No Spam

Default Bearing Buddy Question

I went to a local marina, and I asked about maintenance on the trailer. They
suggested to me that my trailer needs a product called "Bearing buddy"
which can easily pump grease into the hub with a grease gun. I haven't
installed it yet coz wanna get some comments from you guys.

Any comments on this "Bearing Buddy" product? Is it worthy to install? is
it easy to do it myself or should I let the Marina guy to do it for me?
Thanks for any advice..

N.S.

Capt. Mooron

Must have... you can do it yourself.

CM

"No Spam" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
| I went to a local marina, and I asked about maintenance on the trailer.
They
| suggested to me that my trailer needs a product called "Bearing buddy"
| which can easily pump grease into the hub with a grease gun. I haven't
| installed it yet coz wanna get some comments from you guys.
|
| Any comments on this "Bearing Buddy" product? Is it worthy to install?
is
| it easy to do it myself or should I let the Marina guy to do it for me?
| Thanks for any advice..
|
| N.S.

Kevin & Debbie

Definite must have.
Towed that boat thousands of miles and launched/hauled dozens of times
each year and never had a problem. I used synthetic grease and repacked
them every fall prior to storage. I think I paid $25 for a pair.
To install them, remove the dust caps and use a 2 X 4 and hammer to
pound them in, just make sure you pound them in evenly. Then use a
grease gun to fill the hubs with grease. I have heard it said that the
grease will not make it into every void but the air/grease pressure in
the hub will help prevent water from being sucked in by the hot bearings
as they are cooling down. I always put the grease in just prior to
launching the boat (while in the launch prep area) so that they were
under maximum pressure.All in all, cheap insurance.
Kevin

No Spam wrote:

I went to a local marina, and I asked about maintenance on the trailer. They
suggested to me that my trailer needs a product called "Bearing buddy"
which can easily pump grease into the hub with a grease gun. I haven't
installed it yet coz wanna get some comments from you guys.

Any comments on this "Bearing Buddy" product? Is it worthy to install? is
it easy to do it myself or should I let the Marina guy to do it for me?
Thanks for any advice..

N.S.

Tuuk

No, they are easy to install, I use a wooden mallet (I have an old croquet
mallet) and hammer them onto the wheels after you take off the caps. Then be
careful how much grease you pump into them. Not too much, careful not to
blow the seals off the inside of the bearing assembly. Only about 2 or 3
pumps from a grease gun and only about every 1000 miles or depending on salt
water launching. Use good grease also not that cheap brown stuff.

"No Spam" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I went to a local marina, and I asked about maintenance on the trailer.

They
suggested to me that my trailer needs a product called "Bearing buddy"
which can easily pump grease into the hub with a grease gun. I haven't
installed it yet coz wanna get some comments from you guys.

Any comments on this "Bearing Buddy" product? Is it worthy to install?

is
it easy to do it myself or should I let the Marina guy to do it for me?
Thanks for any advice..

N.S.

GF

I agree they are a must have,BUT they do not replace a good spring
repack.It's easy takes about 20 min per wheel and then let the buddies take
care of the season."No Spam" wrote in
message le.rogers.com...
I went to a local marina, and I asked about maintenance on the trailer.

They
suggested to me that my trailer needs a product called "Bearing buddy"
which can easily pump grease into the hub with a grease gun. I haven't
installed it yet coz wanna get some comments from you guys.

Any comments on this "Bearing Buddy" product? Is it worthy to install?

is
it easy to do it myself or should I let the Marina guy to do it for me?
Thanks for any advice..

N.S.

Me

Well worth the $15 to 20. Any dumb bunnie can install them. You need a
hammer and a block of wood. Don't over grease them. There are all kinds
of clones of bearing buddies available
99% of trailers use the 1.980 size.

No Spam wrote:
I went to a local marina, and I asked about maintenance on the trailer. They
suggested to me that my trailer needs a product called "Bearing buddy"
which can easily pump grease into the hub with a grease gun. I haven't
installed it yet coz wanna get some comments from you guys.

Any comments on this "Bearing Buddy" product? Is it worthy to install? is
it easy to do it myself or should I let the Marina guy to do it for me?
Thanks for any advice..

N.S.

Doug Kanter

Excellent accessory. They don't pump the grease, though. You do. One thing:
I think it's nuts to not have your hubs cleaned out thoroughly and regreased
before installing the Bearing Buddies. Everything I've read says not to mix
different types of grease. If you have the marina do the installation, you
can ask them to use the kind of grease you're buying from them.

If you take lots of long trips, you need to find a grease application tool
that is easy to transport, and doesn't make a mess of the car's trunk or
your hands. Otherwise, you won't want to use it. Besides, you only notice
that you need grease when there's noplace around to wash the stuff off your
hands.

I found a good one on the same pegboard as tubes of OMC (brand) grease, but
I can't seem to find it anywhere on the web. Mine came from a marina.

Imagine a metal tube with a plunger on one end. The other end is placed on
the grease fitting of the Bearing Buddy. In the center of the tube is a
threaded thing made for the OMC grease to fasten to. (The grease is in a
thick plastic toothpaste-tube type of container). So, when attached, the
grease container makes the whole contraption into a t-shaped affair. You
squeeze the grease from the bottom of the soft container upward so it feeds
into the metal tube and then squeeze the plunger. When you're done, you
release the pressure from the grease container. That, and the release of the
plunger create just enough vacuum to pull any excess grease back into the
applicator. Nice & neat.

Now that I think of it, it must be made by OMC, since it fits their grease
container perfectly. The applicator's about 7" long and no thicker than a
screwdriver. That and the grease container fit into a medium-size Rubbermaid
rectangular food storage thing. Nice & neat.

"No Spam" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I went to a local marina, and I asked about maintenance on the trailer.

They
suggested to me that my trailer needs a product called "Bearing buddy"
which can easily pump grease into the hub with a grease gun. I haven't
installed it yet coz wanna get some comments from you guys.

Any comments on this "Bearing Buddy" product? Is it worthy to install?

is
it easy to do it myself or should I let the Marina guy to do it for me?
Thanks for any advice..

N.S.

Doug Kanter

"GF" wrote in message
. ca...
I agree they are a must have,BUT they do not replace a good spring
repack.It's easy takes about 20 min per wheel and then let the buddies

take
care of the season.

Do you have your hubs & bearings totally degreased when you repack, or just
wipe out what you can see?

CCred68046

They cant hurt but I seriously doubt they do any good. There are 2 bearings in
there. The "buddy" does a good job on the front one but the back one needs it
too. Unless you blow the seal (not good) and force the grease all the way
through, your not getting it to the rear bearing. Having them re-packed each
year is the best advice. If you truely want to eliminate 99% the problems and
maintenance associated with regular bearings, replace them with oil filled
hubs. You can get these at West Marine. No more problems then.