posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default SSB noise

krj wrote:

Actually, after several emails and info from Glenn Ashmore, I found that
Danfoss makes a shielded version of the controller with ferrite isolated
leads that will eliminate the noise. Gordon West was full of bs in the
article about the noise eminating from the digital thermostat. I
disconnected it and put in a manual one, the noise was still there.
krj

Did Gordon West identify the digital thermostat as the source?

In my reading of his article and in his recommendations, which I
summarised earlier in this thread, he focuses on the controller and the
compressor - all his recommended actions are about shielding the
controller and placing ferrite chokes on its connecting wires.

And that's exactly what you get if you manage to find the shielded
Danfoss controller (which seems quite hard to find - I've seen it
listed in catalogs but never seen a live one.

Cheers

Bil

posted to rec.boats.electronics
You You is offline

In article ,
krj wrote:

Capt Marti wrote:
krj wrote:
I just finished installing an SSB on my boat. When I turn on my freezer
I get noise on the radio that sounds like morse code. The freezer has a
Danfoss BD50 compressor with a digital thermostat. Has anyone else had
this problem. I think I remember Gordon West writing about this problem
in one of the sailing mags. but can't remember which one or when.
krj

Hi KRJ,
Yes indeed a Danfoss compressor is a heck of a source of noise. The
Gordon West article talks about putting aluminum foil around the
compressor to make a sort of a faraday cage to mute this noise...been
there, done that, bought the tee shirt and it didn't work. The only
solution I've found in 9 years of cruising is to turn the offending
appliance to the OFF position!

There are other sources of noise that can interfere with SSB reception
on a boat. I've recorded a bunch of them on the CD ROM that comes with
my book, Marine SSB Radio for Idi-Yachts.
See http://www.idiyachts.com for more info

Inverters, pumps, fans, shore power and the like can mess up the radio
reception as well.
Happy Holidaze!
Capt Marti

Actually, after several emails and info from Glenn Ashmore, I found that
Danfoss makes a shielded version of the controller with ferrite isolated
leads that will eliminate the noise. Gordon West was full of bs in the
article about the noise eminating from the digital thermostat. I
disconnected it and put in a manual one, the noise was still there.
krj

I suspect you will find that, Gordie West is fULL of BS, on a lot of
things.......