Senior Member

Default Trailer liability?

Took the Chevy Blazer and the flatbed trailer 4X8 to the post office
today. No place to park so I stuck it in a spot and the trailer was
hanging out in the lane and ran inside the post office. A guy in a new
truck backs out af an adjacent spot and hits my trailer, now he want
to sue me for damage to his truck. Am I liable or is he responsible?
Any Ideas?

Scotty

wrote in message
Took the Chevy Blazer and the flatbed trailer 4X8 to the post office
today. No place to park so I stuck it in a spot and the trailer was
hanging out in the lane and ran inside the post office. A guy in a new
truck backs out af an adjacent spot and hits my trailer, now he want
to sue me for damage to his truck. Am I liable or is he responsible?
Any Ideas?

Scotty

You may have been illegally parked, but he was the only vehicle in motion.

Beats me.

Eisboch

wrote in message
Took the Chevy Blazer and the flatbed trailer 4X8 to the post office
today. No place to park so I stuck it in a spot and the trailer was
hanging out in the lane and ran inside the post office. A guy in a new
truck backs out af an adjacent spot and hits my trailer, now he want
to sue me for damage to his truck. Am I liable or is he responsible?
Any Ideas?

Scotty

Yeah. Move to Alaska.
Senior Member

On Nov 15, 2:15*pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
"Gene" wrote in message

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 10:15:48 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Took the Chevy Blazer and the flatbed trailer 4X8 to the post office
today. No place to park so I stuck it in a spot and the trailer was
hanging out in the lane and ran inside the post office. A guy in a new
truck backs out af an adjacent spot and hits my trailer, now he want
to sue me for damage to his truck. Am I liable or is he responsible?
Any Ideas?

Scotty

If it went to court, you might be ruled "partially" liable. He failed
to see that the movement could be made in safety and probably needs to
learn how to use those new mirrors.

If it goes to small claims, without pictures and witnesses, I doubt
anything would be decided.

He's a putz...... since he was the only vehicle in motion, I'd tell
him to sue me.....
__

Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1160

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net...at/my_boat.htm

Probably his fault. *Friend backing out of a parking space and guy hits him.
It is the fault of the guy backing out of the space according to the police
and the insurance company.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know if it matters, but this was on private property, in a
parking lot so no tickets were issued... This guy says he is going to
call his ins agent, should I call mine and make a claim for the
scratch on my trailer just to cover my ass?

wrote in message
Took the Chevy Blazer and the flatbed trailer 4X8 to the post office
today. No place to park so I stuck it in a spot and the trailer was
hanging out in the lane and ran inside the post office. A guy in a new
truck backs out af an adjacent spot and hits my trailer, now he want
to sue me for damage to his truck. Am I liable or is he responsible?
Any Ideas?

Scotty

In a parking lot??
Believe I heard around here it's 50/50 split.

"Don White" wrote in message

wrote in message
Took the Chevy Blazer and the flatbed trailer 4X8 to the post office
today. No place to park so I stuck it in a spot and the trailer was
hanging out in the lane and ran inside the post office. A guy in a new
truck backs out af an adjacent spot and hits my trailer, now he want
to sue me for damage to his truck. Am I liable or is he responsible?
Any Ideas?

Scotty

In a parking lot??
Believe I heard around here it's 50/50 split.

Where I come from, you hit a stationary object while you are driving, your
fault.

wrote in message

I don't know if it matters, but this was on private property, in a
parking lot so no tickets were issued... This guy says he is going to
call his ins agent, should I call mine and make a claim for the
scratch on my trailer just to cover my ass?

Here's my free advice, for what's it's worth:

1. Private property or not, a accident report should be filed with the
police, especially if he is
making noises about suing, or holding you responsible. You can still
do that.
2. I'll bet if you check your insurance policy, you are *required* to report
to them any accident in
which a claim may be made.

3. Do both. Write down your recollection of what happened and make copies.
If insurance adjusters
start calling or asking for a statement, hand a copy of the same,
written statement to them and
any other authorized authority that asked for a statement.

4. States vary with their insurance regulations. Check yours.

Eisboch

"Gene" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:12:30 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message

I don't know if it matters, but this was on private property, in a
parking lot so no tickets were issued... This guy says he is going to
call his ins agent, should I call mine and make a claim for the
scratch on my trailer just to cover my ass?

Here's my free advice, for what's it's worth:

1. Private property or not, a accident report should be filed with the
police, especially if he is
making noises about suing, or holding you responsible. You can still
do that.

Yep.

2. I'll bet if you check your insurance policy, you are *required* to
report
to them any accident in
which a claim may be made.

I'd make this PRIORITY ONE.

3. Do both. Write down your recollection of what happened and make
copies.
If insurance adjusters
start calling or asking for a statement, hand a copy of the same,
written statement to them and
any other authorized authority that asked for a statement.

Indeed. Pictures, paragraphs, etc. .... a preponderance of evidence is
what is likely to carry the day....

4. States vary with their insurance regulations. Check yours.

Yep.

Number 3 is very important. Don't rely on your memory to verbally repeat
the details of the event because you may be asked to repeat it several
times.

Insurance dudes and lawyers love to find the slightest inconsistency in your
statements to deny payment or declare fault.

Write it down accurately once, make copies and hand out the same statement
to anyone that requires one.
If asked to elaborate, politely respond by referring them to your written
statement. Don't offer anything else.

Eisboch