beaufortnc

Default Getting nmea connections into my laptop

Hi,

We have a Garmin GPSMap 210 - interfaced with a Robertson autopilot.

I want to add electronic charting and need to get the nmea signal into
my laptop.

I've identified the nmea in and nmea out wires, but what do I need to
do to interface with the computer?

I imagine it's some sort of magic box that converts to a serial or usb
plug?

Or can I hardwire the input and output into the serial plug?

Hard to find any real sailors around here to ask this time of year.
Too cold and the Bahamas are too close.

Thanks for the help,

Mike.

Ansley W. Sawyer

Mike,

I have the same set up and I have the Cap'n Mosaic navigational software.
They have a serial cable that wires to the GPS cable.

Ansley

markvictor

All you need is the D/sub 9 connector available at any
computer,electronic supply store or Radio shack

Dennis Pogson

markvictor wrote:
All you need is the D/sub 9 connector available at any
computer,electronic supply store or Radio shack

That assumes he has an older laptop with a 9-pin serial port. Newer laptops
only have USB, and he will therefore need a USB to Serial converter. There
are hundreds on Ebay.

Dennis.

markvictor

Dennis,
Imagine how disappointed I must have been to find out rhat my new
notebook PC (that's what they call laptops these days) I purchased in
November (OK, it was built in October 2005), was "older".... I rushed
out to replace with one of those newer simpler models with just USB
ports, but the nice man in the store told me to wait until
January...They are not going to have USB ports anymore, Just
firewire... On secomd thought, since this one has USB, Firewire,
Serial, and a couple of other ports, to hell with simplicity, I'm ok
with versatility...
He will also STILL need a male dsub 9 connector to plug into one of
those hundreds of converters you referenced, as well as driver software
for proper operation if he has no serial port...
regards
markvictor

markvictor

Oh,and by the way, Dennis, if you read the original post, you would
know I did not assume anything, he stated that he had serial and USB
ports...Guess he has one of those "older laptops" as well...
Regards,
markvictor

Larry

"markvictor" wrote in
oups.com:

He will also STILL need a male dsub 9 connector to plug into one of
those hundreds of converters you referenced, as well as driver software
for proper operation if he has no serial port...

http://www.stayonline.com/detail~ID~2370.html

Here's what I use, Webfoot. You plug your NMEA serial port off the NMEA
multiplexer that's supposed to go to the computer into its 9-pin port.
Then, you plug the Ethernet port into one of the ports on your NETGEAR
wireless router. No internet connection is necessary..(c;

The Webfoot receives all its DHCP data, just like your computer, from the
router's DHCP server, configuring it automatically to send out NMEA data
as TCP/IP packets to whatever LAN computers are connected to it, even
more than one, up to 253 on most routers.

Inside the laptop computer, you run a piece of software called a "virtual
serial port" or "Serial Port Redirector", which comes with the Webfoot,
by the way. Tell the SPR what COM port it should redirect and hook it to
the webfoot's LAN address over the wireless LAN. No wires, no fuss, no
tripping over wires in a busy cockpit.

Boot your favorite nav software, we use The Cap'n, and tell the nav
software to look on COM3 or whatever port the SPR is spoofing. The SPR,
router and Webfoot handle all the interfacing. The Cap'n thinks it has
found a live COM3 port with NMEA data on it, in both directions. (We
don't tell The Cap'n it's on the air for fear of embarrassing it.)

Take the laptop up to your favorite beanbag under the jib. Don't forget
the beer. Hollar back orders on your Family Radio Service walkie to the
slaves in the cockpit handling sheets and you're ready for sea!....(c;

Click on that waypoint and press the GOTO button and watch the helm
follow your commands.....

Life is GOOD.....

When you get back to the dock, be sure to plug in the cable TV line so
the cable router, also hooked to the WAN port of the wireless router, can
get your laptop on broadband. We're tired of looking at the movies we
took to sea and will need more from alt.binaries.movies.divx newsgroup...
(c;

Larry
Now with 1TB of storage online.

Larry

Larry wrote in news:Xns973A5984E6EF3noonehomecom@
208.49.80.253:

Here's what I use, Webfoot. You plug your NMEA serial port off the NMEA
multiplexer that's supposed to go to the computer into its 9-pin port.
Then, you plug the Ethernet port into one of the ports on your NETGEAR
wireless router. No internet connection is necessary..(c;

Now, if the damned fool NMEA manufacturers would dump all this 1970 serial
technology crap and just put an ethernet port, DHCP enabled of course, on
their boxes, I could be watching the radar on the bow, in color of course,
too!

Nuts.....(d^

NMEA SUCKS....

Me

In article ,
Larry wrote:

Larry wrote in news:Xns973A5984E6EF3noonehomecom@
208.49.80.253:

Here's what I use, Webfoot. You plug your NMEA serial port off the NMEA
multiplexer that's supposed to go to the computer into its 9-pin port.
Then, you plug the Ethernet port into one of the ports on your NETGEAR
wireless router. No internet connection is necessary..(c;

Now, if the damned fool NMEA manufacturers would dump all this 1970 serial
technology crap and just put an ethernet port, DHCP enabled of course, on
their boxes, I could be watching the radar on the bow, in color of course,
too!

Nuts.....(d^

NMEA SUCKS....

You just need the newer Furuno gear that uses FurunoNet....(ethernet)
as the interconnect metheod.....

adding an IP Stack/Ethernet Port to Marine Electronics is comming...
just not here yet....except Furuno.....

Me
markvictor

Mr Me...
You must be referring to "NavNet" FurunoNet(?) Two problems with
ethernet...!. the manufacturers have been spending money hand over fist
to re-invent the wheel under the dubious auspices of Beth Kahr and her
NMEA cronies, and are headlong into propagating NMEA 2000 (should have
called it 2010)..their version of can-buss technology.....(but no
provision for video display inter-connectivity) the solution to that
is black box and cpu with display simlar to NavNet , I agree,with some
reservation in that if the cpu goes down you lose ALL instruments.
The second problem( much easier to solve)is that the RJ connections
used on much of the equipment are almost useless in a sal****er
environment
due to corrosion...The solution- wireless? perhaps, the weatherized
hubs etc, are not that weatherized, or hardwired with more positive
means of mechanical connection. Which brings us back to problem #
1...Personally, I say screw the NMEA, and opt for black- box,...Now all
I need is a new microwave oven that doesn't disrupt every signal on my
boat, so Larry and I can have something to snack on when we're drinking
beer under the jib barking orders at the crew over their FRS-enabled
wris****ches....
Regards,
markvictor