posted to rec.boats.electronics
Phil Stanton Phil Stanton is offline

Default Chartplotter Solution?

I have aquired, but not yet fitted a waterproof sunlight monitor and
waterproof trackball at the helm position running off the VGA output of my
laptop (Trackball into a USB socket)

Works fine at home.

Hell of a job finding a screen but an 8" waterproof screen is available at
about £800, and a touch screen at £200 extra. Couldn't get a Waterproof
trackball for less than £237 (all including VAT)

Phil

"hank" wrote in message
I believe I already know the answer, but is anyone aware of any marine
chart plotters that can display NOAA raster and vector charts via flash
memory that is not proprietary?

I have two computers in my nav station with multiple chart programs, but I
would like independent backup in the cockpit. I don't like multifunction
network displays using proprietary protocols. I don't want multiple data
displayed on one screen -- I have separate instruments for that. I've
considered UMPC, handheld and toughbook computers. Also considered a
touchscreen to control the nav computer, or even a weatherproof lcd
monitor slaved to the nav computer. Don't like any of the options.

I believe there would be a good market for a simple daylight viewable
flash memory chartplotter capable of displaying NOAA charts. The unit
doesn't have to talk to me, download weather reports, or stock prices.

Anyone aware of forthcoming products?

Hank S.
S. Florida