posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bjarke M. Christensen Bjarke M. Christensen is offline

Default Firmware update on Garmin 292

Looks OK in the device manager.

Mapsource can see it as "USB data card programmer" (when you either receive
og send to "device"). And I cane erase/up- and down load to the chip from
within mapsource. I guess that proves the device drivers are OK ??

It DOES NOT show up as a removable disk. Should it ?

I've tried to uninstall/re-install and run thye executbale zip *several*
times ...

Bjarke

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Bjarke M. Christensen wrote:
Yes I did that (inkluding upgrade to latest usb drivers), but it fails
with a "there is a problem with the usb device" message. But the usb
device works fine from within mapsource where I can load wpt and routes
onto the card/chip.

Bjarke

When you plug the USB Programmer in, does a Garmin USB Device show up in
the Device Manager? If not, the drivers may be be installed yet.

Check the Device Manager and see if there is a failed install for
something (that will have a yellow question mark). If there is, uninstall
or remove that, unplug USB programmer, and restart the computer.

After the restart, plug in the USB programmer. If the New Hardware Found
Wizard finds has found the USB Programmer, lead it to the drivers (in a
c:\garmin folder normally) and let it complete the driver install.

At that point your USB programmer will show up in the Device Manager and
should be seen in Windows Explorer as a Removable Drive if it has a Data
Card in it. Or at least I think it will.

But if the Garmin USB Device shows up in the Device Manager, try running
the update *.exe file again.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)