Curtis CCR

Default NPRM - Liability Insurance

The U.S. Coast Guard has issused a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
(NPRM) to change 33CFR Part 174.31 It will redisignate parapraph (b)
and paragraph (c), and add a new paragraph (b) to read as follows:

174.31 Terms imposed by states for numbering vessels
****
(b) Proof of liability insurance for a vessel except a
recreational-type public vessel of the United States; or

****

This proposed rule would allow states to impose proof of liability
insurance as a condition to for obataining state issued vessel number
certificates. Current federal laws/rule limit these conditions to
proof of ownership (title) and payment of state and local taxes. This
proposed rule would not REQUIRE states to make proof of liability
insurance a condition, it just allows them to.

Public comment on this NPRM can be made to the Coast Guard until April
13, 2004.
Curtis CCR

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in message . ..
On 11 Feb 2004 13:58:08 -0800, (Curtis CCR)
wrote:

[...]

Would be interesting in CT. No titles on boats.

But CT number numbers boats, correct? These are all conditions that
states are ALLOWED to impose, they are not required to impose any of
them. I assume that if you want to number a boat in CT, you have to
prove that you own, don't you? The regs say "proof of ownership", I
used the term "title" in a general sense.

We title boats in CA, but not cars.... or is it the other way around?
People will refer to the "pink slip" (though CA's aren't pink anymore)
as a "title" on both.
Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

Good question. I can't answer that. I really have nothing more than
the registration on my boats - I don't have a loan or anything so I
don't know how that's done.

I must go find out.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928)
Calif Bill

wrote:

[...]

In California we title both boats and cars and trailers all the same. Taxed
a little different, but all titled the same. The "Pink Slip" is the
ownership certificate from the state. You only get it when you owe nothing
to the loan company. Until then the loan agency holds title and the "pink
slip". When you sell the boat and you hold full title, you just sign the
"pink slip" on the seller line. If you are carrying the paper on the boat,
then you get to sign the front as release of interest in the boat and sign
the back as the legal owner, and the purchaser signs the "New Registered
Owner" section. And my "pink Slip" on my 14' boat I bought in 1986 was
still pink.
Bill

Bill

Bill