posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Wiring diagrams - what do you use?

Hi,

Whats your preffered choice for drawing boat wiring diagrams? Most
electronics CAD software I have seen is more aimed at circuit layout
than wiring. Would be great to have somthing where you could connect
the points but move the objects around etc.

There must be an easy way of drawing these out?

Any suggestions much appreciated! :-)

Many thanks,

Anthony.

Ants wrote:
Hi,

Whats your preffered choice for drawing boat wiring diagrams? Most
electronics CAD software I have seen is more aimed at circuit layout
than wiring. Would be great to have somthing where you could connect
the points but move the objects around etc.

There must be an easy way of drawing these out?

Any suggestions much appreciated! :-)

Many thanks,

Anthony.

I use this for occasional wiring diagrams:

http://www.capilano.com/html/dwwl.html
DesignWorks Lite for Windows

You can try it for a month and see if
you like it.

Chuck

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article , "Glen \"Wiley\"
Wilson" wrote:
On 6 Jul 2006 03:34:23 -0700, "Ants" wrote:

Whats your preffered choice for drawing boat wiring diagrams? Most
electronics CAD software I have seen is more aimed at circuit layout
than wiring. Would be great to have somthing where you could connect
the points but move the objects around etc.

I use Visio for that. You get more of a block diagram than a true
wiring diagram, but it does let you move objects around as you
specified. If you want to see one, take a look at my web site at

http://www.worldwidewiley.com/2boat.shtml

Select the link for "DC System" to grab a pdf I made from a Visio
file.

Wish I had something better (and free) to recommend.

I have been using ExpressSCH as a drawing tool. Its free with ExpressPCB
which is also free. PCB Express is another company which seems to confuse
the issue especially by Google.

I might add, components can be moved and attached wires will remain connected.
New components can be drawn. A drawing can be copied to Windows clipboard
and pasted into other programs. You can also select, by clicking and dragging, and
the selected parts will move in unison. Probably the most intuitive program around
allthough everything always takes time to get fully profficient.

greg

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Ants" wrote in news:1152182063.572786.214460@
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

There must be an easy way of drawing these out?

http://www.tenlinks.com/CAD/PRODUCTS/electrical.htm

Lots of them are FREE...(c;

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I also use Visio, for no other reason than I know the software already,
and CAD software would be overkill. I then cut and paste to a word
document, before I send to the yard or other members of our yahoo
group, so they can view it.

I have made some extremly complex wiring diagrams. You can move the
blocks around, and the wires and labels follow, which make it all worth
while.

Dan

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article . com,
"Ants" wrote:

Hi,

Whats your preffered choice for drawing boat wiring diagrams? Most
electronics CAD software I have seen is more aimed at circuit layout
than wiring. Would be great to have somthing where you could connect
the points but move the objects around etc.

There must be an easy way of drawing these out?

Any suggestions much appreciated! :-)

Many thanks,

Anthony.

I use Aslar's Graphite, for all my CADD stuff, and have built a Library
of Standard Symbols to incorporate in my drawings. Some folks acutally
use AutoCad for this stuff, but I have always felt that was a bit of an
"Overkill".

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Ants wrote:
Hi,

Whats your preffered choice for drawing boat wiring diagrams? Most
electronics CAD software I have seen is more aimed at circuit layout
than wiring. Would be great to have somthing where you could connect
the points but move the objects around etc.

There must be an easy way of drawing these out?

Any suggestions much appreciated! :-)

Many thanks,

Anthony.

I also have used visio for years and it works very well. I have used it
for simple block/flow diagrams as well as very complex electronic and
electrical wiring diagrams. The more complex ones I print out on a
large format HP printer and the outcome is impressive. I have used
other programs(autoCAD, design cad, drafix cad etc.) but still keep
returning to Visio.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
GBM GBM is offline

It would be great if there was a simple drawing program that had typical
boat components as used in wiring an plumbing systems. But, I have not seen
anything like this.

What I have done, is just used Word or Excel. Sometimes you can find .jpgs
of the main components on the web or you can take your own electronic
pictures. These sometimes need to be scaled to a suitable size (can be done
within Excel). Place these wherever you want them. Make up sketches of other
items and place those, then connect the wires - the wires don't stay
connected as they do with special flow diagram software, but can be edited.

Another option, is to find a complete wiring diagram on the net (some
manufacturers have them) and then just edit it in Corel Photopaint or some
such program. I have one here, but it is an Excel file so I can't link it.

"Ants" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Whats your preffered choice for drawing boat wiring diagrams? Most
electronics CAD software I have seen is more aimed at circuit layout
than wiring. Would be great to have somthing where you could connect
the points but move the objects around etc.

There must be an easy way of drawing these out?

Any suggestions much appreciated! :-)

Many thanks,

Anthony.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Open Office seems to have a draw function. The standard flowchart symbols
and arrows are available in draw (controls are at bottom of draw screen),
FREE TOO! http://www.openoffice.org/

"Glen "Wiley" Wilson" wrote in
message ...
On 6 Jul 2006 03:34:23 -0700, "Ants" wrote:

Whats your preffered choice for drawing boat wiring diagrams? Most
electronics CAD software I have seen is more aimed at circuit layout
than wiring. Would be great to have somthing where you could connect
the points but move the objects around etc.

I use Visio for that. You get more of a block diagram than a true
wiring diagram, but it does let you move objects around as you
specified. If you want to see one, take a look at my web site at

http://www.worldwidewiley.com/2boat.shtml

Select the link for "DC System" to grab a pdf I made from a Visio
file.

Wish I had something better (and free) to recommend.

Glen
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/

posted to rec.boats.electronics
F10 F10 is offline

Try Diagram Designer, found at http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/
It is freeware, and after a bit of a learning curve, it worked for me.

Wiring Diagrams little wonder General 1 April 12th 05 07:15 PM
SeaSprite III 1984 wiring diagrams? Manuals Radiax04 General 0 June 16th 04 05:16 PM
Can I use Solid wire for rewiring sailboat if not WHY? Tom Shilson Boat Building 100 June 5th 04 01:28 AM
Can I use Solid wire for rewiring sailboat if not WHY? Tom Shilson Cruising 107 June 5th 04 01:28 AM
REALLY NEED HELP Wiring a 1989 Johnson 130hp Sylvester Sullivan Boat Building 3 April 21st 04 12:55 PM