Junior Member

Default Nmea /dsc

I have a new Icom M422 VHF and am trying to connect with a Garmin 182 GPS for the DSC function. I have contacted tech service both Icom and Garmin and it seems to be properly connected and all of the settings properly set. I only get a "NO POSITION" reading on my vhf when I go to ck it . I left it on for about an hour to see if it need time to initialize but still didn't work . Could it be that somehow they are incompatible with each other ? How can I check that? Also is it possible to check to see if the NMEA in/out are working on both sets?
Any help would be appreciated
posted to rec.boats.electronics
luc

interesting question, but I have no answer. Do you need to have
someone report a position to your VHF for it to show up? Or, do you
need to send out a distress call before your VHF will report your GPS
position. I'm curious to hear what others say about this.

Luc

posted to rec.boats.electronics
William Andersen

Amen.
I have two Garmin's, two VHF radios and a radar. I had to email Garmin for
assistance in wiring for each of them. The good news is that Garmin is quick
to answer email.
I not only told them what equipment I was connecting, but quoted the
manufacturer's instructions, because they don't all use the same
terminology.
Remember to set the Garmin for NMEA/NMEA, and maybe not the fastest speed.
I found that my radar doesn't seem to detect the information at the fastest
speed, but is OK at slower BAUD speeds.
If it's a new Garmin, you may have to manually initialize it. When I travel,
my Garmin sometimes takes a long time to figure out where it is, so I
manually initialize it for the new location.

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message
newsK%Of.15853$vC4.7665@clgrps12...

--
speckfisher

I just hooked up my JRC Nav 500 GPS to my Standard Horizon VHF. I pushed
the Nav button on the VHF and there was my position, speed, bearing and
date/time. Shouldn't need any sort of initialization and I would not
think the Garmin and Icom would be incompatible.
I find the designations used by the various manufacturers for NMEA data in
/ data out to be confusing. You never know if two different manufacturers
are describing things the same way. Its possible you just have the wires
hooked up wrong.
On my setup the GPS had DataOut + and DataIn +. These were the only two
wires I hooked up to the NMEA In / NMEA Out wires on the VHF.

The only other thing I can think of is matching the NMEA output speed from
the Garmin to whatever is spec'd for the VHF.

As for checking for a NMEA data stream, you can do this using a laptop
computer by using Terminal mode. Once again you will be faced with
connecting the correct GPS wires to the correct wires on a serial plug
that goes to the laptop. The manual for your Garmin should tell you which
NMEA strings it outputs. If the GPS is working its likely the NMEA output
is working so I'd concentrate on the connections to the radio.
Good luck.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"speckfisher" wrote in message

I have a new Icom M422 VHF and am trying to connect with a Garmin 182
GPS for the DSC function. I have contacted tech service both Icom and
Garmin and it seems to be properly connected and all of the settings
properly set. I only get a "NO POSITION" reading on my vhf when I go to
ck it . I left it on for about an hour to see if it need time to
initialize but still didn't work . Could it be that somehow they are
incompatible with each other ? How can I check that? Also is it
possible to check to see if the NMEA in/out are working on both sets?
Any help would be appreciated

Have you set the garmin to NMEA? Factory default is probably Garmin
protocol. Set it to NMEA and, if possible, select 4800 baud.

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wout B.

"speckfisher" wrote in message

I have a new Icom M422 VHF and am trying to connect with a Garmin 182
GPS for the DSC function. I have contacted tech service both Icom and
Garmin and it seems to be properly connected and all of the settings
properly set. I only get a "NO POSITION" reading on my vhf when I go to
ck it . I left it on for about an hour to see if it need time to
initialize but still didn't work . Could it be that somehow they are
incompatible with each other ? How can I check that? Also is it
possible to check to see if the NMEA in/out are working on both sets?
Any help would be appreciated

--
speckfisher

Check in the VHF manual (or ask support) which NMEA sentence is expected by
the VHF. Check if the GPS is configured properly (baud rate 4800, NMEA Out)
and make sure the version of NMEA that you have selected includes the
sentence that the VHF requires.
Wout

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Robert Miles

Under main set-up there is an option to change the interface set-up.
Change it to NMEA out.. don't think there is an option for baud rate.
This will get it going no problems.

Regards

Bob Miles

"speckfisher" wrote in message

I have a new Icom M422 VHF and am trying to connect with a Garmin 182
GPS for the DSC function. I have contacted tech service both Icom and
Garmin and it seems to be properly connected and all of the settings
properly set. I only get a "NO POSITION" reading on my vhf when I go to
ck it . I left it on for about an hour to see if it need time to
initialize but still didn't work . Could it be that somehow they are
incompatible with each other ? How can I check that? Also is it
possible to check to see if the NMEA in/out are working on both sets?
Any help would be appreciated

--
speckfisher

Junior Member

I have the config set the way the Garmin tech. told me on COMM2 .The baude rate is not an option to change. The wiring config. should be ok because both the Garmin and Icom techs e-mailed me the wiring diag. and I feel comfortable that the wiring is ok. The connections should also be ok because I cut and spliced them about 5 times and still could not get anything.
I ck to see if the the gps is communicating with the vhf by pushing the "POS/DSC" button for a few seconds and it should show my position on the vhf screen but it shows "NO POS" whitch according to the Icom tech means the gps is not communicating with the vhf. I don't if the gps is receiving from the vhf to plot someone elses position on the vhf screen. I don't know anyone in the area to ck it with
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Tailgunner

speckfisher wrote:
Robert Miles Wrote:
[...]

I have the exact same problem and have found no solution.
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson

I have the config set the way the Garmin tech. told me on COMM2 .

What is this? Didn't know VHS had com ports?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
William Andersen

Both the Garmin and the VHF have two ports.
The VHF has one to receive GPS info from the Garmin, which is displayed on
the VHF and transmitted with DSC, and another to send received info (from a
DSC reception) to the Garmin so that it will be displayed on the Garmin.

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
I have the config set the way the Garmin tech. told me on COMM2 .

What is this? Didn't know VHS had com ports?

how to read AIS data from encapsulated NMEA VDO sentence [email protected] Electronics 12 July 14th 06 01:15 AM
Objective of NMEA luc Electronics 27 March 7th 06 12:51 PM
Nmea and seatalk to TCP / IP nimbusgb Electronics 20 February 2nd 06 01:42 PM
Getting nmea connections into my laptop beaufortnc Cruising 15 December 30th 05 04:50 AM
Cool! Bennett trim tab indicators now interface with NMEA 2000 standard NOYB General 2 November 17th 05 03:57 PM