Falky foo

Default boat liability insurance needed Calif?

Hi, I'm planning on buying a very inexpensive ~26 foot sail boat. I know
most marinas require some sort of insurance, right? How about transient
anchorages, moorings, etc run by the county/state? The boat is so
inexpensive that I wouldn't really care if it were a complete loss, so the
only insurance I'd get would be that which is required. Is that liability
insurance? Is there some sort of standard liability insurance or something
else super cheap? Thanks!

Gould 0738

Hi, I'm planning on buying a very inexpensive ~26 foot sail boat. I know
most marinas require some sort of insurance, right? How about transient
anchorages, moorings, etc run by the county/state? The boat is so
inexpensive that I wouldn't really care if it were a complete loss, so the
only insurance I'd get would be that which is required. Is that liability
insurance? Is there some sort of standard liability insurance or something
else super cheap? Thanks!

If the boat is "super cheap" for certain reasons, you may not be able to get
hull insurance on it in any event.

It is certainly responsible, even where not legally required, to carry
liability coverage.
It might be tricky to find an underwriter who will issue a liability policy on
a boat that might be otherwise uninsurable.

One good option is to see about "umbrella" coverage through your regular
general insurance carrier. You can buy a few million dollars worth of umbrella
coverage for relatively little, (probably more than enough to cover your butt
if you were moored next to a megayacht and a galley fire broke out and spread).
The umbrella coverage also provides liability for most of the other activities
you pursue, or if somebody slips on a wet sidewalk in front of your doorstep,
etc.

If you go the umbrella policy route, do make sure your agent knows that you
have a sailboat and make sure that boating isn't a risk that's excluded
somewhere in the fine print

JAXAshby

Hi, I'm planning on buying a very inexpensive ~26 foot sail boat. I know
most marinas require some sort of insurance, right? How about transient
anchorages, moorings, etc run by the county/state? The boat is so
inexpensive that I wouldn't really care if it were a complete loss, so the
only insurance I'd get would be that which is required. Is that liability
insurance? Is there some sort of standard liability insurance or something
else super cheap? Thanks!

boats under 26 feet (actual) and 15 (?) hp usually are covered without
additional fee under your homeowners/renters policy. if you home/rent and/or
larger boat, many standard insurance companies (Allstate, for instance) will
sell a liability only policy on boats. Most marine insurance agents don't want
to even hear of libability only policies. Too little commission to be worth
the effort. They tell such doesn't exist.
Eisboch

JAXAshby wrote:
[...]

I would add however, that you should not assume your homeowners
insurance automatically covers your boat. Years ago I was in a similar
situation and found my homeowners policy *would* cover liability, but it
required a rider on the policy and an additional small premium.

Eisboch
P.Fritz

"Eisboch" wrote in message
JAXAshby wrote:
[...]

I would also highly recommend tow inusrance :-)

Karl Denninger

In article ,
P.Fritz wrote:

Hi, I'm planning on buying a very inexpensive ~26 foot sail boat. I

know
most marinas require some sort of insurance, right? How about

transient
anchorages, moorings, etc run by the county/state? The boat is so
inexpensive that I wouldn't really care if it were a complete loss, so

the
only insurance I'd get would be that which is required. Is that

liability
insurance? Is there some sort of standard liability insurance or

something
else super cheap? Thanks!

I would also highly recommend tow inusrance :-)

On a SAILboat?

Why? What's wrong with the sail(s)? If the motor fails, use the wind!

Karl Denninger ) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://www.spamcuda.net SPAM FREE mailboxes - FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com Musings Of A Sentient Mind
Stanley Barthfarkle

I would add however, that you should not assume your homeowners insurance
automatically covers your boat. Years ago I was in a similar situation
and found my homeowners policy *would* cover liability, but it required a
rider on the policy and an additional small premium.

I second this advice, as our homeowner's insurance policy covers our small
(125 hp, 19 ft) powerboat with a liability rider which costs $100 per year.

Karl Denninger

In article ,
Gould 0738 wrote:

[...]

Nearly all umbrella policies require anywhere from $300-500k of underlying
liability insurance on any of a set of "specific" risks - and watercraft are
almost always one of those specific risks.

An umbrella is an excellent investment as they are quite cheap. However,
the underlying insurance requirement is an issue you pretty much can't get
around.

Umbrellas are meant as "excess liability" insurance, not replacements.

Karl Denninger ) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://www.spamcuda.net SPAM FREE mailboxes - FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com Musings Of A Sentient Mind
Falky foo

Thanks for the responses... just so's you know, I'm basically "judgment
proof" since I have zero assets except for a cheap car, a few possibilities
of having any assets any time soon. That's why the boat I'm buying is so
inexpensive .. I'm also probably not going to be parking her in marinas
but mostly keeping her at anchorage. Thanks again.

"Karl Denninger" wrote in message

In article ,
Gould 0738 wrote:

[...]

Stanley Barthfarkle

Thanks for the responses... just so's you know, I'm basically "judgment
proof" since I have zero assets except for a cheap car, a few
possibilities

SNIP

Judgement proof? I seriously doubt that ANYONE is "judgement proof"... You
may be right that you have very little that anyone could take, but a
judgement against you would ensure that anything you earn or own in the
future would be subject to claim.

Get the insurance.

houseboats sel1 General 10 September 24th 04 03:19 PM
Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
NEW Boat Profit Margins Konnie General 19 December 19th 03 04:57 AM