Default Spectacular Day on the Potomac

(If you've been to Chuck's Place recently, don't bother.)

We got ready in record time for our Memorial Day excursion, even got the
boat hooked up to the 4Runner without incident. A little mirror mounted on
the trailer was a big aid in aligning the hitch with the trailer.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../ReadytoGo.jpg

We launched at Gravely Point, just north of National Airport, and watched a
plane come in a few hundred feet overhead. Makes one wonder what a small
missile would do he

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...atNational.jpg

The weather was beautiful, although a little breezy. Whitecaps on the
Potomac meant waves of only 1-2 feet, mostly one footers. So the water was
perfect for boating. I was happy with the way the Key West took some larger
wakes. Lots of boats on the Potomac, but no one acting too crazy. Lots of
police and Coasties running around also. Of course, a picture of some DC
scenery is a must:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../DCScenery.jpg

And if you really want to see a smile on someone's face, put your wife in
command!

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../InCommand.jpg

Once out of the water, home, and with the boat washed, we decided to go to
a popular launch ramp, Pohick Bay, just to watch. What a blast. There
really are some stupid folks running around with boats behind their
pickups, vans, or sedans!
--
John *H*

John H. wrote:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...atNational.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../DCScenery.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../InCommand.jpg

Very nice.

FB

John H. wrote:
[...]

Very nice pics, but who was the good looking young lady you are trying
to pass off as your wife. I have seen photos of you, and I know that
woman is out of your league.

She really does look young, but has a great smile.

On Tue, 27 May 2008 23:38:33 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 27 May 2008 17:42:02 -0400, John H.
wrote:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../InCommand.jpg

What is that ship tied up behind your boat? That the War college back
there? It's been a while since I was in DC

Great eyes! Yes, that's the frigate (or destroyer?) which has been docked
at the National War College for years and years. I don't know if it ever
moves. I've never seen it moving or away from the dock. Then again, it may
be a training ship of some sort. Unlike active ships, there was no one
shooing us away when we went by, within 50 yards.

The Anacostia is much cleaner now than when you were there last. I hadn't
been there in about twenty years either, and I was surprised at how much
cleaner the whole area looked.
--
John *H*
HK HK is offline

On Tue, 27 May 2008 23:38:33 -0400, wrote:

What is that ship tied up behind your boat? That the War college back
there? It's been a while since I was in DC

It's the destroyer Barry, named after a revolutionary war hero.

http://www.ushistory.org/people/commodorebarry.htm

The ship was decommissioned at least 25 years ago.

HK HK is offline

wrote:
What is that ship tied up behind your boat? That the War college back
there? It's been a while since I was in DC

It's the destroyer Barry, named after a revolutionary war hero.

http://www.ushistory.org/people/commodorebarry.htm

The ship was decommissioned at least 25 years ago.

When I was there our fleet presence was the USS Drum tied up at the
Gun Factory AKA Washington Navy Yard

The Drum moved south. I've always been a fan of Gato-class subs. Most of
them were built in Groton, Connecticut, and Groton and the sub base
nearby were frequent trips sites for our Scout and Sea Scout troops.

We had a WWII destroyer escort, the USS Coates, "guarding" New Haven
harbor most of the years I lived there. I think in her later years, she
served as a training vessel for reservists in the area, because when I
saw her out on Long Island Sound, it seemed like there always was some
sort of drill taking place. She was about 300 feet and had a couple of
five or six inch guns and gear to toss depth charges.

The Coates didn't have as good an end as the Drum. She was sunk as a
target ship in the 1970s.