Default Niagara Falls -- Spectacular

We returned last night from our trip to Niagara Falls. What a great
place to visit!

We stayed on the Canada side, at the Jellystone Campground. I'd not
recomment it. Too close to a major highway, the QEW, with too much
noise. And, the 'free shuttle' to the falls doesn't begin operating
until Memorial day weekend.

We bought an 'Adventure Pass' for $39.95 each. This is definitely
worthwhile. It includes the major activities and provides for
discounts at some of the other activities. This includes the Maid of
the Mist, which is a 'must do' if you visit.

Mrs H wanted to ride a helicopter, so we did. It's a little pricey,
but what with global warming and all, it may not be around in the
future. So we did it while we could. Spectacular views! We didn't see
any helicopters other than the ones from the place we rode, on the
Canadian side. Don't know if there are still American helicopters
going or not, but we saw only the blue ones over the falls.

The Canadian side has most of the attractions, and is very beautiful.
The American side has a nice parkway, but Niagara Falls, NY, appears
to be a rundown suburb of Buffalo. (Sorry, Loogy, but that's just my
opinion.)

It costs money every time one crosses into Canada. Supposedly, this is
to pay for the bridges. I wish the USA would charge also. When I
mentioned this posibility to a US Customs agent, he said he'd love to
charge anyone with a US passport $1.00, and anyone without the
passport $500.00!

At one crossing we got in line and quickly noticed that our line was
very slow. The other lines were moving at least five times as fast as
ours (we would move one car length when the line next to us was moving
five cars). When we finally got to the window, the Canadian customs
started with the questions. We'd been through this a couple times
already, so we expected nothing new. Then the guy started on weapons.
We didn't have any and told him so. He then proceeded to lecture us on
the problems we would face if we lied to him and were searched. He
gave us another chance to 'come clean'. Then he asked if I owned any
weapons, and what were they. I told him - shotgun, rifle, couple
pistols. Again he offered a chance to come clean - telling us how much
trouble we would be in if they found a weapon. This guy was unreal!
But, we then understood why our line had taken so long. All the
Canadian customs were concerned with the importation of weapons. This
guy was paranoid about it..

Anyway, the trip was great. If you've never been, I'd highly recommend
this place as a 'must see'. Plan on at least two days to see
everything.
--
John H

For a great time, go here first... http://tinyurl.com/d3vxvm

On May 7, 10:11*am, John H wrote:
[...]

Yep, there's a lot of chemical and other factories in Niagara Falls,
NY, that was originally headquartered there to take advantage of cheap
power. But, there are a lot of good things to see and do there. I
don't care much for the Canadian side. Too touristy, and tacky. Did
you get a chance to do the Robert Moses power plant tour? If not, you
missed a good one! Did you get to do the Journey Behind the Falls
tour? That's spectacular!

On Thu, 07 May 2009 10:11:10 -0400, John H
wrote:

We bought an 'Adventure Pass' for $39.95 each. This is definitely
worthwhile. It includes the major activities and provides for
discounts at some of the other activities. This includes the Maid of
the Mist, which is a 'must do' if you visit.

You convinced me about the boat ride. I could pass, but it wouldn't
be fair to the wife. Aw, I admit it. I want that ride.
Do the rain coats stink? What are the other "major activities"?
I stopped there once on the way to Buffalo. Entered at Detroit and
drove in Canada from there.
Do they require a passport now? I don't have one.
Might affect my plans. (-:

--Vic

On Thu, 7 May 2009 07:26:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On May 7, 10:11*am, John H wrote:
[...]

We didn't do the power plant tour, but did do the Behind the falls
tour. You're right, it was great.
--
John H

For a great time, go here first... http://tinyurl.com/d3vxvm

wrote:

We bought an 'Adventure Pass' for $39.95 each. This is definitely
worthwhile. It includes the major activities and provides for
discounts at some of the other activities. This includes the Maid of
the Mist, which is a 'must do' if you visit.

You convinced me about the boat ride. I could pass, but it wouldn't
be fair to the wife. Aw, I admit it. I want that ride.
Do the rain coats stink? What are the other "major activities"?
I stopped there once on the way to Buffalo. Entered at Detroit and
drove in Canada from there.
Do they require a passport now? I don't have one.
Might affect my plans. (-:

--Vic

Here are the requirements for documents:
***********************************
Passport Requirement by Land or Sea

Effective January 31, 2008 U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers
will no longer accept oral declarations of U.S. or Canadian
citizenship from those traveling by land or sea.

U.S. and Canadian travelers will be required to present:

* A government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license and
* A birth certificate or other proof of citizenship;
* Or - for youth 18 and under - a birth certificate alone

Or one of the following from the list below:

* A valid Passport*
* NEXUS Card
* SENTRI Card
* FAST Card
* U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner's Card
* Military ID and Official Orders
* I-551 Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) for U.S. legal
residents

This is from:
http://www.consular.canada.usembassy...equirement.asp
***************************************
The rain coats on the boat ride do the job quite well. I used my
digital camera, without the case, and kept it under the coat. The coat
isn't needed until the boat is right up at the base of the falls. Even
then, it's possible to get to places in the boat which are dry. Once
we got back, we were both dry under the coat. It's definitely an
experience worth trying.

Here's what we bought. Well worth the money!

http://www.niagaraparks.com/nfgg/discountpass.php
--
John H

For a great time, go here first... http://tinyurl.com/d3vxvm

On Thu, 07 May 2009 14:23:49 -0400, John H
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, John. Real helpful.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

Hope you have a great time!
--
John H

For a great time, go here first... http://tinyurl.com/d3vxvm
Tim Tim is offline

On May 7, 9:11*am, John H wrote:
[...]

Excellent John. I'm glad you and the wife had a safe and enjoyable
trip.

On May 7, 10:11*am, John H wrote:
[...]

Having dealt with Guards for 25 years on BOTH sides...ALL the guards
on BOTH sides are dickheads. You get snarky, you get searched. They
hold the power in their turf. IMO...they're schooled in body language.

wrote in message
On May 7, 10:11 am, John H wrote:
[...]

If JohnnyPrepH showed half the bad attitude at the border as he shows daily
in here..... he's lucky that not all the Canadian guards are armed yet.