posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Garmin GPSMAP 378

I've been looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 376, I think I might buy it. The cost
is around $1000, but it looks like a good fit for inland water and automobile
usage. I would use it mainly in my car ( I do alot of service calls to new
customers in the Southeast) and in my boat which I keep within inland waters.

Has anyone used this gps model? Any comments, suggests, etc?

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I helped a lady that bought a 276C, I did NOT like it. The problem was that
it was a long process to load maps and it did not hold a whole state. The
screen was also small for marine charts. If the 378 has the entire country
loaded for streets, it would be OK. The screen is small for marine charts.
I wonder if for the same price you could get 2 units? One Marine, one
streets.
Lee Haefele
"Zackman" u25808@uwe wrote in message news:6560158251149@uwe...
I've been looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 376, I think I might buy it. The
cost
is around $1000, but it looks like a good fit for inland water and
automobile
usage. I would use it mainly in my car ( I do alot of service calls to
new
customers in the Southeast) and in my boat which I keep within inland
waters.

Has anyone used this gps model? Any comments, suggests, etc?

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I originally looked at the 276C and it is similar to the 378, except all the
maps are preloaded for both land and inland waterways. When you add up all
the stuff included with the 378, that you would need to buy to upgrade the
276C to be like the 378, you come out ahead by buy the 378.

Lee Haefele wrote:
I helped a lady that bought a 276C, I did NOT like it. The problem was that
it was a long process to load maps and it did not hold a whole state. The
screen was also small for marine charts. If the 378 has the entire country
loaded for streets, it would be OK. The screen is small for marine charts.
I wonder if for the same price you could get 2 units? One Marine, one
streets.
Lee Haefele
I've been looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 376, I think I might buy it. The
cost

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

Has anyone used this gps model? Any comments, suggests, etc?

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Zackman" u25808@uwe wrote in message news:6560158251149@uwe...
I've been looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 376, I think I might buy it. The
cost
is around $1000, but it looks like a good fit for inland water and
automobile
usage. I would use it mainly in my car ( I do alot of service calls to
new
customers in the Southeast) and in my boat which I keep within inland
waters.

Has anyone used this gps model? Any comments, suggests, etc?

If you have a laptop and a 12vdc adapter you might consider Microsoft
Streets and trips with a GPS connected to the laptop. You can get the
package on eBay for something like $200. Works great.
You then have money left over for a decent size chart plotter for the boat
or you might even consider using the laptop on the boat with charting
software and charts.

Lee Haefele wrote:
[...]

Hi - I've bought a 478 -- the same model, but for coastal waters -- and
love it on the boat. The screen is clear and bright even in direct
sunlight, the battery runs 5-7 hours, and the nav is easy and
intuitive. Yes, the screen is small, but we always use a paper chart
at the same time, and if you want the big picture on the small screen,
just hit the range out button and it becomes obvious where you are. We
also bought the Edson arm mount for the pedestal, which was expensive
but very handy, and are in the process of wiring DC power so we don't
have to worry about the battery. Hope this is helpful.