posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Nmea /dsc

"Bjarke M. Christensen" bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in
:

a new AIS blackbox, I'd
like to get AIS information on the Garm292 apart from ofcause to be
able to control the Gram292 from the PC for up/downloading.

Look carefully at the AIS black box manual. Notice how it says it runs at
ONLY 38,800 baud (bits/second)? NMEA is 4800 baud and won't go 38,800
baud. The Noland multiplexer has an OUTPUT you can get 38,800 baud OUT of,
but no INPUT to feed the 38,800 baud AIS black box INTO. Why AIS boxes
meant to be plugged into a BOAT, 99% of which are running 4800 baud
NMEA0183 V2 or 3, doesn't run 4800 Baud NMEA data output probably isn't a
mystery. NMEA wants big LICENSING FEES for their turf and the Chinese AIS
manufacturers didn't pony up.

I'm staring at how to interface it all on Lionheart with AIS. It sucks.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

T-ROY wrote in news:T-ROY.2k0k38
@news.boatbanter.com:

GOT IT WORKING!!!! Thanks Larry for taking the time and write a reply.
This is what I did wrong. I did not ground the shield wire that is
wrapped around the Icom lead in and out. I don't know why I was not
thinking of that earlier. Garmin, in its manual, shows that in the
diagram. I think Icom could mention that in the manual to ground the
shield wire or if they do put it bold lettering for people like me who
rather fish than do electrical work.

Ding! All they need is a little shove to get them over the side of the
dock....(c;

Glad you got it going. MAKE A COMPLETE SYSTEM DRAWING OF YOUR ENTIRE
ELECTRONICS SUITE IMMEDIATELY! You'll NEVER remember how it's hooked up
next year when it quits. DETAILED DRAWING WITH LOTS OF NOTES!

I went aboard a boat not long ago and couldn't even figure out what
breaker went to what. No labels, no drawings, no notes, no
nothing.....stupid, stupid, STUPID!

Label the WIRES. Label the Connections. When you label the wires,
devise a short code for the label telling you the wire's DESTINATION
like:

243GNoutNS-------------------------------------------243GNoutH

Wire number 243 on the master drawing going to NS Nav Station from the
Helm. GNout means Garmin NMEA output. Once it goes through that little
hole, it might have well as gone to Mars! Tracing it out next year
really SUCKS!

You're standing staring into the wireway where it comes out to the Nav
Station. "Which wire is the NMEA output of the Garmin
Plotter/GPS/Sounder?", you ask noone special. "Ah, there it is,
243GNoutH goes up to the Garmin at the Helm." I didn't even need to pull
out the drawing to see which wire number it is. I can tell that wire
from 84RSoutH, the Raymarine Seatalk out from the Helm, real easy....at
sea, at night, in the waves, hanging on for dear life.

I'm also a real LED whore. If you put a 10 cent LED in series with a 1K
resistor across all data lines, you can tell IF there's data or IF it's
dead or locked to a 1 or 0. Blue LEDs are the NMEA Master Output
Network. Red LEDs are DC power (+12V). Green LEDs are Seatalk. Yellow
LEDs are each instrument's data output (B&G Network NMEA data is all
daisy chained so there's a yellow LED between each unit.)

See all the blinky lights? It's working. Oh, oh, no blinky lights from
the XXXX, but everything else is blinky. No wonder XXXX isn't showing up
on The Cap'n. I can open the cabinet in the dark and just look at the
box and see it. Too easy....ten cents. The box at the Nav Station hangs
under the panel so I don't have to open it...(c; I'm lazy.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Thats why I'm looking at the brookhouse nmea mux. It says "The optional 5th
input port can be used for connection of a NMEA-HS talker such as an AIS
receiver. This port can also be configured for a normal low-speed NMEA
device" and customer evidence seems sucessfull.

Bjarke

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

That's the correct mux for an AIS receiver installation, not the Noland
my Cap'n bought at the boat show. It has no 38,800 baud input.

I've emailed the appropriate webpages to him and hope he can return the
uninstalled Noland. Thanks for the information on the Brookhouse. All
our sailing instruments are B&G "Network" instrument, the now-
discontinued NMEA-0183 compatible ring of instruments that loop through
each other, each adding its statements to the ring for all to read. You
simply pull out one wire, the data wire from anywhere in the ring and
connect it to one input of the mux and all the data from all the
instruments shows up on the network. That's not possible with B&G's new
H series any more, which is why I just added more "Network" instruments
to the ones that came on the boat as "obsolete" by the previous owner.
You can still get "Network" instruments from lots of sources at very
reasonable prices.

The Brookhouse mux with 5th HS port for the AIS input, but still with RS-
232C port I can leave in place of our old Noland will fill the need very
nicely on Lionheart. 38.8Kbaud will make it through my 25-pair helm-to-
nav data cable just fine. That way, I can leave the AIS receiver behind
the nav station's electronics panel where it shares the mizzen Metz
Manta6 VHF antenna with the M59 emergency VHF transceiver through a
proper coax switch. The main VHF is Icom M602 my Cap'n just HAD to have
to match the M802 HF...total overkill. NOONE needs a $US500 VHF radio on
a SAILBOAT!

Again, thank you for the information....

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"kirwoodd" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hows that Noland unit working out? The USB unit looks nice, I am in the
market for such a device, but would prefer one with NMEA filtering.

See www.shipmodul.com/en/miniplex-42usb.html

Meindert

how to read AIS data from encapsulated NMEA VDO sentence [email protected] Electronics 12 July 14th 06 01:15 AM
Objective of NMEA luc Electronics 27 March 7th 06 12:51 PM
Nmea and seatalk to TCP / IP nimbusgb Electronics 20 February 2nd 06 01:42 PM
Getting nmea connections into my laptop beaufortnc Cruising 15 December 30th 05 04:50 AM
Cool! Bennett trim tab indicators now interface with NMEA 2000 standard NOYB General 2 November 17th 05 03:57 PM