posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Knots being phased out?

In article ,
krj wrote:

Peter Bennett wrote:
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 14:12:52 GMT, keith_nuttle
wrote:

Since the nautical mile is defined as one minute of latitude, I doubt it
will ever disappear in earth based navigation.

The Nautical Mile was originally based on a minute of latitude, but
the length of a minute of latitude varies with latitude, so an
International Nautical Mile is now defined as 1852 metres exactly, or
6076.11549 US feet, approximately, according to Bowditch.

I believe that the nautical mile is based on the minute of LONGITUDE not
latitude. Longitude doesn't vary with changes in latitude (or attitude).
That's why when you are using paper charts (remember those) you measure
the distance with your dividers on the longitude scale on the east or
west side of the chart.
krj

Hmmmmm..... I think you have your terms "Wrapped around the Axle"
here.... Nautical Miles is based on "Minute of Latitude" which does
NOT change since the distance from the Equater to the Poles is ALWAYS
the SAME, from any place on the EQUATER. Therefor, when dividing that
distance in Degrees, MInutes, and Seconds, will ALWAYS produce the same
Unit Lengths. Where as Longitude is the cicumfrence of the earth at
the equater divided into Degrees, Minutes, and Seconds, and that DOES
change Unit length as you move closer to the Poles. Longitude is marked
on the bottom and top of Maps, where Latitude is marked on the right and
left had edges of Maps. One ALWAYS uses the Latitude markings for
distance because they do NOT change Unit Length, EVER.....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:26:25 GMT, Don White
wrote:

wrote:

Since the nautical mile is defined as one minute of latitude, I doubt
it will ever disappear in earth based navigation.

The Nautical Mile was originally based on a minute of latitude, but
the length of a minute of latitude varies with latitude, so an
International Nautical Mile is now defined as 1852 metres exactly, or
6076.11549 US feet, approximately, according to Bowditch.

I believe that the nautical mile is based on the minute of LONGITUDE not
latitude. Longitude doesn't vary with changes in latitude (or attitude).
That's why when you are using paper charts (remember those) you measure
the distance with your dividers on the longitude scale on the east or
west side of the chart.
krj

Agree.. that's what they taught us in the Power & Sail Squadron courses.

I knew things were different in Canada. :)

D'oh!
It was you 'merican military types who dreamed up the newer Universal
Tranverse mercator system...probably around the time you were a young
private..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...rdinate_system
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 20:18:10 GMT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Since the earth is not a perfect sphere, the length of a minute of
latitude _does_ vary slightly with latitude - Bowditch has a table
showing the lengths of a minute of Lat and Long for various latitudes.
I vaguely recall a minute of latitude varies by 300 ft or so from
equator to pole (don't recall which end is longer), and is only a
nautical mile at about 44 degrees.

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Peter Bennett" wrote in message
news.com...
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 20:18:10 GMT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have a feeling that small diff isn't going to hurt your transatlantic
jouneys. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote:

Hmmmmm..... I think you have your terms "Wrapped around the Axle"
here....

Another one to put in my book of great sayings.

Although it might have more relevance if it were wrapped around the
prop.

Thank you... :)

When I was young (about 12) , I often hung around a service station owned
by a friend of my father. One day an elderly guy pulled in driving an old
Rambler station wagon. His muffler and exhaust system from the engine back
was dragging on the ground. To get him by until he could get the car in for
a permanent repair, the station owner handed me some bailing wire and told
me to climb under the car and wire the exhaust back up as a temporary fix.

It was temporary alright. I did a great job carefully wiring the exhaust
pipe tightly around the driveshaft.

Eisboch

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
ACP ACP is offline

wrote:

[...]

Oooops....

If you'd have used a slip knot, it probably would have been OK. 8)

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default European Union DIrective

Appears this is related to the EU's Metric Directive. Outlawing the use
of Non-Metric units.
In it's allowed units for special circumstances it lists the Fathom as
authorized for maritime use. But does not list the Knot. However this
can likley be worked around as there is no prohibition in using Minutes
of Latitude and likewise Minutes of Latitude per hour.

Oliver Fleming wrote:
Hi,
I have been told that all new equipment, chartplotters, speedometers and
the like will not have knots as a speed option.
Knots will be phased out and KPH will be the new standard for marine
equipment.

Has anybody heard of this?

If so where?

Some links please if available.

Thanks
Oliver Fleming

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 1 Dec 2006 14:46:20 -0800, "
wrote:

Another failed EU initiative. Bet the French were behind it. :)

Worse The EU Parliament

Effective 2010 you package marked 5KG (11LB) is Illegal in Europe.
I am sure the bureaucrats there would be perfectly happy forcing the
worlds meritime services to start computing everythin in Meters per
Second. And will disavow any responsibility for any collisions,
groundings etc. that result.

http://ts.nist.gov/WeightsAndMeasure...tive_20102.pdf

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On edit

What effect this has on shipping depends upon the IMO Conventions. As
international agreements they require the EU to bend their rules to
accomodate them.

I havn't found confirmation. But I think Licenced Navigators are
Required to record there speeds, intended and Actual, on the Chart in
Knots. Under the Course line with the heading in degrees above the
course line. Which makes the use of instruments indicating speed in
knots necessary.

wrote:

Another failed EU initiative. Bet the French were behind it. :)

Worse The EU Parliament

Effective 2010 you package marked 5KG (11LB) is Illegal in Europe.
I am sure the bureaucrats there would be perfectly happy forcing the
worlds meritime services to start computing everythin in Meters per
Second. And will disavow any responsibility for any collisions,
groundings etc. that result.

http://ts.nist.gov/WeightsAndMeasure...tive_20102.pdf

Knots being phased out? Oliver Fleming General 135 December 7th 06 01:13 PM
Knots being phased out? Oliver Fleming Cruising 110 December 6th 06 07:53 PM
Knots on the Web Mic Cruising 4 May 18th 05 03:08 AM
Significant Knots, or Knotty Knotty Doug General 15 January 12th 04 01:47 PM
I live in God's Country! katysails ASA 3 November 17th 03 04:06 AM