posted to rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] bilh@pd.jaring.my is offline

Default SSB noise

krj wrote:
I just finished installing an SSB on my boat. When I turn on my freezer
I get noise on the radio that sounds like morse code. The freezer has a
Danfoss BD50 compressor with a digital thermostat. Has anyone else had
this problem. I think I remember Gordon West writing about this problem
in one of the sailing mags. but can't remember which one or when.

Sail magazine, June 2005.

Gordon West recommended:

1. Wrap compressor and controller in copper foil and ground the foil to
the compressor's metal mounting legs;
2. Install ferrite chokes on the control wires coming out of the
controller, as close as possible to the plastic controller box; and
3. Wrap controller box with copper screen from a hardware store.

Cheers