posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Temperature Analog to Digital, NMEA 2000

Hi,
I got a Yanmar engine (3YM30). I only have an "overheating" signal
but would like to get a temperature gauge installed. I have a C-80
Raymarine on my boat with supposedly can display temperature data when
transmitted in NMEA-2000 format. So it should theoretically be possible
to display engine data on my C-80. The trick I suppose would be to
somehow convert the analog temperature gauge data into a digital signal
and encode in NMEA 2000.. so my question is this:

1) Do you know of anybody who makes such a device?
2) Any generic parts that could be coaxed to do this?
3) Installing an analog gauge would be a lot easier?

Thanks
Ax

posted to rec.boats.electronics

1) Do you know of anybody who makes such a device?

Maretron's been threatening to ship an NMEA 2000 black box for engine
sensors. But it's still not available. Murphy's PowerView works with new
engines that already have NMEA 2000 or CANBus (probably not your, but check
with Yanmar).

2) Any generic parts that could be coaxed to do this?

None I've seen. Lowrance's EP-35 temp sensor only goes up to 176F so it's
no good for engine monitoring, but that's not what they sell it for anyway.

3) Installing an analog gauge would be a lot easier?

Easier and certainly less expensive. That and, frankly, having used an E-80
all this past season, along with NMEA 2000 networking, I find it's better to
have things like engine sensors on a different display. Either on their own
gauges, a multi-element gauge or on something like a Lowrance LMF-series
digital display. For things like engine temps and oil pressure you REALLY
want it visible without having to fiddle with displays. Most are calibrate
such that the normal operating value lays at a predictable and indicated
point on the gauge. That way to detect a problem you only have to scan the
dials looking for something that's NOT resting at the expected location. I
find the chartplotter is best left showing charts, radar or weather. Trying
to cram numeric or psuedo-analog gauges onto the display just crowds things
too much to be useful. And even if I had room for a whole other E-80 I'd
still use separate gauges for their quick-scan visibility.

-Bill Kearney

posted to rec.boats.electronics

When installing a gauge it is often helpful to include a device which allows
a high temperature audible alarm. Usually, when a marine engine overheats
it's due to pumping or coolant loss. These problems can cause very rapid
overheating and consequent damage. An alarm slightly lower than the damage
threshold can be a really useful thing.

Butch
"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
t...
[...]

The usual problem with overheating is lack of cooling seawater due to a
blockage.

A better protection is a water flow detector which shows that the water is
flowing and usually gives an earlier indication of impending failure which
allows the engine to be shut down before overheating occurs.

Alec

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I got a Yanmar engine (3YM30). I only have an "overheating" signal
but would like to get a temperature gauge installed. I have a C-80
Raymarine on my boat with supposedly can display temperature data when
transmitted in NMEA-2000 format. So it should theoretically be possible
to display engine data on my C-80. The trick I suppose would be to
somehow convert the analog temperature gauge data into a digital signal
and encode in NMEA 2000.. so my question is this:

1) Do you know of anybody who makes such a device?
2) Any generic parts that could be coaxed to do this?
3) Installing an analog gauge would be a lot easier?

Thanks
Ax

posted to rec.boats.electronics

if you consider putting in an analog gauge a surveyor I know swears by
these Murphy Gauges. They have a mechanical switch built in to the
gauge which are set for an upper and lower temp limit when they make
contact. kind of pricey.

http://www.fwmurphy.com/products/temperature/index.htm

Our heavy-duty mechanical Swichgage® and Murphygage® temperature instruments featu

* Rugged industrial rated diaphragm movement
* Tough PVC-armored capillary
* Plated steel case
* Polycarbonate lens
* Stainless steel bezel

The products are available in 2, 2.5 and 4.5 inches (51, 64, and 114 mm). The 4.5-inch version also features a dial
mechanical/analog readout and adjustable high and low limit contacts.

Our “A-series” products include environmental sealing to keep out damaging condensation.

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 13:19:29 +0100, "Salvador Ferrairo" wrote:

look at this

http://www.emminet.com/albatross/pdf...93c106 59a489

escribió en el mensaje
roups.com...
Hi,
I got a Yanmar engine (3YM30). I only have an "overheating" signal
but would like to get a temperature gauge installed. I have a C-80
Raymarine on my boat with supposedly can display temperature data when
transmitted in NMEA-2000 format. So it should theoretically be possible
to display engine data on my C-80. The trick I suppose would be to
somehow convert the analog temperature gauge data into a digital signal
and encode in NMEA 2000.. so my question is this:

1) Do you know of anybody who makes such a device?
2) Any generic parts that could be coaxed to do this?
3) Installing an analog gauge would be a lot easier?

Thanks
Ax

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I just bought a engine overheating alarm and monitor from Australia on
ebay.
Its called a Engine Watchdog TM2
It displays the engines temperature on an Led display and has a audible
alarm and light.
The sensor just bolts to the engine block.
It was very easy to fit and set the alarm, works great on my engine.
Hope this helps
Regards James J

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I just bought a engine overheating alarm and monitor from Australia on
ebay.
Its called a Engine Watchdog TM2
It displays the engines temperature on an Led display and has a audible
alarm and light.
The sensor just bolts to the engine block.
It was very easy to fit and set the alarm, works great on my engine.
Hope this helps
Regards James J

Yes and BTW it is a nice idea to have an external (not immersed in coolant) temp gauge on any engine as an added security. In fact many immersed sensors fail to indicate overheating in case of fresh coolant rapid loss since they need the (overheated) coolant to register any overtemp situation. So they work well in case of seawater blockage but sometimes fail to account for fresh water loss. In the latter case a dry sensor bolted on a hot spot (usually the head) is better. Of course an exhaust pyrometer is even better but expencieve.

I also want to emphasize the need to have separate, analogue, and reliable gauges for at least water temp and oil pressure and not mix them up into multi displays etc. An audible alarm is also really a must since a stressed diesel can overheat in about a minute if left without coolant.

Hope this helps.

Cheap navigation system Gilligan ASA 8 October 11th 06 10:35 PM
nmea 2000 gps antenna? Bill Kearney Electronics 0 September 18th 06 04:11 PM
Cool! Bennett trim tab indicators now interface with NMEA 2000 standard NOYB General 2 November 17th 05 03:57 PM
REQ: NMEA 2000 standard [email protected] Electronics 1 September 2nd 05 11:12 AM
Connect Raymarine ST60 Multi to laptop Phil Stanton Electronics 13 May 31st 05 10:36 PM