Eisboch

Default "Clean" 12V for Laptop on Boat

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
I just got in DeLorme's new Street Atlas 2006 with the GPS puck for my
laptop, and I'm going to order some inexpensive NAV software right after
the first of the year. My current laptop is a four year old IBM T23, which
has been more than sufficient for my use while traveling. It has a 12V
"cigar lighter" adapter/inverter box, which I have used without incident on
cars and boats. I'm assuming this device is sufficent to "clean" that raw
boat battery power so I don't fry the laptop. I haven't had any problems
with 12V power glitches so far, but I don't know if I'm walking on the wild
side here.

I'd do some checking with Yamaha, although my guess is you will be fine.
Some older outboards had poor voltage regulation of the alternator output
and basically use the battery to hold the voltage around 12-14 volts. I
suspect your engine is probably much more advanced - in fact the four stroke
Yamaha on my Scout is probably the same. (2003 model). The Scout has 12
volt plug-in power outlets, so my quess is it will work fine.

It's a guess - only a guess.

Eisboch

Netsock

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:17:05 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
I just got in DeLorme's new Street Atlas 2006 with the GPS puck for my
laptop, and I'm going to order some inexpensive NAV software right after
the first of the year. My current laptop is a four year old IBM T23, which
has been more than sufficient for my use while traveling. It has a 12V
"cigar lighter" adapter/inverter box, which I have used without incident on
cars and boats. I'm assuming this device is sufficent to "clean" that raw
boat battery power so I don't fry the laptop. I haven't had any problems
with 12V power glitches so far, but I don't know if I'm walking on the wild
side here.

I would respond with the correct answer, if I thought for one second
you are telling the truth.

Liar.
__

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."

http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/

Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM