posted to rec.boats.electronics
John Helgerson

Default Garmin map problem

My Garmin 236 is set to have the map course of the boat at the top. I used
to have it set to have north at the top. Since changing, the Garmin map
seems to refresh every few seconds even if the waypoint is ten miles away
and the map adjusted out to show the entire ten miles. This causes the route
track to jump around too much. Is there a way to stop it from refreshing so
often?

Thanks,

John

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Peter Bennett

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:11:57 -0300, "John Helgerson"
wrote:

My Garmin 236 is set to have the map course of the boat at the top. I used
to have it set to have north at the top. Since changing, the Garmin map
seems to refresh every few seconds even if the waypoint is ten miles away
and the map adjusted out to show the entire ten miles. This causes the route
track to jump around too much. Is there a way to stop it from refreshing so
often?

Change it back to "North Up"?

If you set it to "Course Up", it will have to refresh the screen every
time it senses that the heading has changed - since it is not possible
to steer an absolutely straight course, the heading _will_ change
frequently.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson

John Helgerson wrote:
My Garmin 236 is set to have the map course of the boat at the top. I
used to have it set to have north at the top. Since changing, the
Garmin map seems to refresh every few seconds even if the waypoint is
ten miles away and the map adjusted out to show the entire ten miles.
This causes the route track to jump around too much. Is there a way
to stop it from refreshing so often?

Thanks,

John

Try with it set to north up and see if the problem relates to the track-up
function only.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On the 152 and 182C that I have, you hit "menu", "Set up map", then choose
"North UP". I have also noticed that as my 182C gets full of waypoints,
tracks and routes, the refresh of the map gets a lot slower.
Lee Haefele
"John Helgerson" wrote in message
My Garmin 236 is set to have the map course of the boat at the top. I used
to have it set to have north at the top. Since changing, the Garmin map
seems to refresh every few seconds even if the waypoint is ten miles away
and the map adjusted out to show the entire ten miles. This causes the
route
track to jump around too much. Is there a way to stop it from refreshing
so
often?

Thanks,

John

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On a related topic, I just installed the latest, version 4.2, operating
system and a fresh Americas database on the 296... Upon restarting it
greeted me with the message that there was NO terrain database to be
found... yes, it was there before Hmm, bamned gremlins!

Called Garmin and talked to Stan... He allowed as how he has never seen
that particular crash before... He had me download a fresh terrain
database ($150 MSRP) and provided me with an unlock key code on
Garmin's nickle... All working now... But, getting used to all the new
colors, screen layout, etc., will take some time... I was running with
the original operating system, ver 1.0 or some such... Obviously
there have been changes...

denny

Garmin map problem John Helgerson Electronics 0 June 29th 06 01:10 PM
Problem with my 1978 Sea Star 165hp Mercruiser Starting Problem smoothz1977 Boat Building 3 June 21st 06 07:04 PM
Speedometer advice & starting problem oelf92 General 5 June 17th 06 03:11 AM
GArmin 498 Problem Scott Electronics 1 June 13th 06 12:19 PM
Garmin Problems, Anyone Else Got em? DownTime General 4 April 10th 06 04:33 PM