Tom Shilson

Default Can I use Solid wire for rewiring sailboat if not WHY?

Ytter wrote:

I've heard different opinions what kind of wire is better for wiring
boats.Could you give me some of your expertise?
Thank You,
Ytter

Use tinned, stranded wire. The stranded wire is more flexible and less
likely to break. The tinning prevents salt water/air from seeping under
the insulation and corroding the wire.

Tom
of the Swee****er Sea

JAXAshby

I've heard different opinions what kind of wire is better for wiring
boats.Could you give me some of your expertise?
Thank You,
Ytter

solid wire work hardens and breaks under vibration. Anyone who suggested you
use solid wire is not someone you want to listen to again.
Dan Best

The normal rolling, rocking and especially pounding that boats do can be
enough to impart some motion on any unsupported wires. It doesn't have
to be much, just repeated enough times so that the point where the wire
is flexing work hardens. There really is a reason people use the more
expensive stranded & tinned wire on boats.

Ytter wrote:
WHAT KIND OF VIBRATIONS YOU HAVE ON THE SAILBOAT EXCEPT ENGINE AREA ?

--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979

JAXAshby

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
I've heard different opinions what kind of wire is better for wiring
boats.Could you give me some of your expertise?
Thank You,
Ytter

solid wire work hardens and breaks under vibration. Anyone who suggested

you
use solid wire is not someone you want to listen to again.

how many do you need?

want more?

waves lapping, hobby horsing, harmonics from wind against the rigging,
harmonics against the sails, harmonics against the hull, harmonics from
climbing the wave ...
.... plus second harmonics of all of the above plus others ..

plus third harmonics of all of the above plus others ..

.... plus fourth harmonics ...

Florida Keyz

wow, amazing informatioin from a guy without any boating experience!
MMC

I've recently wondered about the expense of tinned wire when all my wiring
problems come from the terminals and connections on my 30 year old boat with
original wiring.
I know tinned is the latest and greatest, but not too many years back the
latest and greatest was lamp cord. I'm sure there is a new latest and
greatest just around the corner........
MMC
"Tom Shilson" wrote in message
Ytter wrote:

I've heard different opinions what kind of wire is better for wiring
boats.Could you give me some of your expertise?
Thank You,
Ytter

Use tinned, stranded wire. The stranded wire is more flexible and less
likely to break. The tinning prevents salt water/air from seeping under
the insulation and corroding the wire.

Tom
of the Swee****er Sea

Lew Hodgett

Subject

If you have to ask that question, don't even consider the job.

Boats are wired with tinned stranded wire based on some solid engineering.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

engsol

On Wed, 26 May 2004 18:21:36 -0700, "Ytter" wrote:

I've heard different opinions what kind of wire is better for wiring
boats.Could you give me some of your expertise?
Thank You,
Ytter

I'd use stranded. The only application of solid wire I recall was in
telephone central offices, and telephone jack wiring in houses.
As others pointed out, it doesn't take much flexing to work-harden
solid wire and crack. But even stranded needs strain-reliefs
and clamps.
Norm B