posted to rec.boats.electronics
hank hank is offline

Default Chartplotter Solution?

I believe I already know the answer, but is anyone aware of any marine
chart plotters that can display NOAA raster and vector charts via flash
memory that is not proprietary?

I have two computers in my nav station with multiple chart programs,
but I would like independent backup in the cockpit. I don't like
multifunction network displays using proprietary protocols. I don't want
multiple data displayed on one screen -- I have separate instruments for
that. I've considered UMPC, handheld and toughbook computers. Also
considered a touchscreen to control the nav computer, or even a
weatherproof lcd monitor slaved to the nav computer. Don't like any of
the options.

I believe there would be a good market for a simple daylight viewable
flash memory chartplotter capable of displaying NOAA charts. The unit
doesn't have to talk to me, download weather reports, or stock prices.

Anyone aware of forthcoming products?

Hank S.
S. Florida