Billgran

Default help 1989 Johnson 225

"LB" wrote in message
I have an "89" Johnson 225. . The problem I'm having is with the tilt

system.
The motor tilts all the way up BUT will not return down. The pump is

running
but no movement. I let it down manually by opening the manual return

valve.

It sounds like the trim unit is not building up pressure in the "DOWN" side.
Most likely it is a leaking trim down relief valve. Since the unit will trim
up and hold the motor, then the tilt piston seal and impact valves are
operational. Because it lowers when you open the manual release valve, then
the tilt bushings on th motor are not corroded or stiff, which is the most
common complaint of "not getting it down".

Chances are the trim unit will have to come apart to inspect the down relief
valve, but a pressure test can be conducted with the factory tools while the
trim is still attached to the motor. Let us know what they found out.

Bill Grannis
service manager