posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default FT-857 vs 706 MkII ?

Well, I got a rig for my boat last winter and settled with the Yaesu 857D.
It seemed to consume less power in listening mode and also coverd 70 cm.

Unfortunately, The Linux HamLib looks a bit aplha...

Steve wrote:

Is there anything to choose between these two sets for use on a boat
on both ham and marine bands (after appropriate doctoring) ? I am
inclining to the Yaesu, but largely because my main set in the FT-897
and I like it.

I am a bit surprised by the advice to add an SSB filter and DSP to the
Yaesu, that adds a lot to the price. How do the base sets compare?

Thanks

posted to rec.boats.electronics

OK, that must be country specific. Distress calls in my part og the world
are being taken very seriously. So seriously that if someone press the
button without reason that are to pay a 1000-5000 USD fee for sending out a
helicopter and a few lifeboats to see. Further, if you do send out digital
distress, it will wake up all the other gmdss radios making then awful
noisy. CG or not. Many people (among other commercial ships) will notice
that....

I could be just because I'm from an old sailor nation, but I think you
should do something to fix your CG problem.

However I do agree than an epirb is the most valuable security device.
Worldwide ....

Bjarke

"Larry" wrote in message
"Bjarke M. Christensen" bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in
:

But if 'emergency' is a concern to you, you should have the distress
function that is only availbale on marine ssb's.

Useless. The half-assed DSC/GMDSS implementation on pleasure craft
marine HF is damned near useless.

If he's going to spend money on EMERGENCY radios, he needs a 406 Mhz
EPIRB with its OWN GPS receiver built inside it, not some bogus GPS-ready
he hooks his GPS to. You don't even have to press the button, just let
it float and off she goes. They ALL pay attention to the 406 EPIRB going
off.

Hell, CG doesn't pay attention to boys screaming for help after their
stupid father/uncle rammed his sailboat into the Charleston Jetties.
There's no doubt they are in trouble. I've listened to the tape the
local radio station FORCED them to release under Freedom of Information
Act. How any CG watchstander could have just let them all drown for fear
of getting the boat crew out of their racks has never left my mind. How
soon the rest of the world forgets the "Morning Dew" incident.

The cure for this is 406 EPIRB notifying the big guns who are NOT afraid
of waking up the CG to do something and have the horsepower to do it. HF
is DOOMED. All the commercial stations that DID do most of the
listening, except for the Alaskans I'm going to get lambasted by for
saying it, are gone! Try it for yourselves! Switch to one of the CG
frequencies and CALL 'EM. I did. On the 5th frequency, I FINALLY got
ONE CG radio operator who was awake. I pointedly asked him why noone but
him was monitoring those other 4 frequencies. He didn't know.

I'm well versed in time-of-day HF propagation, the physics of HF. I've
been a ham using it since 1957. Right now, the bands are in awful shape,
the sunspot cycle near its low. 150 watts into all that rigging doesn't
make the trip very well in these conditions. You're much better off with
an Iridium phone so you can call 'em on the landline!

Larry W4CSC and other fine old calls since 1957.
--
Vista has been out a week.
Is Service Pack 1 ready yet?

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article ,
"Eric Fairbank" wrote:

Marine SSB's use an oven controlled crystal oscillator, not
temperature-compensated ones. Ham rigs that have a high stability oscillator
use the termperature-compenstated crystal oscillators.

May, or may not, be true, depending on the Radio Design. Type Acceptance
does NOT define the design, it only specifies the Stability.....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Larry wrote:

All the commercial stations that DID do most of the
listening, except for the Alaskans I'm going to get lambasted by for
saying it, are gone!

Naw, Larry, I would NEVER "lambast" you for such a statment......

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Bjarke M. Christensen" bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in
:

I could be just because I'm from an old sailor nation, but I think you
should do something to fix your CG problem.

Once the TV people made the story into a series of some pretty scathing
reports, the government bureaucrats couldn't just paint over the scratch.
Some definate changes were made, but that will go slack as time goes by.

The USCG thinks itself a drug enforcement agency, now, not a real service
to the marine community taxpayers. They love flack jackets and waving M-
16 automatic rifles around dressed in dark green suits like the SWAT
team. The South Carolina state bureaucrats even have dark green SWAT
boats to put their cowboys into.

However I do agree than an epirb is the most valuable security device.
Worldwide ....

Just make sure it's not a 121.5 Mhz EPIRB of old. Airliners don't
monitor that any more...no ears at sea. Here it's just used as a
localizer for the RDF on the helos to pinpoint your lifejacket floating
with or without you. The US military satellite constellation is at your
service on 406 Mhz with your MMSI. The GPS gets that fix down to 3-6
feet, which makes a real difference in awful weather.

Larry
--
Vista has been out a week.
Is Service Pack 1 ready yet?

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Larry" wrote in message

There's no oven in the M802.

Yes there IS. It uses a CR-604 OCXO. That's Oven Controlled Crystal
Oscillator. It uses a resistive heating element operating directly off the
HV supply.

Eric

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In addition to the M802, the following marine SSB's also use an OCXO. Icom
M700, M710, Furuno FS-1503, and the SEA222.

Eric

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Eric Fairbank" wrote in
:

Yes there IS. It uses a CR-604 OCXO. That's Oven Controlled Crystal
Oscillator. It uses a resistive heating element operating directly off
the HV supply.

What "high voltage supply"?? Does yours have tubes in it?? Mine only
draws around 200ma on receive, hardly enough to run its computer and any
kind of heater...

Larry
--
Vista has been out a week.
Is Service Pack 1 ready yet?
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Eric Fairbank" wrote in
:

In addition to the M802, the following marine SSB's also use an
OCXO. Icom
M700, M710, Furuno FS-1503, and the SEA222.

Eric

Now you've got my curiosity up. I've emailed Icom to find out and try to
wheedle an M802 schematic out of them I used to get free with ham
equipment.

Larry
--
Vista has been out a week.
Is Service Pack 1 ready yet?

Selling MKII 36 Catalina G&G ASA 1 January 30th 07 10:00 PM
Furuno 1721 MKII Compass input?? (long) Steve Electronics 3 January 13th 04 02:50 AM
Columbia 34 MK1 or MKII none ASA 9 October 27th 03 12:19 PM
JRC 1000/1500 MKII Radar? Electronics 1 August 13th 03 10:52 PM
FS: Heritage SeaDart MKII - FAST TOURING SINGLE LIKE NEW! E. Velado General 0 July 24th 03 08:15 PM