Captain Chaos

Default dockside restaurants

We're wanting to take our runabout to a dock side restaurant tomorrow.
I've read that there are dock hands at these type places. What is the
standard tip for these folks?
Harry Krause

Captain Chaos wrote:
We're wanting to take our runabout to a dock side restaurant tomorrow.
I've read that there are dock hands at these type places. What is the
standard tip for these folks?

I usually give each hand $5, but I don't tie up at really fancy places.
I usually give the guy at the gas dock $5, too. Most of them are working
for not much over minimum wage.

Captain Chaos wrote:
We're wanting to take our runabout to a dock side restaurant tomorrow.
I've read that there are dock hands at these type places. What is the
standard tip for these folks?

Take the Dolphins and 7.

Seriously, it will depend on the quality of service provided. Nobody
deserves a tip just for standing around with a surly attitude and
reluctantly catching a line. Also will depend a bit on the type of
restaurant you're patronizing. If it's a burger or fish and chips joint
and you'll probably spend less than $30 for two dinners, anything over
a couple of bucks to the dock hand would be out of proportion. If
you're dropping a couple of hundred bucks for a candle-lit 4 or 5
course meal, anyting less than 10 bucks would be almost an insult.

Suggestion: What would you tip a parking valet if you were driving,
rather than boating, to the same restaurant? Something in that range
may be appropriate for the dockhand. If there are several dockhands,
they can be expected to divide a single, but adequate, tip.