HK HK is offline

Default The First 100 Days...

So far, President Obama

â–º Ordered the closing of the Bush-Cheney torture facility at Guantanamo
Bay, Cuba.

â–º Ordered the closing of the Bush-Cheney overseas Gulags (so-called
"black sites").

â–º Banned the use of torture.

â–º Suspended Military tribunals of foreign detainees.

â–º Orders the withdraw of combat forces from Iraq by August 2010, with
the residual force, between 35,000 to 50,000 leaving by December 2011.

â–º Passes $787 BILLION Jobs-Stimulus bill.

â–º Signed $32.8 billion bill for the State Children's Health Insurance
Program, known as SCHIP, extending health care to 4 million uninsured
children. A bill vetoed various times by Bush.

â–º Told AFL-CIO union leaders in a videotaped address that the Employee
Free Choice Act WILL PASS, pledging his administration’s FULL support.

â–º Overturned Bush administration's limits on embryonic stem cell research.

â–º Budgets $634 billion over 10 years as a down payment on health care
insurance.

â–º Cancels government contract with Blackwater Mercenaries.

► Voids George W. Bush’s so-called "signing statements".

â–º Addressing Turkey's Grand National Assembly, President Obama states
the United States "is not and never will be at war with Islam."
Signaling a thaw, the story is carried on the front page of Tehran’s
daily newspapers.

â–º Begins changing of U.S. policy towards Cuba.

â–º Announced the US will engage in direct group talks with Iran aimed at
ending Tehran's nuclear program, marking another shift from former
Bush's policy.

â–º Signed Lilly Ledbetter Act, making it easier for women and others to
sue for pay discrimination, even if the discrimination has prevailed for
years, even decades.

â–º Cancelled Bush decision to allow oil-shale development on federal land
in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming.

â–º Cancelled Bush decision allowing oil and gas drilling in parcels near
national parks in Utah.

â–º Started a $75 billion plan to help 9 million struggling homeowners
avoid foreclosure, offering refinanced mortgages or modified loans with
lower monthly payments.

â–º Announces plans to drastically cut the world's nuclear arsenal.

â–º Began negotiations to reduce nuclear arms with Russia.

â–º Persuades G-20 to open $1.4 trillion fund to restore international credit.

â–º EPA moves, for the first time, to regulate carbon dioxide and other
greenhouse gases that scientists blame for the warming of the planet.

(Partial list swiped from KOS)

"HK" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Is this good or bad?

Many will see this list as a glowing list of positive accomplishments.
Others will view it with grave concern.
Some will pick and choose.
Right now the country, as a whole, is equally divided in terms of whether we
are going in the right direction or not.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
[...]

We supported and voted for Obama, and think the list is pretty good so
far, with a lot left to do. One would expect those whose candidates lost
to be less happy with some of what is on the list.

Equally divided as to right direction is a great improvement over the
last year of the Bush Administration, and the number of those who
believe we are moving in the right direction is rising.

"HK" wrote in message
m...
Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think too many people are displeased or disapprove of Obama. He
enjoys a very high approval rating.
However, it's *him* that is approved of. He has a great personality, sense
of humor and acts "presidential".
The concerns aren't with him as a person. The concerns are the policies and
economic programs his administration is pursuing with the support of a
Democratically controlled Congress. That's what concerns me anyway. We
simply can't afford it.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
m...
Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
[...]

I can understand your concerns. They concern me, too. The problem is, to
me a least, that the last president too long ignored the real needs of
this country while pumping billions and trillions into wasteful
expenditures that fueled warmongering.

The GOP seems unable to find a reasonable and responsible direction and
become the loyal opposition with plans and programs of its own to help
solve the horrific problems we have. Saying NO to just about everything,
chasing out elected Republican officials, and name-calling the two
Republican Senators from Maine makes me wonder if the GOP cares about
anything real.

"HK" wrote in message
m...

I can understand your concerns. They concern me, too. The problem is, to
me a least, that the last president too long ignored the real needs of
this country while pumping billions and trillions into wasteful
expenditures that fueled warmongering.

The GOP seems unable to find a reasonable and responsible direction and
become the loyal opposition with plans and programs of its own to help
solve the horrific problems we have. Saying NO to just about everything,
chasing out elected Republican officials, and name-calling the two
Republican Senators from Maine makes me wonder if the GOP cares about
anything real.

I am hopeful that an intelligent and thoughtful conservative will emerge who
can effectively debate and influence
some of the run-a-way spending programs we are on now. We need some balance
and not name calling.
A check and balance safety net that prevents one ideology from getting too
carried away has always been the strength of the USA.

Running a hundred miles an hour in the opposite direction doesn't
necessarily fix any problems.

Eisboch

jps jps is offline

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 17:54:24 -0400, HK wrote:

I can understand your concerns. They concern me, too. The problem is, to
me a least, that the last president too long ignored the real needs of
this country while pumping billions and trillions into wasteful
expenditures that fueled warmongering.

The GOP seems unable to find a reasonable and responsible direction and
become the loyal opposition with plans and programs of its own to help
solve the horrific problems we have. Saying NO to just about everything,
chasing out elected Republican officials, and name-calling the two
Republican Senators from Maine makes me wonder if the GOP cares about
anything real.

From your lips to the Governor of Utah. Who'd have thought...

In an interview with ABC News, Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman (R) blasted
Republicans in Congress for not engaging with President Obama.

Said Huntsman: "You can't just say no. You can't just obstruct or
obfuscate. Instead of just kind of grousing and complaining, it would
do us all a whole lot of good if we actually started engaging directly
in finding compromises and common ground and shared solutions... When
you are devoid of the ideas, or the content that would allow you to
articulate or paint a better future, you have no choice other than to
fall back on 'no, we are not going support it, it cannot be done."

It seems Huntsman is intent on positioning himself as a possible
moderate Republican candidate for president in 2012.
jps jps is offline

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 18:12:25 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
om...

[...]

When Obama came through Seattle on his book tour, he gave a brief talk
at Benaroya Hall, home of our symphony.

Your point about our form of government being stable was among his
topics. He said that no matter how bad it gets (referring to Bush)
it'll never go so bad as to fail. And in the same regard, no matter
how hard we try to push in the other direction, there'll always be
that counter balance that won't allow too radical a shift.

His approach to bipartisanship was what attracted me the most. He was
commited to trying to find issues that all Americans could agree
needed attention so that we could work together and find better ways
to discuss our differences.

I guess you know how far that's gotten...

Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
m...
Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
[...]

I believe that one British newspaper described obama recent political
tour of Europe as the most successful since Napoleon's retreat from
Moscow. You have not heard about his successes among the Europeans
governments.

My biggest problem with the man is that you cannot trust what he says.
Every time he opens his mouth he contradicts what he has told you
previously. For example he said he would give everybody a tax cut, some
people have not started to receive it yet and he is taking out of the
budget.

Up until the third debate he was making a big thing about talking to
anyone any where with out conditions. He contradicted that during the
debate

obama say that President Bush's deficit 450b was bad and turn around and
pass a budget with a deficit that is three that or about 1.3t. They
removed the story but the government debit will increase for 11t to 17t
under obama.

The man will go down in history as the first black president. However
his extremely negative attitude will never get him a place in history,
and he will be rated down there with I-did-not-have-sex-with-that-lady
Clinton and Carter whose most newsworthy event was when he was attacked
by the rabbit.
jps jps is offline

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 18:54:05 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

I believe that one British newspaper described obama recent political
tour of Europe as the most successful since Napoleon's retreat from
Moscow. You have not heard about his successes among the Europeans
governments.

Yes, Fox News equivalents exist elsewhere.

Those Were the Days...... Chuck Gould General 4 October 12th 07 06:28 PM
1,000 days at sea .. NE Sailboat Cruising 14 May 1st 07 11:33 PM
11 more days.... Clams Canino General 14 November 2nd 06 06:07 PM
May be away for a few days. Jonathan Ganz ASA 4 July 14th 03 04:01 AM
for those 95+ deg days Jonathan Ganz ASA 77 June 29th 03 04:58 AM