Dene

Default "Clean" 12V for Laptop on Boat

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
I just got in DeLorme's new Street Atlas 2006 with the GPS puck for my
laptop, and I'm going to order some inexpensive NAV software right after
the first of the year. My current laptop is a four year old IBM T23,
which has been more than sufficient for my use while traveling. It has a
12V "cigar lighter" adapter/inverter box, which I have used without
incident on cars and boats. I'm assuming this device is sufficent to
"clean" that raw boat battery power so I don't fry the laptop. I haven't
had any problems with 12V power glitches so far, but I don't know if I'm
walking on the wild side here.

I do the same thing with my IBM Thinkpad. Use the battery, then when it
wears down, plug it into a 12 volt converter. So far....no problems.

Curious when inexpensive nav software you are going to buy for it. For now,
I use MS Streets because it shows me the channel on the Columbia River.
Definitely need more.

-Greg

Dene

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
Dene wrote:
[...]

I've run through both MS Streets and DeLorme for "streets." I have the
latest DeLorme and a two year old MS. I think the MS has a better
interface. DeLorme shows nothing on the water.

Maptech seems to have a relatively inexpensive package that words with a
USB GPS, and the Cap'n First Mate package is under $150.

I'm still in "search" mode.

Please reveal your final outcome. I'm leaning towards replacing my
Hummingbird fishfinder with an Eagle GPS/Fishfinder combo. You can get one
on E-bay for under $500. Using a laptop while driving a boat is cumbersome.
I'd prefer to have the display on the dash.

-Greg

Wayne.B

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 14:14:14 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

My "problem" with the smaller chart plotters (I have one, a Standard
Horizon), is that when you zoom in to see bottom depths and details, the
area covered is so small it isn't much good for navigating,

Exactly right, ideally you need both, and a laptop/GPS is a relatively
inexpensive way to do it.

Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM