posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Knots being phased out?

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

This is true. USCG is reporting that the term and nautical application
of "knot" will be replaced in 2014 by Grek-Gohk!, which is the Klingon
unit equal to .987, .878, and .799 miles depending on sea conditions.
Robert B
Beneteau 35s5
NY

Is that due to the fogdoppler effect?

No. It's due to them using on of the flawed Pentium processors.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"krj" wrote in message
. ..
Peter Bennett wrote:
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 14:12:52 GMT, keith_nuttle
wrote:

Since the nautical mile is defined as one minute of latitude, I doubt it
will ever disappear in earth based navigation.

The Nautical Mile was originally based on a minute of latitude, but
the length of a minute of latitude varies with latitude, so an
International Nautical Mile is now defined as 1852 metres exactly, or
6076.11549 US feet, approximately, according to Bowditch.

I believe that the nautical mile is based on the minute of LONGITUDE not
latitude. Longitude doesn't vary with changes in latitude (or attitude).
That's why when you are using paper charts (remember those) you measure
the distance with your dividers on the longitude scale on the east or west
side of the chart.
krj

Where do you guys get this?? You have it 180 degrees backward. Or, is this a
troll? :-)

http://powerboat.about.com/od/forms_..._Longitude.htm

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
krj krj is offline

Capt. JG wrote:

"krj" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Ooops, I did get it backwards
krj

wrote:

Since the nautical mile is defined as one minute of latitude, I doubt it
will ever disappear in earth based navigation.

The Nautical Mile was originally based on a minute of latitude, but
the length of a minute of latitude varies with latitude, so an
International Nautical Mile is now defined as 1852 metres exactly, or
6076.11549 US feet, approximately, according to Bowditch.

I believe that the nautical mile is based on the minute of LONGITUDE not
latitude. Longitude doesn't vary with changes in latitude (or attitude).
That's why when you are using paper charts (remember those) you measure
the distance with your dividers on the longitude scale on the east or
west side of the chart.
krj

What? Longitude doesn't vary with latitude??????
Are you also saying that Latitude DOES vary with regards to
longitude??????

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

krj wrote:
Capt. JG wrote:

"krj" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

[...]

sorry, didn't see this post from you until after I replied.

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"krj" wrote in message
.. .
Capt. JG wrote:

"krj" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

[...]

Heh... I knew it was a troll. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote:

Since the nautical mile is defined as one minute of latitude, I doubt
it will ever disappear in earth based navigation.

The Nautical Mile was originally based on a minute of latitude, but
the length of a minute of latitude varies with latitude, so an
International Nautical Mile is now defined as 1852 metres exactly, or
6076.11549 US feet, approximately, according to Bowditch.

I believe that the nautical mile is based on the minute of LONGITUDE not
latitude. Longitude doesn't vary with changes in latitude (or attitude).
That's why when you are using paper charts (remember those) you measure
the distance with your dividers on the longitude scale on the east or
west side of the chart.
krj

Agree.. that's what they taught us in the Power & Sail Squadron courses.
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Bob Bob is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 1 Dec 2006 06:48:41 -0800, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

This is true. USCG is reporting that the term and nautical application
of "knot" will be replaced in 2014 by Grek-Gohk!, which is the Klingon
unit equal to .987, .878, and .799 miles depending on sea conditions.

ROTFL!!!

I wonder what that would be in Ferengi units of measure.

Or Vulcan units of measure.

For Vulcan measurments check out these great Vuls ! The BB team is a
bit rough but gotta love the VB team!!!!! At least I do.

http://vulcans.uhh.hawaii.edu/

Also be advised that Ferengi Rule of Acquisition No. 6 requires:
Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed measured in KPH
so that she can take proper and effective action to acquire, take, or
possess anything of value appropriate to the prevailing circumstances
and conditions.

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Tim Tim is offline

Capt. Rob wrote:
This is true. USCG is reporting that the term and nautical application
of "knot" will be replaced in 2014 by Grek-Gohk!,

When did the online car insurance people get involved with contracting
measurements?

Don White wrote:

wrote:

Since the nautical mile is defined as one minute of latitude, I
doubt it will ever disappear in earth based navigation.

The Nautical Mile was originally based on a minute of latitude, but
the length of a minute of latitude varies with latitude, so an
International Nautical Mile is now defined as 1852 metres exactly, or
6076.11549 US feet, approximately, according to Bowditch.

I believe that the nautical mile is based on the minute of LONGITUDE
not latitude. Longitude doesn't vary with changes in latitude (or
attitude). That's why when you are using paper charts (remember those)
you measure the distance with your dividers on the longitude scale on
the east or west side of the chart.
krj

Agree.. that's what they taught us in the Power & Sail Squadron courses.

ooops...I'd better dig out those old textbooks & review.
Of course, that scale we measure on the left & right sides of the chart
are the latitude scales.

Knots being phased out? Oliver Fleming General 135 December 7th 06 01:13 PM
Knots being phased out? Oliver Fleming Cruising 110 December 6th 06 07:53 PM
Knots on the Web Mic Cruising 4 May 18th 05 03:08 AM
Significant Knots, or Knotty Knotty Doug General 15 January 12th 04 01:47 PM
I live in God's Country! katysails ASA 3 November 17th 03 04:06 AM