oelf92

Default Speedometer advice & starting problem

PROBLEM 1: I have a 94 Chaparral w/ a 350MAG Mercruiser. I recently took
the outdrive off for servicing and after replacing the speedometer didn't
work. It is defintely connected What are the best ways to trouble shoot
this problem out of the water?

Also I previously posted the following: -----------
REOCURRING PROBLEM 2:
I have a 94' Mercruiser V8 350 engine in my boat (21' chaparral). For the
past year I have had some difficulty starting it. I dry dock it and when I
start it up on the hose in the beginning of the weekend to make sure
everything is working before taking it out, it's extremely difficult to
start, I usually have to put it in neutral and pump/push it forward and back
maybe 5 times then almost put the throttle all the way forward for it to
start (and still it has to crank for a about 5 seconds before it starts),
once started i run it at maybe 2000rpm for a minute or two then I can put it
back to idle and no problem. If I let it run for a while the next time i go
to start it, it turns over perfectly.... Now when I put it in the water an
hour or two later, i have the same problem except it is magnified and more
difficult to start.

As for the starting problem, i have tried pumping the throttle like 10-15
times before starting, but still takes forever....

THANKS FOR ANY HELP..

Jim

Try cranking the throttle wide open once then return to neutral the crank it
open just a hair. This usually works. You might need to adjust the choke a
little. 14 pumps is probably flooding the engine.
Blow out the sterndrive petot with compressed air or a garden hose. Blow on
the hose with your mouth and have a friend watch to see if the meter moves.
Make sure the tubing isn't kinked or punctured.
"oelf92" wrote in message
[...]

Jim, mine does the same thing, only not to that extreme. I changed out
the point set to a pertronix electronic (it DOES run better!) but a
cold start takes a bit of cranking.

I'm not sure, but does mercruiser use a low oil pressure kill switch?
so you have to have oil pressure before it wil fire?

That's what my 3.0 acts like....

"oelf92" wrote in message
[...]

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...
Jim, mine does the same thing, only not to that extreme. I changed out
the point set to a pertronix electronic (it DOES run better!) but a
cold start takes a bit of cranking.

4 questions:

What are the benefits of this electronic ignition system?

How difficult was the installation?

Has the cold start problem have a fix?

Are you glad you installed it or wish you still had the old system?

TIA!