posted to rec.boats.electronics
Denny Denny is offline

Default Garmin map problem

On a related topic, I just installed the latest, version 4.2, operating
system and a fresh Americas database on the 296... Upon restarting it
greeted me with the message that there was NO terrain database to be
found... yes, it was there before Hmm, bamned gremlins!

Called Garmin and talked to Stan... He allowed as how he has never seen
that particular crash before... He had me download a fresh terrain
database ($150 MSRP) and provided me with an unlock key code on
Garmin's nickle... All working now... But, getting used to all the new
colors, screen layout, etc., will take some time... I was running with
the original operating system, ver 1.0 or some such... Obviously
there have been changes...

denny