posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Knots being phased out?

Ya! That's right. Hey, I've got a bridge. Are you interested?

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Your initial thought was correct.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"keith_nuttle" wrote in message
t...
I am just a chemist that likes to sail and have spent all of my time on
inland lakes.

I thought it was latitude but could be longitude, but I do remember that
the diameter of the earth at the equator in in knots is equal to 360 X
60.

Capt. JG wrote:
"krj" wrote in message
. ..

Peter Bennett wrote:

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 14:12:52 GMT, keith_nuttle
wrote:

Since the nautical mile is defined as one minute of latitude, I doubt
it will ever disappear in earth based navigation.

The Nautical Mile was originally based on a minute of latitude, but
the length of a minute of latitude varies with latitude, so an
International Nautical Mile is now defined as 1852 metres exactly, or
6076.11549 US feet, approximately, according to Bowditch.

I believe that the nautical mile is based on the minute of LONGITUDE not
latitude. Longitude doesn't vary with changes in latitude (or attitude).
That's why when you are using paper charts (remember those) you measure
the distance with your dividers on the longitude scale on the east or
west side of the chart.
krj

Where do you guys get this?? You have it 180 degrees backward. Or, is
this a troll? :-)

http://powerboat.about.com/od/forms_..._Longitude.htm

You're all wrong. It's diagonalitude.

"Don White" wrote in message
Don White wrote:

wrote:

Since the nautical mile is defined as one minute of latitude, I doubt
it will ever disappear in earth based navigation.

The Nautical Mile was originally based on a minute of latitude, but
the length of a minute of latitude varies with latitude, so an
International Nautical Mile is now defined as 1852 metres exactly, or
6076.11549 US feet, approximately, according to Bowditch.

I believe that the nautical mile is based on the minute of LONGITUDE not
latitude. Longitude doesn't vary with changes in latitude (or attitude).
That's why when you are using paper charts (remember those) you measure
the distance with your dividers on the longitude scale on the east or
west side of the chart.
krj

Agree.. that's what they taught us in the Power & Sail Squadron courses.

ooops...I'd better dig out those old textbooks & review.
Of course, that scale we measure on the left & right sides of the chart
are the latitude scales.

Oh yeah? So then how do you explain that all time classic Jimmy Buffett
song, "Changes in Longitude, Changes in Bongitude?"

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Its a darn good thing that some knots are being phased out ........ I
never can tie half of them!

So are you saying that in the end we'll all have the bends?

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Seattle.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in news:12n0t1osgh46l22
@corp.supernews.com:

Is that due to the fogdoppler effect?

No. It's due to them using on of the flawed Pentium processors.

Celerons? Yecch.....

What planet are Celerons native to?

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Larry wrote:
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in
:

Like I said - I knew things were different in Canada.

Canadians made all those projections. You can tell because all of them
make Canada look BIGGER than the rest of us....

Larry

If North America was a creature...you could thing of Canada as the head
& shoulders & the US as ......
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Your initial thought was correct.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"keith_nuttle" wrote in message
t...
I am just a chemist that likes to sail and have spent all of my time on
inland lakes.

I thought it was latitude but could be longitude, but I do remember that
the diameter of the earth at the equator in in knots is equal to 360 X
60.

Capt. JG wrote:
"krj" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

[...]

http://www.thefridayproject.co.uk/ta...78&mode=linear

A googlism... kewl

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"John Gaquin" wrote in message
. ..

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message news:bruceg-

.... Nautical Miles is based on "Minute of Latitude" which does
NOT change since the distance from the Equater to the Poles is ALWAYS
the SAME, from any place on the EQUATER. Therefor, when dividing that
distance in Degrees, MInutes, and Seconds, will ALWAYS produce the same
Unit Lengths.

Actually, the earth is not a perfect sphere, and the linear distance of 1
minute of latitude does vary slightly as you progress from equator to
pole.

One ALWAYS uses the Latitude markings for
distance because they do NOT change Unit Length, EVER.....

not so....

I believe the nautical mile was at one time specifically defined as equal
to 1 minute of longitude *at the equator*. As a practical matter, you
can apply this standard to latitude as well, using a minute of latitude
as a mile indicator. This is what is taught in all the CGAux nav classes
I have taught. Of course, a minute of latitude varies a bit from one
place to another, as mentioned above, but for all practical purposes, the
error can be discarded.

oblique spheroid I believe is the correct term

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

KLC Lewis wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

Don White wrote:

[...]

Too many umbrella type drinks?
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Its a darn good thing that some knots are being phased out ........ I
never can tie half of them!

So are you saying that in the end we'll all have the bends?

Oh, bite me.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Knots being phased out? Oliver Fleming General 135 December 7th 06 01:13 PM
Knots being phased out? Oliver Fleming Cruising 110 December 6th 06 07:53 PM
Knots on the Web Mic Cruising 4 May 18th 05 03:08 AM
Significant Knots, or Knotty Knotty Doug General 15 January 12th 04 01:47 PM
I live in God's Country! katysails ASA 3 November 17th 03 04:06 AM