posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Firmware update on Garmin 292

Bjarke M. Christensen wrote:
Yes, did that as well.

Garmin ?? Do they reply ? I don't think so ...

Bjarke

I usually call them on the toll free number here in the U.S. They have
toll free numbers for Europe too:

http://www.garmin.com/support/

or you can do it by email:

http://www.garmin.com/contactUs/techSupport.jsp

If the European offices handle the calls and emails as well as they do
the calls, I would expect you to get an answer. I've no experience with
the European offices though.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Bjarke M. Christensen wrote:
Anyone manage to do that ?

Only image on www.garmin.com is for "usb"; but mine is connected over
serial. And that won't work.

I do have a USB attached card programmer, but it will not accept that
either. The programmer attachment should be OK. It's working OK from within
mapsource.

Please, someone help....

Bjarke

Bjarke,

I got another email off the group noting some info about the accessories
list for the GPSMAP 292 (at
http://shop.garmin.com/accessories_f...u=010-00506-00) and
raising the question that there may be some differences in the
programmer models that may be the cause of your problem.

The accessory list lists 010-10776-00 USB 2.0 RoHS data card programmer
and three newer RoHS data cards. It also lists one old non-RoHS 128 MB
data card but with this note; "Recording time lengthy, record using USB
Data Card Programmer P/N 010-10363-00".

I noticed at Tiger GPS (http://www.tigergps.com/gausbdacapr.html) that
they have a note that "NOTE: Part # 010-10776-00 replaces part #
010-10363-00 since being RoHS certified."

This indicates that there are at least two models of USB Data Card
Programmers. And I am assuming that it relates to USB 1.1, USB 2.0, and
the non-RoHS and RoHS thing. I can't tell with certainty but it appears
that 010-10776-00 is USB 2.0 and RoHS, and 010-10363-00 is USB 1.1 and
non-RoHS.

I have a Garmin USB Data Card Programmer that is marked Garmin Corp.
320-00162-01. How does that compare to the numbers on your programmer?
And when you bought that, was a Garmin part number specified for it?

I bought mine on eBay about a year ago to use with a GPSMAP 188
GPS/Sounder. That part number does not surface anywhere at Garmin now
and I not sure how it would relate to the part numbers above. I sort of
think the one I have is an older model that could date back as far as
to the time of the StreetPilot III, around 2001 or so. It has the newer
square shape like the model 10776 and 10363, not the original round
model. Mine is like the one on the right on the cover illustration on
the manual he

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/45_USB...Programmer.pdf

I suspect the one I have is pre USB 2.0 and not RoHS compliant but do
not know for sure. But it worked fine with the data cards for my GPSMAP
188.

As I understand it, RoHS has to do only with standards for reducing
hazardous material contained in electronics, it has nothing to do with
the way the work as far as I know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoHS

Anyway, getting back to your problem, I downloaded the GPSMAP 292 update
again from:

http://www.garmin.com/support/downlo...ls.jsp?id=1399

I double clicked the update and it extracted the files to the c:\garmin
folder. With my USB Data Card Programmer plugged in and a 64mb data card
in it, I double clicked the program_card.exe file and it erased the
card, uploaded the update, verified it, and terminated normally.

The rest of the process requires putting the card in a GPSMAP 292 but I
don't have one. I won't put it in my 188 because it might damage the
unit if it tried to update with the 292 software. But it looks like I
am able to get further with that update than you did.

Would you like to send me a 16mb or larger data card? I'll put the
update on it and return it to you. Maybe that would tell us something
conclusive about the issue you are having.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Mine is appararently the newer model. It says 010-10776-00 "USB2.0 Data Cd
Programmer" on the box and underneath the device itself it says "Garmin USB
HS Programmer".

I bought it brand new from an UK webshop 3 weeks ago ...

Bjarke

Bjarke M. Christensen wrote:
Mine is appararently the newer model. It says 010-10776-00 "USB2.0 Data Cd
Programmer" on the box and underneath the device itself it says "Garmin USB
HS Programmer".

I bought it brand new from an UK webshop 3 weeks ago ...

Bjarke

Do you know anyone else that has one? I wonder if there is something
wrong with yours.

Jack

Bjarke M. Christensen wrote:
No. That's was why I asked in this group .... If it was not working from
within Mapsource, I would clearly suspect the hardware, but in this case
..... ???

Bjarke

Yeah, I had forgotten that. Anyway, if you would like to send me a data
card I'll process it and send it back. Maybe that will tell you
something. For what it is worth, I am using my programmer with Windows
2000 Pro SP4 and with the recently released drivers for the programmer.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Hmmm I've only tried on two WinXP machines. Got an old one at work with
Win2k. I'll give that a shot.

Thank for your kind offer to program the chip, but I only have 64 meg chips
and I don't wanna risc customs charging vat for that (twice). Will be quite
costly. Must be possible to finde someone closer. Or better: get the damn
thing to work ....

Bjarke

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Bjarke M. Christensen wrote:
No. That's was why I asked in this group .... If it was not working from
within Mapsource, I would clearly suspect the hardware, but in this case
..... ???

Bjarke

Yeah, I had forgotten that. Anyway, if you would like to send me a data
card I'll process it and send it back. Maybe that will tell you
something. For what it is worth, I am using my programmer with Windows
2000 Pro SP4 and with the recently released drivers for the programmer.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)

Garmin GPS error & USCG 'Consumer Safety Defect' Report [email protected] Electronics 21 March 5th 07 12:22 AM
Nmea /dsc speckfisher Electronics 54 January 15th 07 02:32 PM
Garmin GPSMAP 2206 data protocols Steve Cowley Electronics 0 September 8th 06 12:29 AM
Garmin 182C vs. Standard Horizon CP150C, screen clarity ONE Electronics 1 July 28th 03 07:43 PM
Mea Culpa re Garmin Complaints Harlan Lachman Electronics 1 July 22nd 03 12:21 AM