posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Nmea /dsc

"kirwoodd" wrote in news:1168100467.974287.297950@
51g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

Yeah, it would be great to go to best buy and get an ethernet hub for
the boat. It would rely on 120vac (but that is fixable) and it would
allow me runs up to 300', repeaters, and routing. JUST what I need on a
43' boat.

Hmm...all my little routers/hubs/wifi routers run on 12VDC from the
little bricks plugged into the UPS. Converting them to the boat means
plugging in a cigarette lighter cord.

One must admit it would be really cool to be able to attach your wifi-
connected laptop to whatever instrument is on the network...or all of
them at once...without the wires, whereever you happen to be. I have
Lionheart so configured on NMEA 0183 with a Webfoot plugged into the RS-
232C computer port on the Noland multiplexer. Webfoot converts serial to
TCP/IP with full DHCP addressing. It's plugged into a Netgear wifi
router. "Virtual Serial Port" software comes with Webfoot so you can
address it over any network. All you need is its IP address...even from
the beach! The Cap'n, our nav software, connects to COM3 (the VSP fake
serial port) and doesn't know the difference. I can connect up to 255
computers to the Webfoot's IP and have had 4 connected simultaneously it
feeds data to. Of course, it's best if you don't have more than one
Cap'n sending back data to the network because The Cap'ns can't talk to
each other over the wifi as they don't know about the others....(c;

When I first got it running I took the laptop up to a beanbag under the
genoa and steered from there. Crabber toilet floats are easier to see
without the sails in the way. Coming about is more fun. You secure your
beer so it won't spill, click the new waypoint and hollar "Coming
about!" back aft to the winch slaves tending sails. Now retrimmed on the
new tack, your beer is waiting....(c;

Ethernet is AWESOME when you have LOTS of hosts that you want/need to
address individually. Note how well multicast has done. If they used
ethernet for the NMEA spec, it would be a total horror show. AND all of
your devices would cost more as the manufacturers would have to do MORE
software engineering to compensate for ethernets shortcomings for this
applicaiton. Dont get me wrong, NMEA is totally bjorked, but using
ethernet would NOT have been the answer. If manufacturers want to use
ethernet for their proprietary data transfers, thats cool, but why make
my temp sensor use a heavy ethernet interface?

I'm sitting here talking to a friend on my wifi Skype phone from Netgear:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Comm...pe/SPH101.aspx
He's in Moncton, NB. It's free.

I can't help, thinking about the little wifi transceiver in this phone,
how wonderful it would be for BOATERS, not dealers, if you simply plugged
your new GPS/Plotter into 12VDC and it attached itself to the boat's wifi
router, plug n play, announcing to all the other wifi instruments,
controllers, plotters, etc., that it was new and here and at 192.168.1.35
for a connection. Anyone needing GPS data would simply connect to one of
its 65,535 ports and start sucking on that tit for GPS data. At
802.11g's 108Mbps, of course, there'd be zero waiting, no matter how many
wifi gadgets were on the boat isolated from the rest of the wifi world.

We'd simply eliminate ALL data wires radiating like hell all over the
boat to screw up the HF receiver and BE screwed up by the HF
transmitter...(c;

I for one welcome our new CAN bearing overlords and am looking forward
to their benelovent, data sharing rule.

Oh, me, too! It's always fun to watch the NMEA action and see what the
next round of proprietary nonsense comes out trying to stop me from
connecting a Garmin gadget to a Raymarine gadget to a B&G gadget to a
Furuno gadget.

Oh, by the way....with wifi, the analog radar display would be STREAMED
as one of the compressed video streams to anyone who wanted to connect to
it. You can watch the radar from your bunk on any browser from the
radar's own webpage interface....same as the masthead steerable webcam
looking over the horizon on its webpage in realtime. You can even show
them to the nice folks back home if you connect the Ethernet on the
satellite phone to our boat's router...at great expense, of course. Just
plug the webcam up top into 12V and it'll logon to the DHCP same as
everyone else.

Yep, CAN is THE way to go!

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Larry you are one funny guy.

Dont get me wrong, I love ethernet on the boat, and would like MORE
things to be ethernet. I get the weather/radar/chart on the
chart-plotter, like you said, why not make it available as a stream for
my slate?

But nmea isnt for moving large UI stuff, streaming video, etc, its for
sharing data. So I am cool with having a small CAN bus for heading,
temp, wind, dsc, blah blah blah. But I would prefer ethernet for things
like radar images.

Hows that Noland unit working out? The USB unit looks nice, I am in the
market for such a device, but would prefer one with NMEA filtering.
Does the Noland filter? It doesnt look like it from the web page.For
readers other than Larry:
http://www.nolandengineering.com/nm42u.php

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Without getting to the extreme "cyber-space-boat" do you know of a cheap
device/gateway that in some way make the CAN-net interface on my Gramin 292
usefull for communicating either with the brookhouse nmea hub, seatalk or my
PC ??

Do anyone know if the Garm292 can communicate on the nmea/garmin port and
the CAN-net at the same time. Don't seem to find much CAN information in the
manual ....

Bjarke

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Bjarke,
whats the actual problem that you are trying to solve? Cant you just
use the nmea output and fan it out? As I recall an nmea output port
can handle four devices, If you already have four listeners, you can
use something like the device that larry uses (
http://www.nolandengineering.com/nm42u.php )

is there something that the can port supports that the older style nmea
doesnt?

On Jan 6, 4:26 pm, "Bjarke M. Christensen"
bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote:
Without getting to the extreme "cyber-space-boat" do you know of a cheap
device/gateway that in some way make the CAN-net interface on my Gramin 292
usefull for communicating either with the brookhouse nmea hub, seatalk or my
PC ??

Do anyone know if the Garm292 can communicate on the nmea/garmin port and
the CAN-net at the same time. Don't seem to find much CAN information in the
manual ....

Bjarke

"Larry" wrote in .253...

[...]

Yep, CAN is THE way to go!- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Hi,
For filtering NMEA, read this:
http://www.brookhouseonline.com/pdf%...nipulation.pdf

Plano

"kirwoodd" wrote in message
ps.com...
Larry you are one funny guy.

Dont get me wrong, I love ethernet on the boat, and would like MORE
things to be ethernet. I get the weather/radar/chart on the
chart-plotter, like you said, why not make it available as a stream for
my slate?

But nmea isnt for moving large UI stuff, streaming video, etc, its for
sharing data. So I am cool with having a small CAN bus for heading,
temp, wind, dsc, blah blah blah. But I would prefer ethernet for things
like radar images.

Hows that Noland unit working out? The USB unit looks nice, I am in the
market for such a device, but would prefer one with NMEA filtering.
Does the Noland filter? It doesnt look like it from the web page.For
readers other than Larry:
http://www.nolandengineering.com/nm42u.php

posted to rec.boats.electronics

the nmea site has a list of certified devices:
http://www.nmea.org/about/news.cgi?article_id=177
maybe one of them does what you want.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Well basicly that the 292 (opposite the old 182) only have one NMEA/Garmin
port, which require one constantly to switch between NMEA mode (for normal
operation) and Garmin mode for up and downloading of routers/waypoints and
tracks to mapsource or whatever application your are using for that.

I'm in the process of evaluating to use a brookhouse nmea hub to connect my
Garm292, pc, seatalk (wind, speed, depth), vhf and a new AIS blackbox, I'd
like to get AIS information on the Garm292 apart from ofcause to be able to
control the Gram292 from the PC for up/downloading.

Could be nice if I could keep the NMEA port on NMEA and do the Garmin stuff
to the PC via the CANnet interface ... But the other way around might do as
well ??

Bjarke

"kirwoodd" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry
T-ROY wrote in news:T-
:

This is very good information. I recently purchased a Icom M422 and
trying to iinterface with a Garmin 178C. The same problems spec was
having are identical to the problems I'm having. I have my MMSI number
in tried several ways to wire it with no success. I to was on the phone
with Garmin and Icom and they suggested all the ways I have tried. Can
someone out there post there solution that is working.

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/494_OwnersManual.pdf
On page 96 of the Garmin 178C owner's manual, notice there are TWO data
channels in this unit Comm 1 and Comm 2. TX Comm 1 is, indeed, the blue
wire and TX Comm 2 is the green wire in the cable. Black is,
unfortunately, DC and data ground, same as my 185S.

On page 86-87, open MAIN MENU then COMM TAB and set the Garmin for NMEA
IN/OUT, not the proprietary Garmin data. If you don't have other Garmin
devices to talk to, set both ports for NMEA IN/OUT to avoid this nonsense
in the future. Notice how the bottom of page 87 says:

"You may also adjust the NMEA output to enable/disable certain sentences
and adjust the number of
Lat/Lon output precision digits. You must have one of the ports set to
NMEA In/NMEA Out to use this
option. Settings affects both Port 1 and Port 2 NMEA outputs."

This means the NMEA statements can be shut off individually in the menus.
Garmin's manual sucks explaining this, as usual, because they want you to
get your Garmin DEALER to install it to make him happy. Hold that
thought and let's go look at the Icom manual.......

http://icomamerica.com/products/marine/m422/specs.asp
"NMEA In/out formats : RMC, CGA, GNS, GLL"
These are the statements the new radio is looking for, well, the last 3
letters of the statements, anyways.....

http://icomamerica.com/support/manuals/m422_manual.pdf
On page 35, NMEA IN is the RED lead (again black is ground, damn them.)
So, we'll hook the BLUE lead from Comm 1 of the Garmin to the RED lead
NMEA IN on the Icom. While we're here and have this nice Chart Plotter
Garmin, let's hook NMEA OUT (the white lead) on the ICOM to the Comm 1
NMEA IN (the brown wire) on the Garmin cable. This SHOULD, but may not,
allow us to automatically plot any DSC distress calls the ICOM receives
on Channel 70..directly on the Garmin charts.

The Icom sends out DSC and DSE statements to the Garmin. But, on page 96
of the Garmin manual, there is no reference to DSC or DSE statements on
the list, there. However, back on page 81 you turn ON the DSC charting
function from MAIN MENU then DSC tab. Turn the DSC to ON, which should
make it read one of these DSC/DSE statements and do "something" the
damned manual doesn't really say what, which isn't new. Don't worry
about MMSI in the Garmin. You can play with that some other time. We
want it to plot ALL stations, not just one.

OK, so the Garmin Comm 1 should be now hooked to the Icom NMEA wires with
a common black wire between them (not depending on the battery wires,
please!)....

Power on the GARMIN and let it sync to the birds. While it's got you
waiting, check the NMEA output statement list and make sure statements
GPRMC, GPCGA, GPGNS and GPGLL are active, not disabled. As there is no
settable speed on these ports any more, we'll assume they are 4800 baud,
n/8/1 and auto setting. It's about time.

Ok, Garmin has a fix, turn on the ICOM with all fingers crossed. Does
the lat/long from the Garmin show up on the Icom display? No? Of course
it doesn't! This Icom HAS NO LAT/LONG DISPLAY! Look at page 4 of the
Icom manual, bubble number 7 the "GPS" indicator on the display. Is it a
solid GPS? If so, the Icom has a fix. If it's blinking, we have data
coming out of the Garmin, but none of the statements the Icom is looking
for is in the data stream to it, or there's noise/hum/buzz/crap from the
damned unbalanced wiring both these companies are using...damn them
again! That's the ONLY display of GPS information on the M422. It costs
a lot more money, M602, to get that lat/long display. Have one, what a
waste...it's a VHF RADIO. This unit's much better and easier to use. If
there is no little GPS symbol at all, there's no signal at all from the
Garmin...wiring error, shorted wires, defective equipment, etc.... It's
gotta be a steady, non-blinky GPS display.

Ok, once we gots all that workin', get the new Autopilot installed and
we'll hook it to Garmin's Comm 2! No sense leavin' perfectly good wires
just dangling there with no toys attached, right?!

Hope this helped you a little better....All this crap needs a good
Ethernet jack on it plugged into a router you can get at any Circuit City
for $60. Then, the radio would KNOW who the GPS, Chartplotter, Autopilot
and other gadgets was from their BROADCASTS and the router could easily
route like a little LAN as it should....not this wrappin wires together
crap we're buying now. How awful......

Larry W4CSC
Chief Engineer S/V "Lionheart" - WDB6254
Charleston Harbor
"Don't call me 'Captain'! I'm not to blame!"
GOT IT WORKING!!!! Thanks Larry for taking the time and write a reply. This is what I did wrong. I did not ground the shield wire that is wrapped around the Icom lead in and out. I don't know why I was not thinking of that earlier. Garmin, in its manual, shows that in the diagram. I think Icom could mention that in the manual to ground the shield wire or if they do put it bold lettering for people like me who rather fish than do electrical work.
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"kirwoodd" wrote in news:1168117778.260581.68120@
51g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

Hows that Noland unit working out? The USB unit looks nice, I am in the
market for such a device, but would prefer one with NMEA filtering.
Does the Noland filter? It doesnt look like it from the web page.For
readers other than Larry:

I'm dragging my feet installing the USB Noland Geoffrey bought. It's a
logistics problem on Lionheart. There's a wireway overhead the
passageway from the helm station inside the cabinet over the galley to
the nav station on the starboard hull that's just STUFFED with all this
stuff. Designing with NMEA 0183 in mind, I installed a 25 pair cable
(also because I got it free on a 500' spool..(c The RS-232C connected
Noland is wired into this station-to-station cable and serves us well.
USB is another matter being much faster. I can't get away with this
cable on USB, so would have to completely rewire the network through the
25 pair cable and put the new Noland at the nav station, instead of where
it is, now. I'd also have to buy an adapter from its USB to RS-232C to
connect it to the wifi Webfoot Ethernet adapter or lose wifi all
together.

We gain nothing with the new Noland. I may use it to increase the input
by daisy chaining it onto one of the old Noland ports. My captain bought
it because the guy who sold him a new AIS receiver said he needed it to
connect AIS to the system at 38,800 baud. Of course, it doesn't INPUT
38,800 baud...only outputs 38,800...rendering it useless for that. The
USB adapter will have to be between the AIS receiver and a USB port on
the helm station computer, I think, so AIS will input to The Cap'n nav
software. We're still discussing its installation. He doesn't like the
self-contained AIS he bought, first, because you can't really see where
the targets are on its tiny LCD screen as there's no chart, of course.
There's also no output data from it to connect to the NMEA network. The
new receiver doesn't output NMEA AIS data, either...just 38,800 baud RS-
232C which I THINK, but don't yet know for sure, if The Cap'n can read.
It says it can, but it said other things it can't either.

Noone asked me about buying it. It just appears with, "Can you make this
work?"....(c; He loves his toys...We're gonna need bigger batteries...
(c;

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Bjarke M. Christensen" bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in
:

Without getting to the extreme "cyber-space-boat" do you know of a
cheap device/gateway that in some way make the CAN-net interface on my
Gramin 292 usefull for communicating either with the brookhouse nmea
hub, seatalk or my PC ??

Of COURSE not! All this NMEA 2000 is REALLY a plan to SELL MORE BOXES!
All old boxes are all, now, obsolete and will have to be replaced at great
expense on all boats with rich owners. Nothing will interface with CANbus
you have now and everthing will be done to keep it that way so you can
trudge off to Waste Marine for more Waste. NOTHING is gonna be "cheap"!

What we need is about 8 more proprietary Raymarine H6, Seatalk, Seatalk 2,
GarminTalk, NMEA, CANbus, B&G h2000, B&G h3000, B&G Network, Furuno Navnet
vx1, Furuno Navnet vx2, etc., data interface systems that can only talk to
each other if we buy a $150 "box" which PARTIALLY converts SOME of the data
between them you don't need.

One of the reasons computer manufacturers get so rich is they have enough
SENSE to make SURE their box will plug into anyone else's box with full
functionality....except Apple, of course.

One of these days, affluent boaters are gonna wise up.....

how to read AIS data from encapsulated NMEA VDO sentence [email protected] Electronics 12 July 14th 06 01:15 AM
Objective of NMEA luc Electronics 27 March 7th 06 12:51 PM
Nmea and seatalk to TCP / IP nimbusgb Electronics 20 February 2nd 06 01:42 PM
Getting nmea connections into my laptop beaufortnc Cruising 15 December 30th 05 04:50 AM
Cool! Bennett trim tab indicators now interface with NMEA 2000 standard NOYB General 2 November 17th 05 03:57 PM