the time, and

went
through a lot of grease. You won't get a thousand miles between adding
grease without the bras. The BB throws out a lot! The bras keep

everything
nice and neat, just like the original caps do.

I'll have a look at their site to see how the cleaning thing goes. In 7
years with this trailer, I've not once cleaned them out and repacked, just
careful attention to making sure they have grease.

Actually, I pump the grease through it till it flows out, and often flush

lot of crappy looking stuff out. What is it that would "blow" from
pressure? The retainer cap (held by the spring) looks like metal to me...

--
"Stay strong. Be brave. Wait for the signs."

Regards,

Frank Johansen
Aurora, Ontario

Tuuk

Over packing just fills that gap between the two sets of bearings, you can
over fill but you will blow the seal on the inside. That is not necessarily
a bad thing, this will give you visual security that there is fresh grease
in both sets. Besides it is the heat that is your enemy. When on long trips,
periodically feel the hubs for heat. Pump it in as required. I have a
6000lbs boat and trailer system that I have trailered near 30,000 miles on
the same set of bearings and dipped it into salt water dozens of times. I do
get a mess of grease on the inside wheel rim from over pumping which just
messes with the balance but other than that they are fine. Repacking them
annually isn't necessary but if you like to do that then that's ok as you
will get a visual inspection. Heat and dry are your enemy. Or rather one
creates the other. Even though your not mechanically inclined as you
suggest, you now know enough to do this job and actually when you do it, it
is more reassuring than having the kid at the marina do it. Dont tighten the
castle nut too tight before putting cotter pin back in. Mixing the grease is
somewhat important not to do. Dont use that brown grease. I use that green
colored stuff and actually I also periodically pump a few pumps of graphite
grease in also, works for me as I do have over 30,000 miles on the same set
of bearings and never had a problem, except I over pump sometimes but I feel
better driving on those long jogs. If your driving down some highway and it
is hot and sunny and the one side of wheels is getting hit by the sun, what
that it doesn't heat up enough to break down the grease to a point where it
will overheat. It shouldn't but could mean your castle nut wasn't tight
enough. Proper torque is important.

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Take it to your local NAPA or CARQUEST, you'll spend half the money. And
yes, take the silver grease cap with you. Yank it off with a large pair

of
channel lock pliers.

--
Steve
=======================
"No Spam" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
How do I install it? do I hammer out the silver cap from the wheel (see
photos link below)? that sounds scary to me.. i aint a mechanic. so...

also,
the guy told me bearing buddy comes in different size to fit my hub.. do

bring that silver thing to the marina to buy the right size? thanks...

http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...heel/wheel.jpg

N.S.

"No Spam" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I went to a local marina, and I asked about maintenance on the

trailer.
They
suggested to me that my trailer needs a product called "Bearing

buddy"
which can easily pump grease into the hub with a grease gun. I haven't
installed it yet coz wanna get some comments from you guys.

Any comments on this "Bearing Buddy" product? Is it worthy to

install?
is
it easy to do it myself or should I let the Marina guy to do it for

me?
Thanks for any advice..

N.S.