posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
ACP ACP is offline

Default European Union DIrective

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 20:32:53 GMT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

In article ,
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:48:12 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

All such arbitrary measurement systems are silly. We should base all
measurements on the half-life of Cesium, as the good Lord intended.

Crap - now I've got Pepsi all over the monitor!!! :)

ROTFL!!!!

I found that Diest Mug Rootbeer and BlueTooth Keyboards Don't mix well
at all..... Hope yours likes Pepsi better than mine liked Rootbear....

Fortunately, it was only the monitor.

And I love Mug Rootbeer. I love root beer period. Sarsaparilla too.
And Birch Beer. I used to make my own Root beer.

Now that I think about it, why am I drinking Pepsi? :)

Please stick with the Pepsi, I have a fair amount of PEP stock. But then
again, I prefer Diet Coke!

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
ACP ACP is offline

. ..

wrote:

All such arbitrary measurement systems are silly. We should base all
measurements on the half-life of Cesium, as the good Lord intended.

Crap - now I've got Pepsi all over the monitor!!! :)

ROTFL!!!!

I found that Diest Mug Rootbeer and BlueTooth Keyboards Don't mix well
at all..... Hope yours likes Pepsi better than mine liked Rootbear....

Fortunately, it was only the monitor.

And I love Mug Rootbeer. I love root beer period. Sarsaparilla too.
And Birch Beer. I used to make my own Root beer.

Now that I think about it, why am I drinking Pepsi? :)

Please stick with the Pepsi, I have a fair amount of PEP stock. But then
again, I prefer Diet Coke!

I do drink Pepsi - Diet Pepsi actually. I hate Diet Coke.

Pah...

Oh, I also own Pepisco - it's been a good performer.

At least you loyal to holdings. I used to be a loyal Pepsi drinker
(non-diet) until I got hooked on DC.

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
t...
And they did it all while eating nothing but Lutefisk! :-)

Just how ****ed up was the fish that turning it into Lutefisk was an
*improvement*?

I think they preferd Lutfisk to the alternative.
/Lars J

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Knots being phased out?

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
In article ,
krj wrote:

Peter Bennett wrote:
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 14:12:52 GMT, keith_nuttle
wrote:

Since the nautical mile is defined as one minute of latitude, I doubt it
will ever disappear in earth based navigation.

The Nautical Mile was originally based on a minute of latitude, but
the length of a minute of latitude varies with latitude, so an
International Nautical Mile is now defined as 1852 metres exactly, or
6076.11549 US feet, approximately, according to Bowditch.

I believe that the nautical mile is based on the minute of LONGITUDE not
latitude. Longitude doesn't vary with changes in latitude (or attitude).
That's why when you are using paper charts (remember those) you measure
the distance with your dividers on the longitude scale on the east or
west side of the chart.
krj

Hmmmmm..... I think you have your terms "Wrapped around the Axle"
here.... Nautical Miles is based on "Minute of Latitude" which does
NOT change since the distance from the Equater to the Poles is ALWAYS
the SAME, from any place on the EQUATER. Therefor, when dividing that
distance in Degrees, MInutes, and Seconds, will ALWAYS produce the same
Unit Lengths. Where as Longitude is the cicumfrence of the earth at
the equater divided into Degrees, Minutes, and Seconds, and that DOES
change Unit length as you move closer to the Poles. Longitude is marked
on the bottom and top of Maps, where Latitude is marked on the right and
left had edges of Maps. One ALWAYS uses the Latitude markings for
distance because they do NOT change Unit Length, EVER.....

Bruce in alaska

Bruce has this right, but do watch out for very large area charts,
like, say, the North Atlantic (do they still print this?). To measure
nautical miles, you have to use the latitude scale near the latitude
you are measuring because the printed "length" of a minute of latitude
changes up and down the chart. This is an oddness of Mercator
projections. Similarly the shortest distance between two points on a
large area Mercator chart is usually NOT a straight line (see great
circle courses). But the Earth is round, and a real minute of Latitude
is always a nautical mile.

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
You You is offline

wrote:

All such arbitrary measurement systems are silly. We should base all
measurements on the half-life of Cesium, as the good Lord intended.

Crap - now I've got Pepsi all over the monitor!!! :)

ROTFL!!!!

I found that Diest Mug Rootbeer and BlueTooth Keyboards Don't mix well
at all..... Hope yours likes Pepsi better than mine liked Rootbear....

Fortunately, it was only the monitor.

And I love Mug Rootbeer. I love root beer period. Sarsaparilla too.
And Birch Beer. I used to make my own Root beer.

Now that I think about it, why am I drinking Pepsi? :)

because that is what the Little Lady likes and it is the only thing
in the house......Dahhhhhhh.....

wrote:

All such arbitrary measurement systems are silly. We should base all
measurements on the half-life of Cesium, as the good Lord intended.

Crap - now I've got Pepsi all over the monitor!!! :)

ROTFL!!!!

I found that Diest Mug Rootbeer and BlueTooth Keyboards Don't mix well
at all..... Hope yours likes Pepsi better than mine liked Rootbear....

Fortunately, it was only the monitor.

And I love Mug Rootbeer. I love root beer period. Sarsaparilla too.
And Birch Beer. I used to make my own Root beer.

Now that I think about it, why am I drinking Pepsi? :)

because that is what the Little Lady likes and it is the only thing
in the house......Dahhhhhhh.....

When we were in Haines, AK this summer, the micro brewery, really good brew,
made real Birch beer. He said he went out in hte spring and collected the
birch tips to brew the beverage. His was alcohol containing.

Knots being phased out? Oliver Fleming General 135 December 7th 06 01:13 PM
Knots being phased out? Oliver Fleming Cruising 110 December 6th 06 07:53 PM
Knots on the Web Mic Cruising 4 May 18th 05 03:08 AM
Significant Knots, or Knotty Knotty Doug General 15 January 12th 04 01:47 PM
I live in God's Country! katysails ASA 3 November 17th 03 04:06 AM