Sylvester Sullivan

Default REALLY NEED HELP Wiring a 1989 Johnson 130hp

I need to adapt a 1989 Johnson 130hp to a lobster boat. This boat is
being converted from a Volvo Penta stern drive. So far, the outboard
is mounted on the transom, and the steering and fuel system is hooked
up.

The real problem seems to be in the wiring, and wiring diagrams are
not very complete. The diagram I have only shows the engine wiring and
connector, but not how the controls are hooked up to it. I've just
ordered Intertec's wiring diagram manual which I hope will help. While
this is my first outboard boat, I have a few years experience as an
electronics tech so I should be able to do this job with the right
documentation and advice.

This outboard has a large, round red connector with 8 pins (2 largs
pins and 6 smaller pins). I've called a few dealers and heard various
stories on what I need. I think some of them were more confused than
I was! Once said I need a harness and a "remote control" which
includes shift/throttle, ignition, trim, kill switch, warning horn,
etc all in ne unit for about $400. Another dealer said to just buy
the harness for about $80 and a new ignition switch.

If any of you have had a similar experience, can you please give me
some advice? I don't want to spend anymore than I have to, but will
spend what I need to get this baby wired up and running as quickly and
easily as possible. What is the best way to get this motor wired and
running? I'll order whatever is necessary for a first rate
installation without cutting corners.

Thanks,
Syl
trainfan1

Sylvester Sullivan wrote:
[...]

You need a harness and a "remote control" which includes shift &
throttle, as well as their associated cables & connectors, ignition &
choke switch, trim control buttons, kill switch & tether, & warning
horn. The harness also has the battery cables!

Rob

Stephen

there are two ways you can go

an omc control box will include the wiring harness, with the red plug on
the end, and the shift lever for the cables - throttle cable and shift
cable. Accessories, tach power for fuel gauge trim indicator, can be
accessed the control box just beneath the key. You should be able to
find a used one for considerably less than $400.

example

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tego ry=31283

the other route is to just by a wiring harness, it will come with the
red plug. this will hook up to a key mounted separately on the dash,
all of the wirring for the accessories will be included in the harness.
you will have to get a separate shift box and cables for the gear
shift and throttle.

Stephen

Sylvester Sullivan wrote:
[...]

Brian Whatcott

The power controller drives the throttle cable, the forward/reverse
cable, the ignition/starter switch, the ignition disable switch
(activated if the throttle is not in neutral/idle) the fast idle (via
the throttle cable). If you don't want to buy a new controller, you
could buy a used one.
If you don't want to buy a used one, you need the throttle and the
forward/reverse levers and bowden cables, and the ignition/starter
switch. Manuals are availlable for order on the net, or at some auto
parts stores. $20 which show the wiring.

Brian W

On 20 Apr 2004 13:06:07 -0700, (Sylvester
Sullivan) wrote:

[...]

1989 Johnson 6 hp no reverse or neutral. news General 4 June 10th 04 03:04 AM
help 1989 Johnson 225 LB General 3 April 23rd 04 12:43 PM
REALLY NEED HELP Wiring a 1989 Johnson 130hp Sylvester Sullivan General 3 April 21st 04 12:55 PM
Only Slightly OT Jim General 1 November 19th 03 04:18 AM
1989 Johnson 175 VRO David Little General 1 September 11th 03 04:54 AM