posted to rec.boats.electronics
krj krj is offline

Default SSB noise

Keith wrote:
That "morse code" sound is a NEMA sentence bleeding into 12V wiring
through an improper connection. Check out this excellend site for info.
on how to check and correct.
http://www.shipmodul.com/en/connections.html

I don't think a Danfoss BD-50 compressor uses NEMA anyplace. That's the
only equipment turned on except for the SSB. The noise is radiated, NOT
coming through the 12V wiring. Disconnected the antenna from the SSB and
the noise goes away. Of course, the station being monitored goes away
alswo with no antenna.
posted to rec.boats.electronics
krj krj is offline

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
This has been discussed on Rparts forum a couple of times. The power unit
of the BD series of compressors is a variable frequency inverter and is
notorious for creating RF noise. Danfoss makes an aluminum shielded model
but they are hard to find and don't help with conducted noise. The digital
thermostat is not normally a source.

Some things that will help are ferrite chokes on all wires going to the
power unit to reduce conducted noise. You may have to experiment with the
size to cut the frequencies that you need. Also lining the compressor
locker with metal screening tied to ground reduces radiated noise.

Glenn,
You are right. It is not the digital thermostat. I disconnected the
thermostat leads from the compressor module and put a jumper between the
terminals to turn on the compressor. The noise is still there. It is
being radiated. I have clamp on ferrites on all the wires to the
thermostat, power leads, etc. Any idea where to purchase the shielded
module. The local marine refrigeration shop didn't seem to know anything
about it.
krj
posted to rec.boats.electronics

There are 4 different electronic modules for the BD series.:
You probably have the standard 101N0210 single speed with the plastic box.
The Danfoss part number for the single speed shielded module is 101N0220.
The 101N0300 is the AEO variable speed with plastic box and the 101N500 is
AEO with shield.

The AEO future saves a bunch of amp hours by adjusting compressor speed to
the load but the single speed models can be hooked to the Frigoboat SSC and
get the same optimization with a slightly better algorithm. They both work
on the principle that the system is most efficient when it runs for long
cycles at the lowest speed but the SSC has an override to run at full speed
for chill down.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
There are 4 different electronic modules for the BD series.:
You probably have the standard 101N0210 single speed with the plastic box.
The Danfoss part number for the single speed shielded module is 101N0220.
The 101N0300 is the AEO variable speed with plastic box and the 101N500 is
AEO with shield.

The AEO future saves a bunch of amp hours by adjusting compressor speed to
the load but the single speed models can be hooked to the Frigoboat SSC and
get the same optimization with a slightly better algorithm. They both work
on the principle that the system is most efficient when it runs for long
cycles at the lowest speed but the SSC has an override to run at full speed
for chill down.

Glenn,
Yes, I checked the module and it is the 101N0210. I guess the next task
is to find someone in Ft. Lauderdale who can get the 101N220 module.
Hope it isn't a BOATbuc to get a shielded moudle. You sure changing the
module will solve the problem?
krj
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Keith wrote:
That "morse code" sound is a NMEA sentence bleeding into 12V wiring
through an improper connection. Check out this excellend site for info.

on how to check and correct.
http://www.shipmodul.com/en/connections.html

Good point. Microcontroller RFI sure doesn't sound like morse code. I
assumed the OP was certain the freezer was causing the RFI. If that is
not the case, this may be a costly venture. I would urge definitive
isolation of the interference before attempting a cure.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

There are 4 different electronic modules for the BD series.:
You probably have the standard 101N0210 single speed with the plastic box.
The Danfoss part number for the single speed shielded module is 101N0220.
The 101N0300 is the AEO variable speed with plastic box and the 101N500 is
AEO with shield.

The AEO feature saves a bunch of amp hours by adjusting compressor speed to

"krj" wrote in message
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
[...]

Once you check out the site I mentioned earlier (print it out) start at
the GPS wiring, where it's signal is being sent to whatever...
computer, VHS, SSB, etc. That's most likely where the problem is.

Keith wrote:
Once you check out the site I mentioned earlier (print it out) start at
the GPS wiring, where it's signal is being sent to whatever...
computer, VHS, SSB, etc. That's most likely where the problem is.

As I replied earlier, the problem is radiated noise from the Danfoss
BD50 compressor control module. I have turn every electrical item on the
boat on and off individually to determine which, if any, generate noise,
either via the DC wiring or radiated. None cause a problem except the
compressor module. Glenn Ashmore provided the part numbers of shielded
control modules. I believe that when I finally find a place to purchase
one, my problem will be solved.
krj
posted to rec.boats.electronics

krj wrote:
I just finished installing an SSB on my boat. When I turn on my freezer
I get noise on the radio that sounds like morse code. The freezer has a
Danfoss BD50 compressor with a digital thermostat. Has anyone else had
this problem. I think I remember Gordon West writing about this problem
in one of the sailing mags. but can't remember which one or when.
krj

Hi KRJ,
Yes indeed a Danfoss compressor is a heck of a source of noise. The
Gordon West article talks about putting aluminum foil around the
compressor to make a sort of a faraday cage to mute this noise...been
there, done that, bought the tee shirt and it didn't work. The only
solution I've found in 9 years of cruising is to turn the offending
appliance to the OFF position!

There are other sources of noise that can interfere with SSB reception
on a boat. I've recorded a bunch of them on the CD ROM that comes with
my book, Marine SSB Radio for Idi-Yachts.
See http://www.idiyachts.com for more info

Inverters, pumps, fans, shore power and the like can mess up the radio
reception as well.
Happy Holidaze!
Capt Marti

Capt Marti wrote:
krj wrote:
[...]

Actually, after several emails and info from Glenn Ashmore, I found that
Danfoss makes a shielded version of the controller with ferrite isolated
leads that will eliminate the noise. Gordon West was full of bs in the
article about the noise eminating from the digital thermostat. I
disconnected it and put in a manual one, the noise was still there.
krj