posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Chartplotter Solution?

I believe I already know the answer, but is anyone aware of any marine
chart plotters that can display NOAA raster and vector charts via flash
memory that is not proprietary?

I have two computers in my nav station with multiple chart programs,
but I would like independent backup in the cockpit. I don't like
multifunction network displays using proprietary protocols. I don't want
multiple data displayed on one screen -- I have separate instruments for
that. I've considered UMPC, handheld and toughbook computers. Also
considered a touchscreen to control the nav computer, or even a
weatherproof lcd monitor slaved to the nav computer. Don't like any of
the options.

I believe there would be a good market for a simple daylight viewable
flash memory chartplotter capable of displaying NOAA charts. The unit
doesn't have to talk to me, download weather reports, or stock prices.

Anyone aware of forthcoming products?

Hank S.
S. Florida
posted to rec.boats.electronics

hank wrote in
:

I believe I already know the answer, but is anyone aware of any marine
chart plotters that can display NOAA raster and vector charts via flash
memory that is not proprietary?

Surely you jest! Boat electronics that can use ANY non-proprietary, not
exhorbitantly priced, free charts?! Ha, ha ha ha ha ah....(chuckle,
chortle)....(c;

Next thing you'll want is a cellphone PDA that just plugs into your
computer without buying our overpriced cellphone data network!

Over their cold, dead bodies!

Larry
--
Extremely intelligent life exists that is so smart they never called Earth.

Larry wrote:

Next thing you'll want is a cellphone PDA that just plugs into your
computer without buying our overpriced cellphone data network!

Actually thanks to bluetooth I don't have to plug the cellphone in. :-)

Regarding the chartplotter, think about it. Hi-res daylight display,
NEMA in (no GPS), no complex software for tracking, no output ports, and
no royality payments to chart houses. Price it aggressively with good
margins.

The negative with a slave LCD to my computer is no scale changing
capabilities at the helm. When you start adding bells and whistles, you
are into the toughbook/waterproof pc class. Handhelds are too darn small.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
You You is offline

In article ,
Larry wrote:

hank wrote in
:

I believe I already know the answer, but is anyone aware of any marine
chart plotters that can display NOAA raster and vector charts via flash
memory that is not proprietary?

Surely you jest! Boat electronics that can use ANY non-proprietary, not
exhorbitantly priced, free charts?! Ha, ha ha ha ha ah....(chuckle,
chortle)....(c;

Next thing you'll want is a cellphone PDA that just plugs into your
computer without buying our overpriced cellphone data network!

Over their cold, dead bodies!

Larry

Larry, you must have missed the IPhone launch in Frisco last tuesday...
posted to rec.boats.electronics

I have aquired, but not yet fitted a waterproof sunlight monitor and
waterproof trackball at the helm position running off the VGA output of my
laptop (Trackball into a USB socket)

Works fine at home.

Hell of a job finding a screen but an 8" waterproof screen is available at
about £800, and a touch screen at £200 extra. Couldn't get a Waterproof
trackball for less than £237 (all including VAT)

Phil

"hank" wrote in message
[...]

Define good market. How many units?

It's one thing to see relatively cheap devices being made for the consumer
market. But that doesn't directly translate to a device suitable for the
marine market. The durability demands of the marine market would make it
considerably more expensive. That and the number of likely unit sales would
also keep the price high. Cranking up a production run of a million units
allows greater efficiencies and reduces costs. If you're only building a
few thousand at a time your costs are much higher. Then there's the
marketing, sales and support costs.

As for using cell phones, no thanks. Having suffered through thunderstorms
and other rough seas I'd MUCH rather have a weatherproof setup built-into
the helm. A handheld would end up going overboard, or at the very least
getting smashed by dropping on the deck.

Sure, it'd be a great idea but it seems there's just not a large enough
market to do it at a low price.

GPS / Chartplotter solution? Ryk Cruising 29 August 19th 06 01:24 PM
A wireless (no wires to the computer) wifi solution? (very long) Skip Gundlach Cruising 3 August 10th 06 03:29 PM
A wireless (no wires to the computer) wifi solution? (very long) Skip Gundlach Electronics 3 August 10th 06 03:29 PM
Boating solution Barry General 4 May 11th 05 03:58 PM
best chartplotter for budget "round the worlder" Ric Electronics 9 November 1st 03 05:59 AM