Default Some of my favorite restaurants in Jacksonville, FL...

Great seafood, interesting atmosphere...in Mayport

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=5517

Best restaurant in NE Florida, on the ICW

http://www.marker32.com/

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:35:51 -0500, Boater
wrote:

Great seafood, interesting atmosphere...in Mayport

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=5517

Best restaurant in NE Florida, on the ICW

http://www.marker32.com/

I was talking to my wife about possibly switching coasts in Florida.
My big argument is east coast surf fishing, which we really enjoy.
That place could be another.

--Vic

wrote:

Great seafood, interesting atmosphere...in Mayport

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=5517

Best restaurant in NE Florida, on the ICW

http://www.marker32.com/

I was talking to my wife about possibly switching coasts in Florida.
My big argument is east coast surf fishing, which we really enjoy.
That place could be another.

--Vic

For reasons I cannot explain, even after living there for six years, the
Jax area has good restaurants all out of proportion to its population or
economic influence. We have at least a dozen favorites down there -
American, Greek, Japanese, Seafood, Chinese, Cuban...lots of them. You
never have to step foot into a chain restaurant.

Surf fishing is pretty easy off the beaches. There are troughs 20 to 30
feet off the beaches that attract pogies, whiting, and other small
fishes, and all the much larger predators that feed on them.

I had two favorite surf fishing spots, one just south of the jetties
where the St. Johns River empties into the Atlantic, and one just north
of St. Augustine Inlet. At the beginning of the jetty right across from
that inlet you could find good flounder fishing.

The climate in Jax was pretty decent for me, too. Not too hot and muggy
in the summer, mild winters, and real long and lovely springs and falls.

Downside is (or maybe was) the crazed fundie churches. They do some
really bizarre stuff down there, and they are hard to ignore. Oh...and
the "football uber alles" mentality.

wrote:

Great seafood, interesting atmosphere...in Mayport

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=5517

Best restaurant in NE Florida, on the ICW

http://www.marker32.com/

I was talking to my wife about possibly switching coasts in Florida.
My big argument is east coast surf fishing, which we really enjoy.
That place could be another.

--Vic

Jax is featureless. Miles and miles of mobile home parks,
subdivisions, military bases and the bars that accompany them.
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

Great seafood, interesting atmosphere...in Mayport
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=5517
Best restaurant in NE Florida, on the ICW
http://www.marker32.com/

I was talking to my wife about possibly switching coasts in Florida.
My big argument is east coast surf fishing, which we really enjoy.
That place could be another.

--Vic

Jax is featureless. Miles and miles of mobile home parks,
subdivisions, military bases and the bars that accompany them.

They do have s nice waterfront park where you can go sit and eat your
bagged lunch, if you must be in downtown Jacksonville. Tourists might
visit the brewery and then move on down to St. Augustine to do some
dining, sight seeing, and shopping.

wrote:

Great seafood, interesting atmosphere...in Mayport
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=5517
Best restaurant in NE Florida, on the ICW
http://www.marker32.com/
I was talking to my wife about possibly switching coasts in Florida.
My big argument is east coast surf fishing, which we really enjoy.
That place could be another.

--Vic

Jax is featureless. Miles and miles of mobile home parks,
subdivisions, military bases and the bars that accompany them.

They do have s nice waterfront park where you can go sit and eat your
bagged lunch, if you must be in downtown Jacksonville. Tourists might
visit the brewery and then move on down to St. Augustine to do some
dining, sight seeing, and shopping.

Jacksonville has some of the prettiest, uncrowded ocean beaches in
Florida, from practically the Georgia border down past St. Augustine.

When we lived in the area, I rarely went downtown, except to eat at a
very good Japanese restaurant, since closed, and a Cuban restaurant.

wrote:

[...]

Uncrowded beaches???????? You are full of **** as usual!!

Here's a pic of Jacksonville Beach:
http://tinyurl.com/5pcxu3

That's besides the whole beachfront for miles and miles is nothing but
condos.

Same way with Amelia Island, Fernandina is a disaster, Atlantic Beach
Neptune, Ponte Verde, etc. all about the same. Jacksonville is the
fourth largest metro area in Florida, but hey, according to Harry,
none of them must go to the beaches!
Oh, and according to Harry, the weather is better in Jax than other
Florida cities to the south. BUT, alas, the average temp in July and
Aug is one degree different than Tampa!

Jim Jim is offline

Boater wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Most of Florida has nice beaches. North beach in Pinnelas county was
rated #1 in the world a few years ago by some beach expert.

wrote:

Great seafood, interesting atmosphere...in Mayport

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=5517

Best restaurant in NE Florida, on the ICW

http://www.marker32.com/

I was talking to my wife about possibly switching coasts in Florida.
My big argument is east coast surf fishing, which we really enjoy.
That place could be another.

--Vic

Jax is featureless. Miles and miles of mobile home parks,
subdivisions, military bases and the bars that accompany them.

Never been there, but that's how I've always imagined it from what
I've read. Once heard that by area it's the largest city in the U.S.
Always used to seem to me from my Florida visits that the Gulf coast
was more "laid back" than the east coast, but the east coast had
better fishing - and probably better seafood restaurants.
But generalizations are dangerous, especially with as little
experience as I have.
All my east coast experience is around Port St. Lucie/Hutchinson
Island, which I liked well enough.
Had fried gator near Okeechobee. Pretty good.
Better than chicken. But maybe I was just real hungry.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

Gator's fine when cooked right! Used to be a little hole in the wall
place near where I lived that had good gator. I lived in the sticks!