posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default FT-857 vs 706 MkII ?

"Bjarke M. Christensen" bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in
:

I could be just because I'm from an old sailor nation, but I think you
should do something to fix your CG problem.

Once the TV people made the story into a series of some pretty scathing
reports, the government bureaucrats couldn't just paint over the scratch.
Some definate changes were made, but that will go slack as time goes by.

The USCG thinks itself a drug enforcement agency, now, not a real service
to the marine community taxpayers. They love flack jackets and waving M-
16 automatic rifles around dressed in dark green suits like the SWAT
team. The South Carolina state bureaucrats even have dark green SWAT
boats to put their cowboys into.

However I do agree than an epirb is the most valuable security device.
Worldwide ....

Just make sure it's not a 121.5 Mhz EPIRB of old. Airliners don't
monitor that any more...no ears at sea. Here it's just used as a
localizer for the RDF on the helos to pinpoint your lifejacket floating
with or without you. The US military satellite constellation is at your
service on 406 Mhz with your MMSI. The GPS gets that fix down to 3-6
feet, which makes a real difference in awful weather.

Larry
--
Vista has been out a week.
Is Service Pack 1 ready yet?