LB

Default help 1989 Johnson 225

I have an "89" Johnson 225. Last year when I winterized the motor everything
worked fine. When I opened my boat this weekend Everything was fine and the
motor started immediately. The problem I'm having is with the tilt system.
The motor tilts all the way up BUT will not return down. The pump is running
but no movement. I let it down manually by opening the manual return valve.
When I tried again it went all the way up but still NO down. Anyone have or
had this problem? I'm hoping for something simple!!
Thanks,
Len

RB

Don't know if your engine is one I'm speaking of but.......
on the older ones, the pivot tube needs somewhat continuous greasing. If
you don't keep it lubed, it will hang up on the down side, just as yours
seems to be doing.

The good news is that a shot of grease will cure it, if that's the problem.

Billgran

"LB" wrote in message
I have an "89" Johnson 225. . The problem I'm having is with the tilt

system.
The motor tilts all the way up BUT will not return down. The pump is

running
but no movement. I let it down manually by opening the manual return

valve.

It sounds like the trim unit is not building up pressure in the "DOWN" side.
Most likely it is a leaking trim down relief valve. Since the unit will trim
up and hold the motor, then the tilt piston seal and impact valves are
operational. Because it lowers when you open the manual release valve, then
the tilt bushings on th motor are not corroded or stiff, which is the most
common complaint of "not getting it down".

Chances are the trim unit will have to come apart to inspect the down relief
valve, but a pressure test can be conducted with the factory tools while the
trim is still attached to the motor. Let us know what they found out.

Bill Grannis
service manager

LB

"Billgran" wrote in message
om...

"LB" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the reply....
"THEY" are not available any longer. I live in New Jersey, The state all but
shut down many of the marine service centers due to NJEPA laws. I have been
in the "industrial" hydraulic industry for 35 years. I do have tools for
testing system pressure etc. The boat is a 2hr. drive from where I live. Can
you tell me if there is a pressure port for the return side and where it's
located?
Thanks again,
Len

REALLY NEED HELP Wiring a 1989 Johnson 130hp Sylvester Sullivan General 3 April 21st 04 12:55 PM
johnson lower unit help Tom K General 0 March 4th 04 03:12 AM
Only Slightly OT Jim General 1 November 19th 03 04:18 AM
1989 Johnson 175 VRO David Little General 1 September 11th 03 04:54 AM
Power lift retrofit for 48 HP Johnson? Rural Knight General 0 August 8th 03 07:30 PM